Options

SamCam's stepfather says Sturgeon is acting like Robert Mugabe

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Samantha Cameron’s step-father has accused the Scottish Nationalists of launching a ‘Mugabe-style land grab’ against owners of country estates.

William Astor, the 4th Viscount Astor, said that estate owners would worry that ‘we will find ourselves regarded as foreigners again in our own country’.

Scottish First Minister and SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon wants to reform Scotland’s land laws and put one million acres of land into public ownership by 2020.

In an article for The Spectator magazine, Lord Astor warned the policy could have the same effects as the Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe’s attacks on white farmers. He wrote: ‘Are we estate owners now to be nationalised or made to feel so unwelcome that we have to sell up in a Mugabe-style land grab?

‘It would be a pity, but we are accused of owning too much.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3090022/SamCam-s-stepfather-says-Sturgeon-acting-like-Robert-Mugabe-Lord-Astor-accuses-SNP-land-grab-country-estates.html#ixzz3ajAXMthe

I wonder how this land was acquired in the first place all those years ago.

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOOD

NO BLOOD FOR LAND AND OIL!!!

also massive twonker
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So SamCams stepfather is fair game, but "Miliband father, who loved Britain so much he wanted to change every single aspect" is not?

Hypocrisy from the left, for a change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Mugabe comparisons seem a bit extreme to me.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormagon wrote: »
    So SamCams stepfather is fair game, but "Miliband father, who loved Britain so much he wanted to change every single aspect" is not?

From the Left? Its the right wing press gunning for him. DM make him look like a whiny multi-millionaire completely lacking in self-awareness. There's no evidence he'll have to sell any of his estate, worst case is he may have to sell a bit of it at market rate. But the DM writing "Shooting estates will also lose vital tax breaks" is a (deserved) stitch-up if ever i read one. And The Torygraph were the ones to point out his estate being registered in Bahamas for tax purposes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/9164113/Budget-2012-Camerons-island-bolthole-exposed-to-Osbornes-tax.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    From the Left? Its the right wing press gunning for him. DM make him look like a whiny multi-millionaire completely lacking in self-awareness. There's no evidence he'll have to sell any of his estate, worst case is he may have to sell a bit of it at market rate. But the DM writing "Shooting estates will also lose vital tax breaks" is a (deserved) stitch-up if ever i read one. And The Torygraph were the ones to point out his estate being registered in Bahamas for tax purposes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/9164113/Budget-2012-Camerons-island-bolthole-exposed-to-Osbornes-tax.html

Again, a member of the leftwing hunters takes aim and shoots in foot.

The point is SamCams father can say what the hell he likes, that is his prerogative, for the left to try and associate it to the current PM is hypocrisy of the very highest order.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "whiny multi-millionaire completely lacking in self-awareness"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, a member of the leftwing hunters takes aim and shoots in foot.

The point is SamCams father can say what the hell he likes, that is his prerogative, for the left to try and associate it to the current PM is hypocrisy of the very highest order.

I know im stating the blindingly obvious but............ the Daily Mail is right wing. They only ran the story because he's Camerons's stepfather. They stitched him up. I couldnt give a toss which way this man is politically inclined or who he's related to, but with an attitude like his, his tax avoidance bahamas arrangement and his drama queen "like robert mugabe" quote then the bloke is a prized ****. I came to this conclusion, as i was supposed to, by the way the information was given to me by the right wing press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know im stating the blindingly obvious but............ the Daily Mail is right wing. They only ran the story because he's Camerons's stepfather. They stitched him up. I couldnt give a toss which way this man is politically inclined or who he's related to, but with an attitude like his, his tax avoidance bahamas arrangement and his drama queen "like robert mugabe" quote then the bloke is a prized ****. I came to this conclusion, as i was supposed to, by the way the information was given to me by the right wing press.

What the Dailymail write is up to the dailymail, again, their perogative. Now look to who started the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's from the Spectator.

William Astor, the 4th Viscount Astor did an article in The Spectator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    It's from the Spectator.

SamCam's stepfather says Sturgeon is acting like Robert Mugabe: Lord Astor accuses SNP of land grab on country estates

Nicola Sturgeon wants put one million acres of land into public ownership
    Owner could be forced to sell if land is a ‘barrier to social development'
    William Astor warned landowners would be like 'foreigners in own country’

By Gerri Peev and Alan Roden for the Daily Mail

Link does suggest otherwise. Could you perhaps provide the spectator link, for clarity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamCam's stepfather says Sturgeon is acting like Robert Mugabe: Lord Astor accuses SNP of land grab on country estates

Nicola Sturgeon wants put one million acres of land into public ownership
    Owner could be forced to sell if land is a ‘barrier to social development'
    William Astor warned landowners would be like 'foreigners in own country’

By Gerri Peev and Alan Roden for the Daily Mail

Link does suggest otherwise. Could you perhaps provide the spectator link, for clarity.

"In an article for The Spectator magazine"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's from the Spectator.

William Astor, the 4th Viscount Astor did an article in The Spectator.

He stitched himself up originally, oh. Lol. Possibly no need for Spectator link, as Daily Mail journalism is to go to another publication press Ctrl-C then back to your own blank article and Ctrl-V!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "In an article for The Spectator magazine"

can you show me exactly where you linked to the Spectator article?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in post 10 you say it is "from" the spectator, but in post 12 it is an article "for" the Spectator.

Which is it? and where is the link?
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in post 10 you say it is "from" the spectator, but in post 12 it is an article "for" the Spectator.

Which is it? and where is the link?

Spectator
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) Miliband's father didn't accuse a political leader of being like Mugabe
    2) Miliband's father didn't want to change every aspect of the UK
    3) Even if he did, that's his right as a British citizen (and one that every politician is guilty of)
    4) It's in a right wing newspaper reporting a right wing magazine
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    The proposals include the establishment of a new Land Reform Commission as well as new lands rights and responsibilities. They would scrap exemption tax rates for hunting and deerstalking estates.

McLeod insisted the land reform plans were not ideologically driven and were instead motivated by bringing benefits to the public.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/strong-support-for-land-reform-minister-tells-sceptical-lairds.3155
  • Options
    psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just rambling nonsense with the Viscount having imaginary arguments inside his head

‘We should not all have to sound like Rob Roy,’ Lord Astor said. ‘If the SNP wants us all to speak with a certain type of Scottish accent, what does that say to the many hundreds of thousands in the immigrant community who have lived in Scotland for a long time but still speak with the accent of their birth? Are they not Scottish?’

and this sums it up

‘People in Scotland are having a mature and respectful debate on how land ownership can deliver greater public benefits, and Viscount Astor should consider whether some of his remarks meet the standards of debate that they expect."
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    The proposals include the establishment of a new Land Reform Commission as well as new lands rights and responsibilities. They would scrap exemption tax rates for hunting and deerstalking estates.

McLeod insisted the land reform plans were not ideologically driven and were instead motivated by bringing benefits to the public.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/strong-support-for-land-reform-minister-tells-sceptical-lairds.3155

That sounds like ideology driven to me.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    can you show me exactly where you linked to the Spectator article?

You'll be lucky.:D
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,598
    Forum Member
    Great! Lord Astor or whatever he is called is showing why his lot are way out of touch. Land reform has been on the agenda for years and is something that will benefit just about everyone in Scotland. Every time one of these Tory toffs open their mouths they send more people towards the independence camp.
    The days of four hundred private individuals owning fifty percent of Scotland are coming to an end and not before time
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Great! Lord Astor or whatever he is called is showing why his lot are way out of touch. Land reform has been on the agenda for years and is something that will benefit just about everyone in Scotland. Every time one of these Tory toffs open their mouths they send more people towards the independence camp.
    The days of four hundred private individuals owning fifty percent of Scotland are coming to an end and not before time

So if the govt decided to flatten your house for a new road/airport and said tough you are going to be compulsory purchased, you wouldnt complain?

This is a Stalinist move.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samantha Cameron’s step-father has accused the Scottish Nationalists of launching a ‘Mugabe-style land grab’ against owners of country estates.

William Astor, the 4th Viscount Astor, said that estate owners would worry that ‘we will find ourselves regarded as foreigners again in our own country’.

Scottish First Minister and SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon wants to reform Scotland’s land laws and put one million acres of land into public ownership by 2020.

In an article for The Spectator magazine, Lord Astor warned the policy could have the same effects as the Zimbabwean dictator Robert Mugabe’s attacks on white farmers. He wrote: ‘Are we estate owners now to be nationalised or made to feel so unwelcome that we have to sell up in a Mugabe-style land grab?

‘It would be a pity, but we are accused of owning too much.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3090022/SamCam-s-stepfather-says-Sturgeon-acting-like-Robert-Mugabe-Lord-Astor-accuses-SNP-land-grab-country-estates.html#ixzz3ajAXMthe

I wonder how this land was acquired in the first place all those years ago

Perhaps you should a history book and then you'd know.
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Glaston wrote: »
    So if the govt decided to flatten your house for a new road/airport and said tough you are going to be compulsory purchased, you wouldnt complain?

This is a Stalinist move.

They have been able to do that for years.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Perhaps you should (get) a history book and then you'd know.

What? As opposed to stirring things up? Where's the fun in that?