Options

woman offered free lunch racks up £700 bill

Comments

• Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree. If you treat someone to a £700 meal and repair the car you damaged, I'd say there's a great chance they'll come back to you in future.

The woman was greedy but the garage was stupid. They need to pay all of it.

Some things to think about here though. If the customer wanted a good relationship with the dealer after she collected her car she would not have taken the pi$$ by spending £700 on a meal. This action alone is enough to suggest that she has decided to get everything can from the garage & by doing so forfeiting any relationship she may once have had with them.
    If the garage stumped up the £700 and the customer carried on using them, do you really think the garage would be happy and delighted to deal with her in the future? Are they more likely to put up cost for every job they carry out on her cars in the future to make up the money?
    Will they do her the same sort of discounts on new cars she buys from them in the future?
    The answer is probably no, and the customer would be well aware of this too.
    Would the garage even want to deal with her in the future (beyond recouping the £700)?
    Guarantee there will be a warning on her customer records about her previous behaviour.
    If they are the only Audi dealership in the area and the customer wants Audi service history she has put herself in an awkward situation.
    The dealership has no reason to serve the customer at all if they choose not to & personally I would not blame them if they told her to go elsewhere.
    Most people hearing about this near the dealership would think they did more than enough to look after the customer. This, in my view is only good publicity for the dealership which should more than cover any future potential profits from this one customer.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    Perhaps the restaurant should pay the other half of the bill for the free publicity.

Anyone who eats at those places must have more money than sense.

The do an entrée (a starter to the rest of us), of Sologne caviar served with blinis (what the fk are blinis?), and condiments for £270 a head.

Pretentious nonsense.
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few thoughts on this.

Firstly I think the two women should look at the amount they drink, oh my god, it's so much!!!

I personally would feel a bit cheeky having say a harvester meal and then adding in a desert (plus no drink as I don't), but people are very, very different and I don't like to take advantage of the situation.

She seems a bit entitled to eat so much at such a high price and then add all of that drink in too, but Audi were very stupid not to stipulate a price, what would they have thought reasonable? A company lunch would most likely be a similar amount too and of course they did damage her car too.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

The do an entrée (a starter to the rest of us), of Sologne caviar served with blinis (what the fk are blinis?), and condiments for £270 a head.

Pretentious nonsense.

I could imagine people handing over a load of money (when it comes to food) and getting something not very filling. I bet places like that must make a ton of profit where the food's concerned.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I have a few thoughts on this.

Firstly I think the two women should look at the amount they drink, oh my god, it's so much!!!

I personally would feel a bit cheeky having say a harvester meal and then adding in a desert (plus no drink as I don't), but people are very, very different and I don't like to take advantage of the situation.

She seems a bit entitled to eat so much at such a high price and then add all of that drink in too, but Audi were very stupid not to stipulate a price, what would they have thought reasonable? A company lunch would most likely be a similar amount too and of course they did damage her car too.

I suspect that it's more likely that she just saw an opportunity to be "clever" and took it.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »
    If they are the only Audi dealership in the area and the customer wants Audi service history she has put herself in an awkward situation.

Or sell the car and buy a different make. And anyway, if you're looking for a second hand Audi, you might be able to buy it from a private individual or even another garage. I would have thought it could only be a potential problem if you're looking for a new Audi.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they took the piss and Audi's offer of paying half is beyond reasonable.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if she can afford a 20k car, she can pay half.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her spend was reasonable in this instance.
    Do you normally spend £700 for two when dining out? Would you spend that much if on expenses?
    I remain of the opinion that it was stunningly idiotic of Audi not to specify a limit when making their offer.
    It seems the offer was made in an informal email, and the customer should have taken it up in the same spirit. (And I don't think it was Audi, but some guy working in a garage that happened to be selling Audi cars, trying to make a nice gesture and getting two fingers back in return.)
    Don't get me wrong. I think she was taking the piss somewhat
    She was taking piss completely.
    , but I think she had good cause to.
    Why? What had the garage done to her? There was an accident caused by a delivery driver, the garage fixed it at their cost and gave her a courtesy car; why did they need to be punished further, and maybe even cost someone their job?

Horrible woman, who's gone beyond the bounds of normal decent behaviour. Most of use have some restraint: we serve ourselves at a buffet, we don't scoop up all the food and pile it high on our plates just because we can.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echoing Si's point, Given what Audi and main dealerships charge for labour, they perhaps should expect somebody who's spent, hours, days and mouths sorting out the issue, been inconvenienced over a significant period of time to be what they consider unreasonable.
    The Dealership should have just sucked it up and learnt from the experience.

Such as - not damaging customer cars.
    Such as - making good damage promptly and effectively.

Perhaps the person took the piss, perhaps they felt that the Dealership took the piss also.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Do you normally spend £700 for two when dining out?

I think the most I ever spent on a meal for two was about £400. But I could stretch to £700.
    It seems the offer was made in an informal email, and the customer should have taken it up in the same spirit. (And I don't think it was Audi, but some guy working in a garage that happened to be selling Audi cars, trying to make a nice gesture and getting two fingers back in return.)

Well they should take it as a learning experience and not do it again.
    She was taking piss completely.

I view it as "somewhat".
    Why? What had the garage done to her? There was an accident caused by a delivery driver, the garage fixed it at their cost and gave her a courtesy car; why did they need to be punished further, and maybe even cost someone their job?

Perhaps they didn't need to be "punished further" but they made the offer. I presume she didn't hold them at gunpoint. They either shouldn't have offered, should have specified a limit or given vouchers.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you normally spend £700 for two when dining out? Would you spend that much if on expenses?

Highly unlikely and also avoiding telling us what he would consider to be unreasonable.
    There must be a figure.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem much to me. As I said, I'd stick to beer and not touch cocktails, expensive plonk and 'sloe gin' whatever that is.

Pretentious nonsense.

I am mildly surprised that in what I always took to be a cosmopolitan, and erudite bunch of posters, someone would publicly admit that they do not know what sloe gin is, or what blinis are.
    An entrée is the first course in Britain and/or France, but in restaurant menus in the U.S. and parts of Canada it is the main meal.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Highly unlikely and also avoiding telling us what he would consider to be unreasonable.
    There must be a figure.

What was the car?
    How long was the car out of commission in total?
    What was the event?
    How was the initial and then continued customer communications handled?
    What was the courtesy Car?
    How long did it take for the car to be repaired initially?
    How long did it take for the car to be repaired the required standard?
    How many hours did the customer spend trying to put things right?

Asking somebody to put a value on what they consider reasonable in this situation is a little hard without the above.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    As a relatively nice being, I wouldn't have been deliberately nasty to the garage by doing this, I'm sure they were sorry and were trying to help fix her car and provided a goodwill gesture. Have more faith in human beings and you might get more back and put some love and positivity back and it might reflected back to you, do this and you're adding more cynnicism and negative vibes to the world!
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the car?
    What was the event?

Asking somebody to put a value on what they consider reasonable in this situation is a little hard without the above.

Hopefully it wasn't ready for her to take home after the lunch, what with all of that alcohol she had drunk the car would have been even more damaged!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The garage should pay for the food and one bottle of wine. The woman should pay for the rest of the booze.

That way they have paid for the meal as they promised. The drinking the woman did afterwards is down to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be a figure.

The answer is that I don't know without further information.

Information such as this:
    What was the car?
    What was the event?

But on face value of the info we DO have, all I can say is that I don't consider £700 unreasonable. Sorry I can't add more than that to your cross examination SaturnV.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is that I don't know without further information.

Information such as this:

But on face value of the info we DO have, all I can say is that I don't consider £700 unreasonable. Sorry I can't add more than that to your cross examination SaturnV.

Sorry if you feel under pressure. I thought that as you were clear that you don't think £700 for lunch is unreasonable you might have a idea what you think would be unreasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if you feel under pressure. I thought that as you were clear that you don't think £700 for lunch is unreasonable you might have a idea what you think would be unreasonable.

You aren't so intimidating that I feel under pressure by you. Sorry.

You're simply asking a question that I can't give an accurate answer to as I don't have all the information at my disposal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I am mildly surprised that in what I always took to be a cosmopolitan, and erudite bunch of posters, someone would publicly admit that they do not know what sloe gin is, or what blinis are.
    An entrée is the first course in Britain and/or France, but in restaurant menus in the U.S. and parts of Canada it is the main meal.

Well slap my face with a Pacific Ocean black cod fillet (hand glazed with a Japanese tamari and honey reduction).
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Hopefully it wasn't ready for her to take home after the lunch, what with all of that alcohol she had drunk the car would have been even more damaged!
    Apparently the garage was in Watford.

The posh restaurant was in the West End (where else?). So that wouldn't have been the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well slap my face with a Pacific Ocean black cod fillet (hand glazed with a Japanese tamari and honey reduction).

Nice try Elyan, but a bit of a fail really, everyone (should), know that cod is a fish, just as I presumed most people would know what sloe gin, and a blini is.
    Actually, Pacific Ocean black cod, while definitely being a fish, is not a member of the cod family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Nice try Elyan, but a bit of a fail really, everyone (should), know that cod is a fish, just as I presumed most people would know what sloe gin, and a blini is.
    Actually, Pacific Ocean black cod, while definitely being a fish, is not a member of the cod family.

Blinis are not something I've encountered before Debrajoan. I know what they are now, but you've made me feel inadequate, sad and uneducated.

I'm off to brush up on my knowledge of small pancake varieties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blinis are not something I've encountered before Debrajoan. I know what they are now, but you've made me feel inadequate, sad and uneducated.

I'm off to brush up on my knowledge of small pancake varieties.

Now I feel bad, I'm sure that you are none of those things, please accept my apologies if I really did make you feel like that.
    If it's any consolation, a friend told me of the time he saw paniki on an Indonesian restaurant menu, and asked if I knew of it.
    I had to tell the truth and say no.
    He said, " You peasant, it's fruit bat, boiled in coconut milk."
    So, I don't know everything, still, after that I'm glad I don't!