Options

Future of the BBC

Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
Forum Member
✭✭✭
John Whittingdale is the new minister of Culture, Media and Sport in a move seen as 'war' on the BBC as next years charter agreement looms.

Is this Cameron's payback for the Right Wing medias support during the election?

Comments

• Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as usual, it will be us, the paying public, that will be stung!
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    The BBC have brought anything that happens upon themselves, they have had enough warnings and time to get their house in order. If they won't manage themselves properly its time for politicians to intervene. A cheaper, leaner, less interfering and neutral BBC is long overdue
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll miss all those Question Time audiences where 100% of the audience seemed to support Labour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    The BBC have brought anything that happens upon themselves, they have had enough warnings and time to get their house in order. If they won't manage themselves properly its time for politicians to intervene. A cheaper, leaner, less interfering and neutral BBC is long overdue

How is life on your planet?
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »

'Wa wa wa, the nasty BBC doesn't worship my polticians enough'
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »

Given that Whittingdale isn't a fan of the license fee - how?
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the BBC have favoured the Tories this election in their presentation and analysis.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    How is life on your planet?
    A lot more comfortable than the BBC's
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afaik the only thing in the Tories manifesto concerning the BBC is continue the freeze on the TVL.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    I'll miss all those Question Time audiences where 100% of the audience seemed to support Labour.

Yes, amazing how that myth persists.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Wa wa wa, the nasty BBC doesn't worship my polticians enough'

Not just that. The whole Jeremy Clarkson sacking shows how insanely detached from reality BBC management have become. Can you imagine any other business going so far out of their way to trash their most profitable asset out of mere snobbery?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just that. The whole Jeremy Clarkson sacking shows how insanely detached from reality BBC management have become. Can you imagine any other business going so far out of their way to trash their most profitable asset out of mere snobbery?

No, but most business would go so far out of their way to sack an employee who physically attacked another after a series of other disciplinary issues.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long as the Conservatives don't cause the axe of Doctor Who, the BBC will be one of very very few things that will be fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, but most business would go so far out of their way to sack an employee who physically attacked another after a series of other disciplinary issues.

Well of course they would. It has nothing whatever to do with snobbery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Well of course they would. It has nothing whatever to do with snobbery.

That was my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was my point.

Yes, I know. I was agreeing with you!
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Given that Whittingdale isn't a fan of the license fee - how?

Through having a service that we enjoy ruined. If the BBC goes we will all end up paying more for less eventually just as we do with most transfers from the public to the private sector.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    So long as the Conservatives don't cause the axe of Doctor Who, the BBC will be one of very very few things that will be fine.

I think that's one of the first programmes to go, mainly as all the bad aliens in it are modelled on Tory ministers.

The BBC is in need a good shaking up. It's mired with controversy, is bloated and saddled with overseeing huge waste of licence payer money. It's overstretched itself in what it was set up for and the quality of programming isn't particularly decent compared to what it once churned out. Hopefully, they can concentrate on what they do best as opposed to having their finger in pies which they shouldn't be looking at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh really? How many football or rugby players get sacked for punching each other? Did John Prescott get sacked for punching a voter? The other "disciplinary issues" were nonsensical offences against political correctness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's one of the first programmes to go, mainly as all the bad aliens in it are modelled on Tory ministers.

They don't have to end it, all that need happen is that the franchise gets sold to Netflix, HBO, ITV or whoever thinks they can make a better job of it than the BBC.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »

No change at all on the Victoris Derbyshire show other than the guests the members of the audience had one Conservative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Whittingdale is the new minister of Culture, Media and Sport in a move seen as 'war' on the BBC as next years charter agreement looms.

Is this Cameron's payback for the Right Wing medias support during the election?

I don't know who that is or what it means to the BBC, but I hope things don't change too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really? How many football or rugby players get sacked for punching each other? Did John Prescott get sacked for punching a voter? The other "disciplinary issues" were nonsensical offences against political correctness.

Sport is a messed up industry (or industries) with players as highly valuable assets and not just employees - that makes the situation very difficult as wrong as it is.

Prescott could have been voted out at the time (he was my MP, and I never once voted for him), and his at least was retaliation.

As an experment, walk up to a senior colleague and punch him. See how long you last in your job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would rather pay a bit more for it, than lose it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my biggest fears from this government.

If they do scrap the licence fee and shrink the BBC as a result then they will have proven themselves as the crassest, most idiotic, mind blowingly stupid bunch of muppets ever to have been elected.

Cost of everything and value of nothing.

Get prepared to mobilise and campaign.