Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Rating of the night? Sky Living's new 3 part drama The Enfield Haunting, which pulled in an excellent 0.75m (3.4%) at 9pm.

Excellent! Does that include +1 Dancc?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The C Word: 3.79m (17.4%)

Home Fires: 4.33m (19.6%) exc. HD and +1

I don't know why people are surprised by this. The C Word is hardly jolly bank holiday viewing is it? It was never going to get a huge rating as it is too close to home for many who've experienced the real thing.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,092
    Forum Member
    Rating of the night? Sky Living's new 3 part drama The Enfield Haunting, which pulled in an excellent 0.75m (3.4%) at 9pm.

When you take in time shift and on demand, I suspect it could end up close to 2 million. Nice to see a Sky commissioned UK drama do well at last.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,687
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Excellent! Does that include +1 Dancc?
    No it doesn't.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few others before I'm on my way:

World Snooker Championships: 1.95m (9.5%)
    Celebrity Squares: 1.63m (8.6%) exc. HD and +1
    Sunday Night at the Palladium: 3.59m (17.0%) exc. HD and +1
    8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown: 1.09m (5.0%) exc. +1
    Legally Blonde: 0.81m (4.1%) exc. +1
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: 0.92m (4.3%)
    Hawaii Five-O: 0.54m (2.5%)

With HD and +1 Sunday night at the Palladium will be higher than The C Word
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had thought The C Word wouldn't do all that well, but I did expect it to be over 4 million. It just seemed too depressing for a large audience. Probably still dented Home Fires a bit with it having a 30 minute headstart though.

Looks like a solid start for Home Fires although it won't have much room to fall. I wish it had been given a better lead-in though. Palladium seems to have done reasonably to be fair but something bigger would have been nice. Palladium did quite well though considering the horror show that was Celebrity Squares before it.

Looks very low for Cats Does Countdown there. Might do better once it shifts back to Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I don't know why people are surprised by this. The C Word is hardly jolly bank holiday viewing is it? It was never going to get a huge rating as it is too close to home for many who've experienced the real thing.

This is it. The C Word was well made but is it appealing to lots of people on a Bank Holiday weekend? You can understand why Home Fires did better. No surprise why Palladium did better. Being nowhere near Strictly helped, it's also a good alternative to what's on BBC1. Shame Bradley Walsh isn't the regular host.

And Celebrity Squares is toast. Give it up ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is it. The C Word was well made but is it appealing to lots of people on a Bank Holiday weekend? You can understand why Home Fires did better. No surprise why Palladium did better. Being nowhere near Strictly helped, it's also a good alternative to what's on BBC1. Shame Bradley Walsh isn't the regular host.

And Celebrity Squares is toast. Give it up ITV.

I agree, I'm not sure why they are persisting with guest hosts, especially as most of them are just the same as the last series anyway. I imagine it skews quite old, so Jimmy Carr and Jack Whitehall aren't likely to appeal to that crowd, even though personally I like both. Jason Manford is rubbish so won't appeal to anyone.

Alexander Armstrong might be good next week though, he's the only one who didn't do the last series.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    When you take in time shift and on demand, I suspect it could end up close to 2 million. Nice to see a Sky commissioned UK drama do well at last.

There's been quite a few.

All the on demand viewings watched before last night's broadcast won't be picked
    up The last two episodes are already available so they will go uncounted too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    I agree, I'm not sure why they are persisting with guest hosts, especially as most of them are just the same as the last series anyway. I imagine it skews quite old, so Jimmy Carr and Jack Whitehall aren't likely to appeal to that crowd, even though personally I like both. Jason Manford is rubbish so won't appeal to anyone.

Alexander Armstrong might be good next week though, he's the only one who didn't do the last series.

I like Armstrong. Palladium works with a regular comedian host like the original did. Why ITV can't see that is beyond me! We should be grateful they haven't used Holly Willoughby.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home Fires got 5.2m with HD and +1 included. Palladium got 4.2m.

Even with the aid of timeshift viewing, Celeb Squares could still only manage 1.9m.
  • Options
    Greg_ScottGreg_Scott Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Actually you can drink legally 24 hours a day in Dublin so shouldn't be a problem for the EDL, the pubs round the docks are open all night.

You can't drink 24 hours a day and the dockside pubs are unlikely to be admitting England fans. Most of them are full of Sinn Fein supporters
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg_Scott wrote: »
    You can't drink 24 hours a day and the dockside pubs are unlikely to be admitting England fans. Most of them are full of Sinn Fein supporters

I know I've been there:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »

Even with the aid of timeshift viewing, Celeb Squares could still only manage 1.9m.

Thanks for those. :)

Pretty good ratings for Palladium and Home Fires. Fires was scheduled for 21:00-22:05 but ended at 22:01 so might have been 5.3/5.4m tapechecked. Awful for Celebrity Squares. They should just get rid. Repeats of Celeb Chase were getting 3 million at 6.30 a few weeks back, they should put those on at 7pm and bump Squares to 6.15.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly shocking ratings there- I really thought the subject matter and star-power of Sheridan Smith would easily see that with 6m upwards. I guess this was a topic too close to home for many, who simply didn't want to be reminded of this through drama. Nevertheless I suspect the drama and Smith herself will be recognised by BAFTA etc as it was an outstanding performance.

To me Home Fires appeared dreary from the trailers so surprised that did so well.

The thread on DS told you what was going to happen. More posts about not watching. Without Sheridan it would have been sub 3m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Bushmills.

Good start for Home Fires I'd say. Will probably hold up against Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Palladium did well too. But Celebrity Squares is a flop. If ITV bring it back after this then they're dumber than I thought.
  • Options
    Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Palladium and Home Fires were perfect Bank Holiday Sunday night viewing for most of the family.

The C Word was a more hard hitting adult drama
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Time for me go watch it by alternative sources then.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

While I agree with that and it was the reason I did not watch it has to be said that terminal illness dramas have done well previously I am sure, so I expected a bit more. Maybe just the wrong day as suggested.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    While I agree with that and it was the reason I did not watch it has to be said that terminal illness dramas have done well previously I am sure, so I expected a bit more. Maybe just the wrong day as suggested.

You have to wonder what the BBC was playing at putting it out on a Bank Holiday weekend, when it wasn't likely to pull in as big an audience as it might otherwise …

I don't know if the FMs branding The C Word as too depressing actually watched it, because I'd argue that wasn't the case at all: considering the subject matter, it was a good balance of poignant and funny, and managed to be uplifting despite its subject matter. I'd be curious what the final consolidated/iPlayer comes to - because it certainly wasn't the gloom-fest some people seem to have been expecting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Armstrong. Palladium works with a regular comedian host like the original did. Why ITV can't see that is beyond me! We should be grateful they haven't used Holly Willoughby.

I can understand why the first series had different hosts as itv didnt have much time to find another host after Peter Kay pulled out but the second series should have had one host only
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I think it could be due to HF being a 6 part drama and The C word was a one off and next week is the Bafta awards

Speaking of the Bafta's, although the C Word is too late for this year awards, I could see the drama picking up a few awards next year. For those who didn't watch for whatever reason, It is a shame. A truly uplifting drama. Well done to Sheridan and all concerned and to the BBC for airing this drama.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few others before I'm on my way:

World Snooker Championships: 1.95m (9.5%)
    Celebrity Squares: 1.63m (8.6%) exc. HD and +1
    Sunday Night at the Palladium: 3.59m (17.0%) exc. HD and +1
    8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown: 1.09m (5.0%) exc. +1
    Legally Blonde: 0.81m (4.1%) exc. +1
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: 0.92m (4.3%)

Hopeless for Celebrity Squares, even snooker, which is considered a bit passe these days, did better. Even Palladium didn't do well. It's proof that reviving very old shows doesn't always work. Celebrity Squares wasn't that good in the late seventies and Palladium's heyday was in the sixties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Hopeless for Celebrity Squares, even snooker, which is considered a bit passe these days, did better. Even Palladium didn't do well. It's proof that reviving very old shows doesn't always work. Celebrity Squares wasn't that good in the late seventies and Palladium's heyday was in the sixties.

Palladium got 4.2 million when HD and +1 was included which is higher than the drama on bbc 1
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

Hawaii Five-O has got to be one of Sky1's most consistent performers. Now in it's fifth season - and still pulling in good numbers and up on last few weeks too.

Season averages:

Season 1: 863k
    Season 2: 1.08m
    Season 3: 876k (inc +: 997k)
    Season 4: 826k (inc +: 931k)
    Season 5: 851k (inc +1: 920k)*

*still airing (4-more consolidated numbers still to come but most likely will be around the season 4 average)

Home Fires started well - about a million more than I was expecting. And Palladium also put in a good rating. Overall, not a bad weekend for ITV - with the exception of Celeb Squares and Play It To The Whistle.
This discussion has been closed.