Options

Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon (Album Thread)

Comments

• Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    UV was different and I liked that. It lacked a commericial vibe which I also liked. People wanted a BTD 2.0 and thankfully she never did it. She's no label puppet. She Wasn't even happy with her label for doing the dance remix of Summetime sadness. She was quoted in saying "it ruins the message and emotion of the song", or something like that. She was right. But people are fools. They will take anything with a dance beat to it, like a duck to water.

Don't think that makes anyone a fool. If people like anything "with a dance beat to it", that's just as valid as someone liking something less commercial - like Ultraviolence. I don't think it's fair to brand people fools for simply liking something that perhaps you don't.

Edit - Although, I do agree with the other points made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Contrary to some opinion, UV didn't have many - if any - obvious singles. One of the common complaints against the album was its perpetual mid-tempo feel. I like the record but it's not like anything jumps out as a killer radio smash.

Brooklyn Baby, West Coast, Ultraviolence, Florida Kilos, Cruel World and Old Money all screamed singles to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UV was different and I liked that. It lacked a commericial vibe which I also liked. People wanted a BTD 2.0 and thankfully she never did it. She's no label puppet. She Wasn't even happy with her label for doing the dance remix of Summetime sadness. She was quoted in saying "it ruins the message and emotion of the song", or something like that. She was right. But people are fools. They will take anything with a dance beat to it, like a duck to water.

Great post, little-monster. I totally agree.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brooklyn Baby, West Coast, Ultraviolence, Florida Kilos, Cruel World and Old Money all screamed singles to me.

No way for Cruel World - it's nearly 7 minutes. I could have seen Old Money as a nice ballad and then Florida Kilos (which should have been on the main album rather than a bonus track) would have been a good, breezy summer song. But other than that, I don't think there were many more singles from the album.

I like the record a lot and was really excited for it at the time but I definitely agree with some of the criticisms of it too - lots of songs that were of the same/similar tempo (Florida Kilos being on the main track list would have helped break up that monotony) and all the songs having the same/similar themes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think that makes anyone a fool. If people like anything "with a dance beat to it", that's just as valid as someone liking something less commercial - like Ultraviolence. I don't think it's fair to brand people fools for simply liking something that perhaps you don't.

I don't know about "fool" but I do think it's bloody sad if people can't enjoy a wider range of music than that. They are missing out on so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    No way for Cruel World - it's nearly 7 minutes. I could have seen Old Money as a nice ballad and then Florida Kilos (which should have been on the main album rather than a bonus track) would have been a good, breezy summer song. But other than that, I don't think there were many more singles from the album.

I like the record a lot and was really excited for it at the time but I definitely agree with some of the criticisms of it too - lots of songs that were of the same/similar tempo (Florida Kilos being on the main track list would have helped break up that monotony) and all the songs having the same/similar themes.

I really think Cruel World with a radio edit would've worked wonders. It's sensational. Old Money is just beautiful and one of the most beautiful ballads Ive ever heard. I agree FK should've been on the main album and agree it would've been a good summer song.

I think Black Beauty would've worked as a single, too.

Yeah, it all does seem kinda at the same speed, but thats kinda what I love about it. It feels like a body of work, rather than a collection of songs.
    Sweetums wrote: »
    I don't know about "fool" but I do think it's bloody sad if people can't enjoy a wider range of music than that. They are missing out on so much.

I agree.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Edit - Although, I do agree with the other points made.

It is foolish that people take to an artist who has had one of their hits remixed and made more commericial. But likely never bothered about her before. It's not the case of people liking something I don't. It's the case that people need something altered to suddenly like it. Why can't they accept it for how it was before? I think people can be foolish for this. It might not be fair of me to brand people fools, but it isn't fair artists have to alter their music so it can gain more momentum, exposure and higher sales because people have to have it in a more commericial way. Things need to be fair both ways.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cruel World wouldn't have done anything on the radio. Way too slow and no real hook. I like the song and it's an intriguing album opener, but c'mon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

West Coast was a single though. In fact it was the only single from Ultraviolence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    West Coast was a single though. In fact it was the only single from Ultraviolence.

No, there was five singles from UV.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    No, there was five singles from UV.

Yeah but I don't remember any of them having a video. What were the other 4 songs and were they actual singles or just promo singles?
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shades of Cool and Ultraviolence had videos
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is Beautiful’ *for the film - The AGE OF ADALINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJYPYYOndBM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but I don't remember any of them having a video. What were the other 4 songs and were they actual singles or just promo singles?

They were actual singles, but Lana never did any promotion which is why they flew under the radar and did not do well.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware only West Coast and Ultraviolence were official singles, at least in the UK anyway. I have heard it argued that Brooklyn Baby and Shades of Cool were "pre-release" singles but as they didn't get plugged on radio I'm not sure I'd go along with that myself.

All in all it just looks like Interscope shafted UV big style, wouldn't provide funding for promotion and that was the end of that. Hopefully things will be better with Honeymoon. I do wonder if Universal (who own Interscope) have stepped in and are looking after her on this record. See the corporate photo shoot with one of their exec and Kanye West I linked on the last page as evidence. With the Universal multimedia empire I expect they appreciate Lana for her film work.

Which brings us back nicely onto:
    Life is Beautiful’ *for the film - The AGE OF ADALINE

Is it just me are does Lana save all her most tender loving songs for the movies? I’m not complaining if she does, more top class stuff. And I just love how this comes out of seemingly nowhere. I also reckon that video she is filming is not for this song but for whatever the first single of Honeymoon will be.

Looks like it will be an exciting time for new songs from Lana. She is most certainly back :)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by some of the comments on here dance remixes of Lana's songs certainly divide opinion. I'd have to confess I'm not that fond of them usually. But this one of Florida Kilo's that doing the rounnds at the mo is better than the average E(diot)DM mix. Nice summer time vibe:

http://www.idolator.com/7590864/lana-del-reys-florida-kilos-tropical-tep-no-remix
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana hasn't fought hard enough for UV - she just seemed disinterested in it shortly after it came out.

Going from Dan Auerbach to Mark Ronson is just ugh.....it's like going from a Michelin star restaurant to McD's. Seems like at the minute she's turning her back on being an interesting artist to chasing hits - I'm happy to be proven wrong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Ronson is a very hit and miss producer. His best work was with Amy Winehouse, and that may have been a reason why she employed him. She has stated Winehouse as an influence in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeell aside from the fact that I doubt Interscope/Universal would let her work with somebody like Dan Auerbach once more, and as much as I adored UV, I would have to say it would be career suicide if she’d gone down that path again. Maybe radio might be vaguely inclined to play her songs with Ronson attached to the project.

Ultimately, Lana strikes me when it comes to her music that she’s one of the most strong willed people out there. If she doesn’t like what Ronson’s doing, I have no doubt she’d have told him to f**k off and got somebody else. As there have been no reports of that happened I’ll take it that it’s worked out so far.

She’s already indicated the album will have a noir-ish sound to it, so I don’t think it will be any sort of compromise and dumbing down of her vision.

I believe Lana’s US tour kicks off Thu 7th of May. I’m not expecting her to play the Honeymoon songs from the first concert date (be great if she does), but it will be good to see her back on stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night was a very important event with some unexpected results. No, not the UK Election ;-), Lana's "Endless" tour!

It would be fair to say Lana has recently started to take a bit of critism from fans for not not adding any new songs to her live sets.

Well it seems she's taken that onboard and not just changed it around to accomodate Ultraviolence songs, she's now playing her "unreleased" fan favourites like Serial Killer, and You Can Be The Boss live too! Even her cover Chelsea Hotel now makes the set!

Plus Off To The Races finally makes its it back onto Lana's setlist. Which will no doubt please a lot of fans out there.

And as far as Honeymoon goes the rumour is Lana's band are ready to play the new songs live and are just waiting for the green light.

All in all the show seemed to have the same buzz of excitement around it that her excellent Paradise Tour did a couple of years ago. Very positive reaction to the show, I just want to see the You Tube vids the fans will have no doubt taken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lana is likely not performing any new tracks because they are either unfinished or she is not ready to showcase them yet.

I think that is fab she is doing some unreleased favs.

I wish i went to this tour. But i am not going back to the states until July.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree about it been a bit too early to play the new songs just yet. I believe the tour is practically sold out with her putting on extra dates, so getting a ticket could prove tricky even if you are in the States. Let's hope she brings the show over to the UK cause it looks fabulous :).

Brooklyn Baby finally gets a live showing. Doesn't it just sound so smooth and uplifting, wonderful vocals from Lana (would we expect any less these days):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4Hq-LWvrI

Check out Serial Killer...and the end of the world backdrop she's playing against for this tour. Never has the end looked so radiantly beautiful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YtCfHEf5bU

And this cover of Peggy Lee's Why Don't You Do Right is just sublime:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntEiPHsAFE

All I'll say is she's more smouldering than a certain scene in a certain film starring Jessica Rabbit ;-)!

Here it is again, but with Off To The Races at around 2mins 30:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQEr808NXo

Judging by the web reaction the song selection has got fans wondering if the unreleased tracks and covers choice are a reflection of what the new album will sound like? I would be more than happy if Serial Killer & the rest actually end up been on the new album along with the new material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just add to that...

Courtney love seems to have been on good form for the show too. Coming out with lines like her and Lana are: "The queen of rage and the queen of anguish" and I believe there was a line in reference to the age gap between her and Lana's fans that “You were still a foetus when I wrote this song.” She's not lost her way with words!

Can't resist linking Lana singing Us Against The World as it seems as good a mission statement as any for this tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcK7fY7ZSxM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana's open air Dallas concert cancelled due to a freak thunder/tornado storm:
    http://www.stereogum.com/1800514/lana-del-rey-apologizes-for-last-minute-dallas-cancellation/video/

Darn. Well main thing is as long as everybody is alright. That link also contains some superb HD footage of the first gig in Houston that has finally been uploaded too.

She's also apparently put the lyrics to new song Honeymoon in her tour book. Strongest indication yet she will be singing the song sooner rather than later on the tour? We'll see at the next concert.