• Options
    Vinnie VegaVinnie Vega Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    It's the kids I feel sorry for.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, but it depends on what voting system is used, was the popular vote near the two thirds majority the US Congress needs in order to amend their Constitution ?

I've always believed that two thirds vote was a true , safe constitutional system, 66 % is an undoubted majority, 50.5 % is just a nipple over the finish line, and you have a large pissed off minority.

It didn't happen and Ireland is not the US. .:confused:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    Don't know. Maybe because it's a conservative and religious country.

It used to be, but it's not like that any more. There are still some older people who are very conservative in their views, but I guess they're set in their ways. A lot of people are actually quite progressive and they don't all go to Mass every week any more. I do wish they'd take Communion and Confirmation out of the schools though.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Over 62% of Irish people voted yes to same sex marriage. That's a sizeable majority whichever way you look at it.

62% of those who participated in the vote.

The rest presumably don't care enough either way, save for a probably small number of people who couldn't make it.

Because more children in need of parents might be adopted now?
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member

The rest presumably don't care enough either way, save for a probably small number of people who couldn't make it.

Well, of course only the votes of the people who could be bothered to show up can be counted. But that applies to any election/referendum. ;)
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Over 62% of Irish people voted yes to same sex marriage. That's a sizeable majority whichever way you look at it.
    People thought the Scottish referendum was a landslide ... Ladies and gents this was a landslide!
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    People thought the Scottish referendum was a landslide ... Ladies and gents this was a landslide!

It's also great that all but one constituency voted the same way, because no one can accuse the cities of holding up a narrow majority; the result fairly represents all corners of the country.

There's not much for the naysayers to pick apart. :)
  • Options
    Vinnie VegaVinnie Vega Posts: 240
    Forum Member

They'd stand a better chance of a balanced upbringing in an orphanage, but hey , who cares as long as it's right on ?
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abecern wrote: »
    Social change may come but will always have limits. In many other cultures they will never approve gay marriage. We have ISIS throwing **** off building tops. Western culture is very different. Homosexuality is a Western concept.
    If Ireland approves gay marriage via a popular vote it transforms the world ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? They're not being forced into same sex marriage are they?:o
    Nor is anyone else, just equal rights for all.
    Not interested in any nonsense about people who marry suddenly becoming broody. Marriage is a choice nowadays and people can choose to have children outside of it, without care about or fear of chosen bigoted religious disapproval. Not interested in the fantasy of gay parents cannot be good parents either. Prove it. Heterosexual parents are such an exemplary model in that role? No. Any combination of parents can be good parents and if anything I hope more children awaiting adoption getting much needed loving parents, may be an outcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd stand a better chance of a balanced upbringing in an orphanage, but hey , who cares as long as it's right on ?

Why would that be? What's in an orphanage that a child living in a home with parents wouldn't have access to?
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Why would that be? What's in an orphanage that a child living in a home with parents wouldn't have access to?
    Catholic Priests most likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please provide links to the evidence of your claim.

Why hasn't your username got an underscore?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone thought the Scottish Referendum was a landslide, it was 54/46, unless you mean the turnout which was HUGE..

The SNP getting 56 seats out of 59 in the UK GE, now that is a landslide, plus a tsunami .
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect to all posters . Ireland is considered to be a catholic country with deep family traditions where the family unit is man and woman. Same sex marriage doesnt fit in that unit. I am shocked that ireland have voted the way that they have. Just saying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    With all due respect to all posters . Ireland is considered to be a catholic country with deep family traditions where the family unit is man and woman. Same sex marriage doesnt fit in that unit. I am shocked that ireland have voted the way that they have. Just saying

Maybe Catholicism doesn't fit Ireland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the UK understand the significance of ref results purely on numbers. No disrespect but behind Switzerland in Europe refs, Ireland are prob in second place, we get the gist here.. I've already read too many ignorant comments on the Dailymail webside, I just had to click ouf of it. In a referendum, any referendum, above 60% is a resounding success, the people over in the DM just don't get it
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because they definitely receive unconditional love in an orphanage don't they? :(
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the difference is what people consider it is and what it actually is. The idea of the family unit being a man and woman died a long time ago, somewhere around the time we stopped hiding young unwed women and proudly accepted single parents. ;-)

And the NO campaign made no sense with it's "well it's not their fault the child has one parent, but two parents of same sex is worse somehow".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe homosexuality is more prevalent in rural Ireland that we all thought, certainly in the priesthood [ sorry, that's a cheap shot. ].

It seems the urban leftie tossbags in the Dublin metro area have greviously misjudged the provincial Irish peasant as a unsophisticated bigot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the UK understand the significance of ref results purely on numbers. No disrespect but behind Switzerland in Europe refs, Ireland are prob in second place, we get the gist here.. I've already read too many ignorant comments on the Dailymail webside, I just had to click ouf of it. In a referendum, any referendum, above 60% is a resounding success, the people over in the DM just don't get it

No, the insecure, sneering, falsely superior homophobes and religious homophobic bigots can't stand anyone not sharing their inhumane toxic viewpoint. Or anyone who's a decent human being.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems the urban leftie tossbags in the Dublin metro area have greviously misjudged the provincial Irish peasant as a unsophisticated bigot

You mean because the Dublin metro tosspot thought the provincial peasant would vote NO and they voted YES?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the difference is what people consider it is and what it actually is. The idea of the family unit being a man and woman died a long time ago, somewhere around the time we stopped hiding young unwed women and proudly accepted single parents. ;-)

And the NO campaign made no sense with it's "well it's not their fault the child has one parent, but two parents of same sex is worse somehow".

Well said, I could add quite a bit more. Religious hypocrisy and bigotry is now seen for what it is, sickening and unacceptable.
    Lets see how long it takes for an about turn from the over privileged and money obsessed cosy enclave of the Vatican.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some might say that England is renowned for drunken, abusive, racist and rampant hooliganism within their football support. Countries throughput europe may fear such fans entering our countries for fear they may rip up our stadia, destroy our streets, brick the windows of our shops and run havoc in our European cities. I reckon the above description of the average English football fan is wholly inaccurate.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

The silent majority speaks up in situations like this. It's great!