Options

Comments on production/presenters/intervals/openings etc

starrystarry Posts: 12,434
Forum Member
✭✭
With the first semi I was suprised Conchita was singing last year's winner, I thought that was reserved for the final.

Of the presenters the one in the white dress annoyed me as her accent seemed all over the place.

The pets go around Vienna/Austria thing didn't really work, seemed weak humour to me.

I was a bit annoyed when that guy in charge of getting the results ready talked about doing 'the math'. I guess American is the main language of the show and not English.

Comments

• Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The previous winner's song has been performed in SF1 for the last few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still doesn't make sense to me, so Conchita sings a new song in the final I guess.
  • Options
    contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    It still doesn't make sense to me, so Conchita sings a new song in the final I guess.

Makes perfect business sense...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the singer yes.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hate the postcards this year, though. Such a disappointment after last year.

I actually wouldn't mind if they just used the same idea as last year every year (obviously changing the way the flags are created!).
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,383
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I do hate the postcards this year, though. Such a disappointment after last year.

I actually wouldn't mind if they just used the same idea as last year every year (obviously changing the way the flags are created!).

I agree, the postcards are awful this year, especially because the majority of "Austrian activities" have nothing particularly identifiably Austrian about them.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The postcards are too hard to understand. Haha. It all went so quick that it was hard to tell what was happening.
  • Options
    DocumentaryFanDocumentaryFan Posts: 3,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit annoyed when that guy in charge of getting the results ready talked about doing 'the math'. I guess American is the main language of the show and not English.

Um, British English and American English are two equal standards of the English language, and neither is official in continental Europe. Some Europeans prefer to use the former, while others prefer the latter. British English is more common in schools, whereas American English is more prevalent in the media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I agree, the postcards are awful this year, especially because the majority of "Austrian activities" have nothing particularly identifiably Austrian about them.

But Austria is a diverse, increasingly multicultural country. The Sound of Music is identifiably Austrian, I suppose, but the country has changed a lot since then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um, British English and American English are two equal standards of the English language, and neither is official in continental Europe. Some Europeans prefer to use the former, while others prefer the latter.

I know some are taught American, so I'm not allowed to be annoyed? At least (British) English, as you call it, is European.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think saying th followed by an s is hard for non English speakers?

Hence math not maths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know some are taught American, so I'm not allowed to be annoyed? At least (British) English, as you call it, is European.

I think your annoyance is curious, especially since English became widespread in Europe largely because of the U.S. and its media / cultural influence throughout the continent.

Why does it matter which form of English the hosts speak? If they prefer Australian English -- or Jamaican English for that matter --, so be it. The diversity of the English language is a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might depend on the native language of the speaker really, some sounds are harder for some obviously.

As for the postcards, I just switched off when they were on, I just want to get to the music really. They're a tradition but also a bit of cliche really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think next years postcards need to leave the singers out. Getting dull. Maybe something like Russia 09
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The diversity of the English language is a good thing.

We'll all be speaking American soon lol. Anyway we'll agree to disagree, let's move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once they just had something neutral didn't they like an outside shot of the arena? In a way I prefer more a restful thing like that to act as a break to get the stage ready and then action again with the next song.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite like the postcards this year...what's the name of that classical piece together with the postcards?

Apart from that everything was a mess last night - bad humour, bad skits (the pet one was dreadful) and the presenters were one too many. Also the speedy vote-reading...
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,383
    Forum Member
    But Austria is a diverse, increasingly multicultural country. The Sound of Music is identifiably Austrian, I suppose, but the country has changed a lot since then.

I certainly wasn't suggesting something to that stereotypical level! :o:D
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with postcards like these is that they run out of interesting ideas quickly.

I wasn't too keen on the hashtags, maybe they would have been better underneath the number or on the opposite side of the screen.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a positive note, the sound engineering was the best I've ever heard at Eurovision. Except for the fake cheering obviously.

The hosts were useless though, and the script very disappointing considering how amusing the script writer has been on Twitter.

I always think it makes more sense to have last year's winner sing at the start of the final.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    The trouble with postcards like these is that they run out of interesting ideas quickly.

I wasn't too keen on the hashtags, maybe they would have been better underneath the number or on the opposite side of the screen.

Ah yes the hashtag. Brilliant idea to have it and the flag on Twitter.
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Like the hashtag/hashflags, presenters would've been better without the older lady. Hate the fake crowd noise.

Postcards I don't mind, a better idea I think would've been inviting the singers to look around a part of Austria (increase tourism etc). For example in the UK could have Polina go to the Eden Project, Maria go to Giants Causeway, Bojana on the London eye etc.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Postcards I don't mind, a better idea I think would've been inviting the singers to look around a part of Austria (increase tourism etc). For example in the UK could have Polina go to the Eden Project, Maria go to Giants Causeway, Bojana on the London eye etc.

In fairness, some of the postcards are exactly that. They say where they are in Austria but I don't think anyone's actually paying attention at that point. Polina went to Wattens in Tyrol which is home of Swarovski.

I know a lot of people hate on Malmö but it was a very slick production with a brilliant host. I don't really understand where the hate comes from other than "oh they should have hosted it in Stockholm and given us a massive show" which is very opposed to the direction the EBU want to take the contest in. Basically, expect more of the same for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    In fairness, some of the postcards are exactly that. They say where they are in Austria but I don't think anyone's actually paying attention at that point. Polina went to Wattens in Tyrol which is home of Swarovski.

I know a lot of people hate on Malmö but it was a very slick production with a brilliant host. I don't really understand where the hate comes from other than "oh they should have hosted it in Stockholm and given us a massive show" which is very opposed to the direction the EBU want to take the contest in. Basically, expect more of the same for the foreseeable future.

Well I think if Sweden win we will get a big show as it sounds like Stockholm want it badly. Also with Russia I think it would be winter sport themed as Sochi would be the likely host.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll all be speaking American soon lol. Anyway we'll agree to disagree, let's move on.

Agreed, just please don't presume that everyone should speak the variety of English that you happen to prefer. It's a big world, after all. (See, I also have the right to be annoyed. ;-) )