Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    kevthelutonbeekevthelutonbee Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Michelle is such a good wedding planner surely she knows where to cut corners

Alternatively how about a ITV/BBC3 crossover show where Steve and Michelle are on Don't Tell the Bride?
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was that finger pointing with callum and nick all about, thinks he's bloody spiderman now, he just looked an idiot, just knee him in the crotch and smack him up, odious little man
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The whole motor home thing was just plain wrong. I live on the south coast of Dorset and every summer our local council plays cat and mouse with travellers.

We currently have eleven motor homes and three caravans occupying a local beauty spot car park. They arrived on Friday, knowing that Monday was a bank holiday, and the council can't go to court until today to get an eviction order, then they will serve notice on them and they will have 24 hours to move on - to another open space in the town and the process will start again. Legally the council has to send a welfare officer and a medical person to make sure that everyone has access to everything they need. In the meantime to avoid some of the mess they leave behind, the council provides them with portable toilets and a rubbish skip. This will go on throughout the summer from Mayday Bank holiday until the beginning of September when they all gather at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. Even if they break into a space, no-one can be arrested and prosecuted because the individual who has done the breaking in has to be identified and anyone ho didn't do it would be unlawfully imprisoned.

If there was a transit camp, they could be moved on straight away, but we are a unitary authority with nowhere this could be established. We can't use the ones already set up in Dorset because our council is separate from them.

An English judge in an English court decreed that travellers came under the same ethnic group as gypsies, and under EU law gypsies are allowed to roam and set up camp as they always have done unless it's on a protected area. The road, car parks and open green spaces are not classes as protected.

Definition of a traveller - anyone who travels for any part of the year. So legally Mary is a traveller and the council would have to apply to the courts for an eviction order to get her to move on. I doubt that Manchester has a transit camp (please correct me if they have), so definitely another a HUGE OR.

That really means that anyone who goes on holiday in a motor home or caravan is a traveller - but would you get away with setting up camp anywhere you chose? I doubt it.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivory Lace wrote: »
    Neither Callum nor Carla paid for their drinks in The Rovers.

I'm going to make T'Rovers my local as lots of drinks are either unpaid for or else 'on the house'

The same sometimes in Roy's Rolls. Also in there sometimes, when they do pay, money is given up front, and at other times they pay at the end of the meal. How does Roy/Gary/Anna or whoever keep track of that?
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    What was that finger pointing with callum and nick all about, thinks he's bloody spiderman now, he just looked an idiot, just knee him in the crotch and smack him up, odious little man

We wondered if he was playing with an imaginary gun :D So ludicrous! And as for the Manc Walk as he went across the road to the Platt's house?! No wonder Sarah can't keep a straight face when she delivers her lines!

Also, David must earn a fortune in that backstreet hairdressers - he's paying the mortgage singlehandedly now Kylie has gone (Gail and Les Dennis can't be paying much rent with their part time jobs) but he can abscond abroad, leaving his house but bills no doubt going through on direct debit, and seemingly expect to finance a life on the run..?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Sarah said her shift finished at one. What time does the Rovers open 12? So they have a shift consisting of one hour.

And hard man Callum wears a top that makes him look even more stupid than he already looks.

And when " Kim Tate" announces she is pregnant no one expresses surprise that she might be a bit old to become pregnant
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why wouldnt he be able to pay for them? :confused:

I just assumed that if he was booking flights online, there would also be hotels to be booked too. Has he got a credit card? It wont be cheap
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I just assumed that if he was booking flights online, there would also be hotels to be booked too. Has he got a credit card? It wont be cheap

I suppose most people have credit cards don't they? Of course, most don't wait until they are half way there to book the holiday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOR that Nick (at his and his girlfriend's age) would be broadcasting the fact that she's having his baby.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The whole motor home thing was just plain wrong. I live on the south coast of Dorset and every summer our local council plays cat and mouse with travellers.

We currently have eleven motor homes and three caravans occupying a local beauty spot car park. They arrived on Friday, knowing that Monday was a bank holiday, and the council can't go to court until today to get an eviction order, then they will serve notice on them and they will have 24 hours to move on - to another open space in the town and the process will start again. Legally the council has to send a welfare officer and a medical person to make sure that everyone has access to everything they need. In the meantime to avoid some of the mess they leave behind, the council provides them with portable toilets and a rubbish skip. This will go on throughout the summer from Mayday Bank holiday until the beginning of September when they all gather at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. Even if they break into a space, no-one can be arrested and prosecuted because the individual who has done the breaking in has to be identified and anyone ho didn't do it would be unlawfully imprisoned.

If there was a transit camp, they could be moved on straight away, but we are a unitary authority with nowhere this could be established. We can't use the ones already set up in Dorset because our council is separate from them.

An English judge in an English court decreed that travellers came under the same ethnic group as gypsies, and under EU law gypsies are allowed to roam and set up camp as they always have done unless it's on a protected area. The road, car parks and open green spaces are not classes as protected.

Definition of a traveller - anyone who travels for any part of the year. So legally Mary is a traveller and the council would have to apply to the courts for an eviction order to get her to move on. I doubt that Manchester has a transit camp (please correct me if they have), so definitely another a HUGE OR.

That really means that anyone who goes on holiday in a motor home or caravan is a traveller - but would you get away with setting up camp anywhere you chose? I doubt it.
    Transit camp? As in Traveller site ?
    There's a massive one in Salford !
    It used to be run by Paddy Doherty.
  • Options
    mushypeasmushypeas Posts: 158
    Forum Member

By the way, what the hell sort of jumper/cardigan was hard man Callum wearing? Did his mum buy it for him?

My husband walked in during the scene of him at the bar in the rovers and asked when did they start wearing superhero costumes in corrie!!! He watched about 5 mins and now cannot understand how his intelligent wife watches such utter drivel. Quite frankly I can't believe it myself either :blush:
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing by some of the answers on this thread, and indeed on other threads, that many posters have no knowledge of part time "gangsters" like Callum. There are loads around the fringes of Manchester as , I'm sure, there are around all major cities. They look like (and act like) Callum. he's doing a very good portrayal of them. His "Manc walk" is superb. So many lads like that round here :)

Shameless is written round reality, too.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mushypeas wrote: »
    and now cannot understand how his intelligent wife watches such utter drivel. Quite frankly I can't believe it myself either :blush:

You had better ask her :D:D:D
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 49,001
    Forum Member
    Please no! That would be the final straw.

I know :(

What tw@s these writers are ;-)
  • Options
    SoapyMcSoapSoapyMcSoap Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just thinking, I wonder is Audrey better, otherwise with David gone, Maria would be the only hairdresser left, but I remember now that Bethany said she was going shopping with her. Phew.

I know he wouldn't or couldn't do it, but I keep thinking what if David called Callum's bluff and said okay, here's Max.
    How would Callum manage his drug dealing with a child in tow... :)
  • Options
    roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Max's dad David could easily say to Callum "you want him, here he is, have fun" and put him in Callum's car with his bag. Max would hardly protest thinking (at the time) dad Callum is wonderful and I bet would be knocking on David's door within a few days to come home with Callum pushing him in !!!!!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose most people have credit cards don't they? Of course, most don't wait until they are half way there to book the holiday.

Exactly.

Wouldn't he just book a flight and zoom off? Why get a taxi and go to Liverpool, check into a hotel and make the booking from there? Why give Callum and his family the chance to find him? ;-):D
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Michelle is such a good wedding planner surely she knows where to cut corners

Alternatively how about a ITV/BBC3 crossover show where Steve and Michelle are on Don't Tell the Bride?

What sort of wedding are they having anyway? Steve's been married loads of times and they are hardly love's young dream. What's wrong with nice clothes, registry office and back to the Rovers? Surely they can afford that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't be daft - that would be sensible ;-)
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Exactly.

Wouldn't he just book a flight and zoom off? Why get a taxi and go to Liverpool, check into a hotel and make the booking from there? Why give Callum and his family the chance to find him? ;-):D

I don't know why he is in Liverpool at all when Manchester has a much better airport, and if he has to go to Liverpool, why not stay with his father?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hope that next time Callum is going to be angry in an episode that ITV warn viewers that there might be some vicious finger pointing. I'm still a little shaken*.

*with laughter.
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why he is in Liverpool at all when Manchester has a much better airport, and if he has to go to Liverpool, why not stay with his father?

Perhaps he's too busy making cheese?! :D
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I just hope that next time Callum is going to be angry in an episode that ITV warn viewers that there might be some vicious finger pointing. I'm still a little shaken*.

*with laughter.

He's spider druggie, he will zapp you with his Spidey hemp
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

*with laughter.

I'm very surprised, and concerned, that there was no "If any viewers have been affected by tonight's Corrie, then a Helpline has been set up......." voiceover after last night's dramatic finger pointing

I, for one, would have called them. :D
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised, and concerned, that there was no "If any viewers have been affected by tonight's Corrie, then a Helpline has been set up......." voiceover after last night's dramatic finger pointing

I, for one, would have called them. :D

Me too, and told them that I had injured my sides laughing!
This discussion has been closed.