Options

Future of the BBC

Comments

• Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, not this left wing BBC bias conspiracy theory again. I guess Tories are so used to the majority of the tabloids being so overwhelmingly, blatantly biased in their favour they think someone is against them if they take the middle ground.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    Oh really? How many football or rugby players get sacked for punching each other? Did John Prescott get sacked for punching a voter? The other "disciplinary issues" were nonsensical offences against political correctness.

In most companies people would get sacked for punching a colleague, regardless of any other offences. By the way, the use of racist language is not a trivial issue, though I agree that his (non)muttered N-word was insignificant.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    No change at all on the Victoris Derbyshire show other than the guests the members of the audience had one Conservative.

If that's really true, then it would be a change from the usual more balanced audience.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Tories - anything that could pose a threat must be destroyed regardless of the harm it does to the country.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where's Sajid Javid gone? He was hopeless.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC is a tax, shouldn't we decide which channels we want to pay to watch?
    It's a forced payment, without choice.
    Shouldn't we in today's multi-channel climate be able to pick and choose what we pay for?
    Not be forced by law to pay for a broadcaster!
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just that. The whole Jeremy Clarkson sacking shows how insanely detached from reality BBC management have become. Can you imagine any other business going so far out of their way to trash their most profitable asset out of mere snobbery?

'Detached from reality'?

I'm not sure what reality you inhabit, but pretty much everyone I know would expect someone in their workplace who turned up pissed and subjected a colleague to a verbal tirade, before punching them in the face, to be sacked.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The BBC is as dead as UKIP and the LibDems.

It will be picked apart, precisely because of the fact that if the preferred option -- making the non-PSB parts of the schedule advertising-funded -- were implemented, it would eat into the profits of the other broadcasters (as the advertising pot is finite). And that just would not do.

So the only options are to leave as is, or wreck it.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tories will do nothing as there isn't enough votes in it for them. They will bluster in the press to get good PR but they have more important things to do.

The supposed bias didn't stop them winning a majority and any fallout will not be worth the hassle. At best the increases to the licence fee may be frozen. In reality backroom deals will be done and the BBC will continue as usual.

The Tories are canny politicans as has been shown. They are not tin-foil hat wearing obsessives like the minority on the internet screaming for the licence fee to be dropped.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't have happened if the left voted lib Dem. You sow what you reap.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The Tories will do nothing as there isn't enough votes in it for them. They will bluster in the press to get good PR but they have more important things to do.

The supposed bias didn't stop them winning a majority and any fallout will not be worth the hassle. At best the increases to the licence fee may be frozen. In reality backroom deals will be done and the BBC will continue as usual.

The Tories are canny politicans as has been shown. They are not tin-foil hat wearing obsessives like the minority on the internet screaming for the licence fee to be dropped.

This is pretty much my view as well. I think Whittingdale is actually quite a good choice as he clearly has an interest in this area unlike his predecessor. I'm sure he will say that there are issues to do with the longer term funding of the BBC, but in the short term (the life of this parliament) nothing much is going to change.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    This is pretty much my view as well. I think Whittingdale is actually quite a good choice as he clearly has an interest in this area unlike his predecessor. I'm sure he will say that there are issues to do with the longer term funding of the BBC, but in the short term (the life of this parliament) nothing much is going to change.

He has more than an interest, having been Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee since 2005 (10 years!) and Shadow Secretary for CMS for the year previous to that, he's extremely knowledgeable about the whole area. The BBC have a genuinely informed heavyweight to contend with.

Should be fun...
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    He has more than an interest, having been Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee since 2005 (10 years!) and Shadow Secretary for CMS for the year previous to that, he's extremely knowledgeable about the whole area. The BBC have a genuinely informed heavyweight to contend with.

Should be fun...

If you remember the problems the BBC had trying to close 6Music and they are still being lambasted moving BBC3 to online only, you would understand why an intelligent politican would swerve away from this.

They will do what is best for the Conservatives not the public.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Should be fun...

Yes, and I made a point of watching the sessions his committee has had with various BBC executives over the past few years. I don't have the impression of him being particularly anti-BBC in the way that some are trying to suggest.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Shouldn't we in today's multi-channel climate be able to pick and choose what we pay for?

It is a payment with choice.
    Or were you frog marched to a Currys Electrical store, to buy a TV you did not want?
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is a Broadcaster, not a tax!
    The TV Licence is technically a tax, but the TV Licence is not the BBC!
    It is a forced payment if you wish to view live TV, that is the way Government set it up.
    Removal of the TV Licence would lead to less channel choice rather than more, especially when more channels are coaxed behind pay TV paywalls!
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    Not just that. The whole Jeremy Clarkson sacking shows how insanely detached from reality BBC management have become. Can you imagine any other business going so far out of their way to trash their most profitable asset out of mere snobbery?

Not sure what sort of company you work for, but violence in any workplace will get you a final written warning or the sack! Its nothing to do with snobbery. Where you get that Idea from is beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that Whittingdale isn't a fan of the license fee - how?
    I would rather pay a bit more for it, than lose it.
    You two have obviously misunderstood what I meant.
    I meant that any system that replaces the TV Licence should it be abolished completely would end up being stung with higher costs to view TV, as the Commercial pay TV takes advantage of the weakened FTA market.
    Oh really? How many football or rugby players get sacked for punching each other? Did John Prescott get sacked for punching a voter? The other "disciplinary issues" were nonsensical offences against political correctness.
    jjwales wrote: »
    In most companies people would get sacked for punching a colleague, regardless of any other offences. By the way, the use of racist language is not a trivial issue, though I agree that his (non)muttered N-word was insignificant.
    Clarkson had to go, because he was on a final warning. The Right Wing anti-BBC/public service people would have been foaming at the mouth otherwise.
    Although him having to go is going to harm the BBC, since Top Gear's popularity is now going to sink like a stone, since the 3 of them have left the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what sort of company you work for, but violence in any workplace will get you a final written warning or the sack! Its nothing to do with snobbery. Where you get that Idea from is beyond me.
    Wasn't really 'the workplace' was it...
    It was in a B&B, and in their downtime, they weren't working at the time. Hardly a workplace, even if it classed to be for legal reasons.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its a government Broadcast Receiving Licence which goes into a melting pot and then dished out to various broadcasters, it also has other means too, for example, the upkeep of huge relay masts that transmits signals into our aerials.
    There's no BBC logo on the BRL. The BBC have to apply to the Gov every year for money just like other broadcasters such as Channel 4, S4C, regional and community radio stations, etc.
    You do have a choice, you can chose not to have a television, watch or record live broadcasts (BBC and non-BBC) or own a set incapable of receiving live broadcasts.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    I feel the BBC have favoured the Tories this election in their presentation and analysis.
    Yes nearly all the talk over the past few days has been on the new Tory government. Must be a bias.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Whittingdale is the new minister of Culture, Media and Sport in a move seen as 'war' on the BBC as next years charter agreement looms.

Is this Cameron's payback for the Right Wing medias support during the election?

Of course it is.

The BBC is one of our finest institutions...commercially independent, affordable for all, universal...and the tories (as usual) want to destroy it. How dare they! Who voted these dreadful people into office on Thursday?

It is high time a very strong message was sent to the terrible tories...the most right-wing government this country has ever had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Afaik the only thing in the Tories manifesto concerning the BBC is continue the freeze on the TVL.

The manifestos aren't worth the paper they are written on. The tories will carry on from where they left off in '97...destroying this country and all the things that make this country great. Shame on them.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Of course it is.

The BBC is one of our finest institutions...
    ...for covering-up peadophila.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Through having a service that we enjoy ruined. If the BBC goes we will all end up paying more for less eventually just as we do with most transfers from the public to the private sector.

Absolutely...and all channels will be polluted with dreadful, dreadful ads. A sustained campaign against this government needs to start now in earnest.