Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle left the factory simply because Carla gave Peter a cushy job. Her cushy job.

She worked "overtime" and wasn't happy playing second fiddle. In fact there was one scene where she moaned from afar about Peter comforting Sally over Hayley's cancer. As if her job was threatened. Horrible, vile woman.

With nowhere to turn to Michelle asked for shifts at t'Rovers and Stella obliged. Or it might have been the other way around.

So we were both wrong! I just remember Michelle having the hump which wasn't difficult because she was always having the hump back then.

BIB That's well remembered. How she's changed! ;-)
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Gay pubs don't have rainbows outside. They're often gay friendly pubs that have become hotspots for gays to drink at. Not every gay pub has to be stereotypical.
    There are lots of gay friendly pubs in Liverpool, but I can only think of one that is "obviously" gay from the outside and its a bit sleazy. The rest are just like any other pub or club and a lot are dumps, so I thought it was realistic.
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I can't remember but Carla tried to get round Michelle by offering to buy a bottle of champagne. Unfortunately, this was rejected by Michelle who swivelled her eyes and stood with her arms folded so that we all knew she still had the hump! ;-):D

Anyway, Michelle's hen-do. Why were some of those women even there? Eileen is Steve's mate. Andrea is Lloyd's girlfriend. Maria is her SIL who she nevers bothers with and why was Erica there?
    Hen do? I didnt even notice. I thought it was just people in a pub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of gay friendly pubs in Liverpool, but I can only think of one that is "obviously" gay from the outside and its a bit sleazy. The rest are just like any other pub or club and a lot are dumps, so I thought it was realistic.
    Hen do? I didnt even notice. I thought it was just people in a pub.

Really? Maybe it goes back to days of the docks and dockers pubs! Paul O'Grady mentions going to a few of those in his book. ;-)

There are loads of places in Soho around Old Compton Street/Rupert Street/Brewer Street that don't make any secret that they are gay bars/pubs and why should they?!

Yes, Michelle was having her hen-do tonight in the Rovers, hence the hair do and the tarty top and all her 'mates' were there with her! ;-)
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    So we were both wrong! I just remember Michelle having the hump which wasn't difficult because she was always having the hump back then.

BIB That's well remembered. How she's changed! ;-)
    https://youtu.be/8ljdxpQkrOA?t=876

Folding arms too!! Form is temporary, class is permanent. :cool:
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did enjoy telling the disgruntled customer on the phone "call your MP? I bet you can't even spell MP"
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Nice of Lloyd to just let Steve miss out on his own stag do and leave him to recover from his panic attack on his own, with only strangers there to help him. No one thought to go see if he was ok after suffering from a distressing incident in public, or even just talk to him to make sure he gets back ok.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea what a pub like the Rovers would be worth, but Tony's plan is that he'll pretend to be a limited company, and buy out both steve and liz. For which he'll obviously have to find the funds, as well as for the stock at valuation.

Bearing in mind everything else he's bought, such as the builder's yard and flat, the second hand shop, the thugs he uses, etc., have we had any clue where he gets all this money from?
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like this whole Steve/minibus saga would have been perfect to explore Steve's depression further but no, not in stuart blackburn's world. Let's just let him get on with it off of the screen and have some more pointless scenes about sod all.
  • Options
    Melisende_PFMelisende_PF Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've no idea what a pub like the Rovers would be worth, but Tony's plan is that he'll pretend to be a limited company, and buy out both steve and liz. For which he'll obviously have to find the funds, as well as for the stock at valuation.

Bearing in mind everything else he's bought, such as the builder's yard and flat, the second hand shop, the thugs he uses, etc., have we had any clue where he gets all this money from?

Been wondering that myself. If he's so loaded why is he dossing at the already overcrowded pub? Don't forget all the compensation he paid to Tyrone as well.
    Same with Carla. I can't imagine a small-time knicker factory (which has to compete with the cheap labor in a loads of other countries from Morocco to India/China) can possibly be making so much that Carla can go on months long vacatons to LA, buy a nice apartment, good clothes, eat and drink out most of the time and buy other businesses like the pub. And as someone else has mentioned, surely buying a 50% share of a pub would cost more than £20,000?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't understand how the pub makes any money it's usually got three members of staff on for the tiniest bar
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Why would Michelle get herself all tarted up, with her tits hanging out, to have a hen do in the pub where she lives and works? What's the bloody point??

Why can't the writers, for once, have them do what most normal young (ish) women would do and go into town to a decent pub/club and not some dingy back-street boozer? They let the stags leave the street, so why not the hens? Or would the world implode if both parties left the street at the same time?

As someone else asked, why was Nick's pregnant non-girlfriend there?
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if two blokes would be able to get on a boat in the docks, without being seen, and then pratt about "singing" and shouting.

I bet in real life the Dockyard Police, or whoever, would have them banged up in no time flat, or at least had them back in the street outside.

Next week, Lloyds enjoys life in Iceland/the North Atlantic :D (not a spoiler, just being sarky)
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder exactly is being sold for £20K.

It it just the business?

If so, then £20K is probably reasonable, even when including "stock at valuation", as what is laughingly described as goodwill can't be worth anything. So who owns the freehold/any lease? I'm sure it's a free house, so the whole she-bang would surely be one package?

Or a lease of the premises?

If it's a short lease, then it won't be worth much.

Or the freehold of the pub, and everything else as well?

£20K for a property in the arse-end of nowhere? Really?
  • Options
    babspankybabspanky Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    I worked in this area for years, and I have never seen a judge talk to anyone like this. In a criminal case, yes, but just a little research would have shown that in child care cases, there is much more leniency and allowance for emotions.

But although it's not a criminal case are people allowed to bring up stuff that hasn't been proven or brought to court? ie David pushing Gail downstairs and the crash with Nick.
    How was Callum's solicitor ever allowed to bring that up?
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,966
    Forum Member
    babspanky wrote: »
    But although it's not a criminal case are people allowed to bring up stuff that hasn't been proven or brought to court? ie David pushing Gail downstairs and the crash with Nick.

If any of this stuff is brought up, the Judge would order reports. It's extremely unlikely that a dad who has just appeared on the scene would be given access this early. For a start, there would be CRB checks. The Judge would then rely heavily on CAFCASS recommendations. But, this is a soap, and things happen overnight. 😉
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remind me, how did Tony come into the Street?
  • Options
    babspankybabspanky Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, soap time, soap rules.
    Just like when people are moving, some even abroad. You hear about it then the following week they go!
    And the jobs they get! Suddenly becoming "business women" and going from barmaid to PA and so on. Does it really happen? Not in my world.
  • Options
    ZebstrikerZebstriker Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He wanted to re-establish contact with his son.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    I wonder exactly is being sold for £20K..........................

Unless I've missed it (which is very possible) we don't know how much the pub is being sold for. Steve will repay Tony £10,000 from what he receives for his share. And presumably there's the mortgage to repay out of the proceeds.

He's jason's second father.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's jason's second father.

Ah yes, the memory cells are waking up now. He and Eileen were an 'item' (married?), and Jason was the product of this relationship. Jason doesn't seem to have any dark skin !
  • Options
    steve3927steve3927 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    mark e a wrote: »
    I did enjoy telling the disgruntled customer on the phone "call your MP? I bet you can't even spell MP"

Yes, and 'you're boring me now!' slams down phone:)

Go Tracey Go!
  • Options
    Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how Lloyd gets back from Norway, he hasn't even got his phone to call anybody.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    Nice of Lloyd to just let Steve miss out on his own stag do and leave him to recover from his panic attack on his own, with only strangers there to help him. No one thought to go see if he was ok after suffering from a distressing incident in public, or even just talk to him to make sure he gets back ok.

Did I miss something? Didn't know about any of that.

Just goes to show how much SOR we've got used to at Corrie. I accepted Lloyd's reporting that Steve had binned off his own stag night due to minibus trauma, without question :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/8ljdxpQkrOA?t=876

Folding arms too!! Form is temporary, class is permanent. :cool:

Not so in Corrie. This time last year harridan. Now she's a lovely woman. The harridan was clearly out of place. Now Michelle's just a non character.
    Mel94 wrote: »

That was weird. And what were Michelle and Liz doing to help?

Phil Mitchell?! Ludicrous innit?!
    Been wondering that myself. If he's so loaded why is he dossing at the already overcrowded pub? Don't forget all the compensation he paid to Tyrone as well.
    Same with Carla. I can't imagine a small-time knicker factory (which has to compete with the cheap labor in a loads of other countries from Morocco to India/China) can possibly be making so much that Carla can go on months long vacatons to LA, buy a nice apartment, good clothes, eat and drink out most of the time and buy other businesses like the pub. And as someone else has mentioned, surely buying a 50% share of a pub would cost more than £20,000?

Don't forget the order for 10,000 knickers. That must have brought untold riches. These factories don't really exist any more. Why can't Corrie get up to date?
    dd68 wrote: »
    I don't understand how the pub makes any money it's usually got three members of staff on for the tiniest bar

Liz, Michelle, Tony, Steve and any passing person like Sarah who needs a job and probably Eva when she gets back!
    Why would Michelle get herself all tarted up, with her tits hanging out, to have a hen do in the pub where she lives and works? What's the bloody point??

Why can't the writers, for once, have them do what most normal young (ish) women would do and go into town to a decent pub/club and not some dingy back-street boozer? They let the stags leave the street, so why not the hens? Or would the world implode if both parties left the street at the same time?

As someone else asked, why was Nick's pregnant non-girlfriend there?

All stupid. Tarted up to have a hen-do in her place of work and her home? Erica was there. Why? Andrea and Eileen are not Michelle's mate either. Carla is her only mate and Michelle just uses her for jobs and paying bills. Scraping the barrel for mates methinks. And so was Steve. Since when have Gary and Sean been his mates? And may I say when Sean skipped across the road to that pub - :o:o:o
    chestfield wrote: »
    As if two blokes would be able to get on a boat in the docks, without being seen, and then pratt about "singing" and shouting.

I bet in real life the Dockyard Police, or whoever, would have them banged up in no time flat, or at least had them back in the street outside.

Next week, Lloyds enjoys life in Iceland/the North Atlantic :D (not a spoiler, just being sarky)

As if Lloyd would fall so heavily asleep on what he had to drink and for so long that he didn't wake up and hear the crew come aboard or set sail.

Criminal case or not it was clearly correct because a 14 year old told Callum!
    Yes, soap time, soap rules.
    Just like when people are moving, some even abroad. You hear about it then the following week they go!
    And the jobs they get! Suddenly becoming "business women" and going from barmaid to PA and so on. Does it really happen? Not in my world.

Eva and especially Michelle are very skilled. Michelle is so successful she has been able to bail out Steve. Hasn't she?
    Willow33 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Lloyd gets back from Norway, he hasn't even got his phone to call anybody.

Has he gone to Norway? Seriously, why would a Norwegian boat be in dock in Liverpool?
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Did I miss something? Didn't know about any of that.

Just goes to show how much SOR we've got used to at Corrie. I accepted Lloyd's reporting that Steve had binned off his own stag night due to minibus trauma, without question :D

As I said before weird. Just weird. Perhaps the Steve actor was ill on the day they filmed so they had to change the script.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    I can't remember but Carla tried to get round Michelle by offering to buy a bottle of champagne. Unfortunately, this was rejected by Michelle who swivelled her eyes and stood with her arms folded so that we all knew she still had the hump! ;-):D

Anyway, Michelle's hen-do. Why were some of those women even there? Eileen is Steve's mate. Andrea is Lloyd's girlfriend. Maria is her SIL who she nevers bothers with and why was Erica there?

So what about the stag do?

Don't remember Steve ever sharing more than a couple of scenes with Tyrone, Jason is the son of the woman he works with, Sean is an employee, hardly a friend & I can't remember a single scene between Steve & Gary!!

Sadly TheStreet has become so insular that any character only seems to be allowed one friend & groups of friends don't exist unless they are called for in a party situation!!

Really going on Corrie's recent past the stag do would have been at best Steve & Lloyd, while the hen do would have been Michelle & Carla, with possibly Liz tagging along!
    Crazy really!!
This discussion has been closed.