Options

Non Halal Meat Restaurants

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Yes, for you, but not to a Muslim, who hold sincere beliefs which they want respected.

So what? If they want halal food then go to a muslim butcher (which most of them do anyway). The issue is why 95% of the UK who aren't muslim have to eat halal food, especially if there isn't compulsory labelling?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy my meat from a local farmshop/butcher and know its not a commercial factory set-up. some days he has beef pork lamb etc some days not.

No issue with advertising they use Halal or "turkey Ham"?? I think its a good thing, then I/we can choose not to eat there.

What I'm trying to say is, should restaurants or why don't restaurants show dishes are prepared using non Halal.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    A dead animal is a dead animal
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what? If they want halal food then go to a muslim butcher (which most of them do anyway). The issue is why 95% of the UK who aren't muslim have to eat halal food, especially if there isn't compulsory labelling?

It's a business decision though, isn't it?

The vast majority of people don't care, so butchers and food businesses sell halal meat because most people - Muslim and non-Muslim will happily buy it. If it was non-halal, they'd lose their Muslim customers.

They aren't doing it to be politically correct, they're doing it to make money.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Yeah, everywhere I know that sells HMC meat has very clear signs at the entrance to the shop and by the meat.

Although, I find that HMC meat is cheaper than "regular" supermarket meat. The HFA meat sold in the Halal section of supermarkets is much cheaper though and the HFA meat from the butchers is amazingly cheap.

Perhaps the price being cheaper is a regional difference.

Most of the large meat wholesalers will charge a higher price for HMC, if they trade in it at all. They will predominantly be selling HFA.

Local butchers may buy it from local sources so that may be why there's a lower price near you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank You, this is my point...
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for you, but not to a Muslim, who hold sincere beliefs which they want respected.

In respect of "beliefs", they are little more than superstitions.
    In the 21st century we shouldn't be pandering to any superstitions regardless of whatever religious faith they wrap them in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dead animal is a dead animal

Very constructive comment. Thanks for taking the time.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very constructive comment. Thanks for taking the time.;-)

You're welcome ^_^
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the price being cheaper is a regional difference.

Most of the large meat wholesalers will charge a higher price for HMC, if they trade in it at all. They will predominantly be selling HFA.

Local butchers may buy it from local sources so that may be why there's a lower price near you?

Yeah, probably... Might also be because there are at least 3 butchers selling HMC within walking distance of each-other so they have to keep the prices competitive. I think there will be regional differences in the prices though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank You, this is my point...

But then you also need to look at labelling all manner of other products. For example most American style hot dogs that you get in a Diner are New York Deli Style Beef Dogs and are Kosher / Halal
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why does it matter to you so much?
    Islamic people require a prayer said. If you are not of the religion then it won't matter if someone said a prayer over it or the radio in the abbotoir was playing Jessie J at the time it was killed. It will taste the same. Unless of course it was some sort of bigotry.
  • Options
    Poplife04Poplife04 Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I think it's disgusting that in the United Kingdom there can be businesses selling Halal. Surely there should be some stance against this...I hate that other religions can impose in our culture but if we did, we'd be shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In respect of "beliefs", they are little more than superstitions.
    In the 21st century we shouldn't be pandering to any superstitions regardless of whatever religious faith they wrap them in.

That may be your opinion, but it's not shared by the majority of the population - who are religious, predominantly Christian.

I'm not religious - I'm a Humanist but I have the decency to respect the beliefs of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The vast majority of people don't care, so butchers and food businesses sell halal meat because most people - Muslim and non-Muslim will happily buy it. If it was non-halal, they'd lose their Muslim customers.

Depends where you live and what butcher you use surely?

Also if the vast majority don't care then why not just sell non halal?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I appreciate that. The exporters have to cater for the muslim markets outside of the EU. I want the choice not to buy it though even if it means paying a premium. I profoundly disagree with such complete nonsense as a 'prayer' being gibbered in the background as an animal is slaughtered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Poplife04 wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting that in the United Kingdom there can be businesses selling Halal. Surely there should be some stance against this...I hate that other religions can impose in our culture but if we did, we'd be shot.

Lol

What does it matter?
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Why does it matter to you so much?
    Islamic people require a prayer said. If you are not of the religion then it won't matter if someone said a prayer over it or the radio in the abbotoir was playing Jessie J at the time it was killed. It will taste the same. Unless of course it was some sort of bigotry.

Because people have valid concerns and fears about Islam. They don't want its cultures from the dark ages affecting modern secular life - and this is a clear example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol

What does it matter?

At the risk of agreeing with you. Quite.

How's the cupboard?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Because people have valid concerns and fears about Islam. They don't want its cultures from the dark ages affecting modern secular life - and this is a clear example.

Seriously?

It's the same meat :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We live in a country where our own 'dark age' religion affects 'modern secular life' though.

And as already mentioned, religious people are the majority.

Us secularists, aren't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    At the risk of agreeing with you. Quite.

How's the cupboard?

Still not done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So Kosher can go, as can anyone sayong grace? Same idiotic praying over food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poplife04 wrote: »

Kosher is just as bad yet nobody seems too bothered by that :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not done

It needs sorted frankly.