Options

Rajar Q1 2015

Comments

• Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And ..... breathe!

The figures are what they are. Yes stations will do their best to put a positive spin on them but the top line results are in the public domain for all to see.

As for the release date, it's easily found at www.rajar.co.uk - as the new results will be from midnight.
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    I like to use the term for ill-informed people who constantly criticise the more successful radio groups without any knowledge or evidence to back up their assertions.

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you think that applies to you or not :)

I think it just bothers them that anoraks can see through their thin. lifeless and unimaginative excuse for radio and will not be fobbed off, lied to or intimidated by those 'spouting the party line' - whether they work for Global / Bauer or are just hangers-on and creeps who aspire to work in radio but in all probability never will. :cool:
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Can some one prove how RAJAR is accurate? Its a lot of rubbish as with changing habits and listeners it no way represents the real listening audience.

No one can really prove how close the truth it is? We never see the figures for online as that would go some way to prove if its similar.

As with any survey, taking a single set of results will only give you a rough snapshot of radio listening in any given quarter.

But when you start comparing figures over several quarters it is robust enough to identify trends and give a good indication of how a station's performing over time relative to its competitors.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you going to play the same five songs over and over? This is Heart.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    As with any survey, taking a single set of results will only give you a rough snapshot of radio listening in any given quarter.

But when you start comparing figures over several quarters it is robust enough to identify trends and give a good indication of how a station's performing over time relative to its competitors.

What a load of rubbish. It's the same people with the same trends. It's not realistic. A better figure would be taking the stats from radio player app - as after all these are real listening figures.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What a load of rubbish. It's the same people with the same trends. It's not realistic. A better figure would be taking the stats from radio player app - as after all these are real listening figures.

They're not the same people at all. You're talking a load of rubbish!

How will a count of the number of Internet connections tell you how many people are listening, for how long they're in the room rather than having left the stream running whilst leaving the room or being on the phone, or what kind of people they are?

You really are an Alf Garnett-type character. Out of interest, what are your views of Britain's place within the EU, and immigration?
  • Options
    Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member

No no no - apparently even if you have the app open you may NOT be listening.

Codswollop
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Cut6 wrote: »
    I like to use the term for ill-informed people who constantly criticise the more successful radio groups without any knowledge or evidence to back up their assertions.

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you think that applies to you or not :)

Typical arrogant comment from someone who would still believe that radio begins and ends with Global and Bauer. I am so thankful that I can remember the days when commercial rsdio entertained me. Sadly that's no longer the case and it's pitying to see how the big companies have tore the heart out of the UK radio system. Successful they may be but it's all aligned to shareholder value at the expense of actually being entertaining to the listener. It's such a shame that todays audiences are so gullible that they still listen to such low quality output.

If my comments make me an anorak in your eyes then I am more than happy to be one.
  • Options
    random_manrandom_man Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    Typical arrogant comment from someone who would still believe that radio begins and ends with Global and Bauer. I am so thankful that I can remember the days when commercial rsdio entertained me. Sadly that's no longer the case and it's pitying to see how the big companies have tore the heart out of the UK radio system. Successful they may be but it's all aligned to shareholder value at the expense of actually being entertaining to the listener. It's such a shame that todays audiences are so gullible that they still listen

Did you actually read what you wrote?

So the large radio groups are wrong (despite delivering fantastic audiences), because they don't entertain YOU any more.

And all of those listeners are also wrong for being "gullible" for not enjoying the same type as radio as YOU.

I think you're the lone wolf here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    random_man wrote: »
    Did you actually read what you wrote?

So the large radio groups are wrong (despite delivering fantastic audiences), because they don't entertain YOU any more.

And all of those listeners are also wrong for being "gullible" for not enjoying the same type as radio as YOU.

I think you're the lone wolf here.

Yes I meant EVERY word I typed. Considering the combined BBC radio audience I am hardly a lone wolf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio Spy wrote: »
    No no no - apparently even if you have the app open you may NOT be listening.
    How many people were in the room, the last time you had an FM radio on? Were they A, B, C1, C2, D or E? Did they like cereal, care about Katie Price or were they politically engaged?
    Yes I meant EVERY word I typed. Considering the combined BBC radio audience I am hardly a lone wolf.
    What - for one moment - makes you think that the people who listen to BBC radio aren't also listening to commercial radio? You really have an amoeba-like view of the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many people were in the room, the last time you had an FM radio on? Were they A, B, C1, C2, D or E? Did they like cereal, care about Katie Price or were they politically engaged?

What, for a moment, makes you think that the people who listen to BBc radio aren't also listening to commercial radio? You really have an amoeba-like view of the world.

I wasn't suggesting that BBC radio listeners don't listen to commercial radio as well
    . I was just pointing out that I could hardly be considered a lone wolf given the large audience BBC radio has.

Its amazing how some on here never post anything constructive but find great pleasure in twisting everything others post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't suggesting that BBC radio listeners don't listen to commercial radio as well.

Yes you were. Perhaps you just didn't realise it?

I think perhaps you're an unentertaining troll.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I certainlt get the impression that Amara thinks everything is tosh! Except of course if you like what he/she/it likes!:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Now who's posting tosh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I certainlt get the impression that Amara thinks everything is tosh! Except of course if you like what he/she/it likes!:cool:

A typical comment from the Bauer/Global can do no wrong regime.
  • Options
    BoolianBoolian Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see the results for Magic UK compared to Smooth and Radio 2 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these defenders of such an utter tripe method have yet to actually prove how conclusive it is to accurate figures.

At least a real method is actual connections, texts to a show etc. Ok people walk away, bit you know they were listening. This method you dont have a clue just relying on some Muppet to fill in a book ticking away.

Utter crap.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    At least a real method is actual connections, texts to a show etc. Ok people walk away, bit you know they were listening. This method you dont have a clue just relying on some Muppet to fill in a book ticking away.

Utter crap.

How many people text Radio 4? A tiny, tiny proportion of their listeners I would imagine.

I listen to Jazz FM nearly every day but don't recall ever having texted, emailed or Tweeted the station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a listeners who responds and interacts is better for an advertiser than a passive listener.

Its time one radio group shook all this up and just did it a different way.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    But a listeners who responds and interacts is better for an advertiser than a passive listener.

Its time one radio group shook all this up and just did it a different way.

I'm not sure that's true at all. Just because I'm engaged with a radio presenter doesn't increase the likelihood of buying an advertiser's product. And it's a tiny proportion of listeners of any station - even stations like 5 Live and LBC - who actively engage which would imply radio listening doesn't work at all. For most people radio is a passive medium.

Ultimately advertisers have their own ways of measuring whether an ad campaign has worked and given a good return on investment. It seems they like RAJAR as a high level overview of audience size and, given it's their money they're spending, I'd guess they must believe it's near enough.

The danger is not so much the broad numbers but the rather dodgy quarter by quarter analysis of the raw data.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Do people even fill it in the diary truthfully?
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anywhere published them yet? mediauk are not posting until tomorrow morning due to a hotel wifi issue, and radiotoday usually have them at midnight but still only show til q4/14
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Do people even fill it in the diary truthfully?

extremely unlikely, which is why I've heard programme controllers say the most important part of a radio station is marketing. you need your station to be 'front of mind' when they're making up the rajar diaries for the month.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,361
    Forum Member
    Graphs are now up on RadioToday.co.uk.
    www.radiotoday.co.uk/rajar
    May need to give it a hard refresh (hold down on SHIFT as you press F5).