Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,936
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »
    Why hoist that on all of us. >:( It'll be easier if you just moved to Sweden. :p

Because I would actually like to:-

a) remember what it feels like to win, 1997 is becoming a fast fading memory
    b) attend an ESC final in my own country!

And preferably before I draw my state pension :D
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yugimuto1 wrote: »
    FFS it's them. Don't need to be so sarcastic of it.

Oh I wasn't being sarcastic, just making an observation. :kitty:

Whilst we're on the subject, I think Stig Rasta auditioned for X Factor too and became part of a successful boyband.
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    It does beg the question why the juries aren't voting on the main show, as if for example the jury final performance is a mare (such as Blue's) then it's just confusing when some countries do much better the next night.

It's all logistical most probably. In the final they have to gather all the televoting results and collate them with the jury. Now that takes some time to do, hence the interval act. If they had to also collate the jury vote all-together and then add that to the televoting, we are looking at potentially adding double the time it takes currently which is probably just too long. Plus there is the issue of some juries votes being discounted, wouldn't be able to do that if it was all done on the same night.

Yes in an ideal world the jury and televoters would vote on the same performance, but I am sure I have read back in the day that the jury voted on the dress rehearsal even then and not the televised performance.
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    France need to persaude Monaco to come back. Might at least have a bit of a safety net to avoid endless bottom 3 appearances.
  • Options
    NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I would actually like to:-

a) remember what it feels like to win, 1997 is becoming a fast fading memory
    b) to attend an ESC final in my own country!

And preferably before I draw my state pension :D
    Yes, and we had to get an American to do it for us - the indignity! I just remember being so happy that 1. the Tories were out and 2. we'd actually won after coming second my entire life (I was born in 1982, after the Blessed Buzz Fizz!). Bliss it was to be alive!

And here's a funny thought - right at the end of the 1998 contest when they were all hanging around waiting for Dana International to finish changing her frock so that they could give her the trophy, the UK was represented by an Irishman (Terry Wogan), a Swede (Ulrika Jonsson) and a Yank (Saint Katrina) - it seems to me to be a subtle hint of our future Eurovision damnation....
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so I read that Cyprus were 10th with the juries and was brought down by the televote?

So I guess it works both ways (I know loads of you hated it, but it was so damn sweet!!)

I still think there should be more than 5 jury members for each country, that's a hell of a lot of power

Poor France, it was such an epic performance (And I voted for Austria too - thought it was a really strong song - despite them nicking Ralf Gyllenhammar's pyro poiano)
  • Options
    NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    OK, so I read that Cyprus were 10th with the juries and was brought down by the televote?
    Now that is interesting.

And yes, a bigger jury voting on the same performance as the viewers are probably would have a massive affect.
  • Options
    Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    I can't remember when I'd last been so utterly bummed and depressed about Eurovision results :(:( (2008, probably...)

Last year's results gave me this happy warm glow days afterwards, but this is the total opposite. :( Feel like I'm totally losing interest in Eurovision.

I've never resented the jury system before, but now I do. It totally needs scrapping. If the so-called "winner" isn't even in the televote top 2, there's something badly wrong!!! And the juries ruined things in every other imaginable way, too, this year.

I agree, I'm still bitter about Italy being robbed. But I suppose I'll just have to build a bridge!

I think we still need the juries to balance our the diaspora voting, but at the moment they have too much influence. I'd like to see two thirds televote, one third jury. And go back to just ranking the top ten, so they can only vote for the songs they like rather than screwing over the songs they don't.

Congrats Youngswede. You're getting a bit too close to 7 for my liking :p
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,518
    Forum Member
    I can't believe people are still trotting the 'we should pull out, it's entirely hopeless, are taste is just too different' line for SILWY's result.

Let's think back to that March night when the song was first revealed. Almost unanimous revulsion! It's no surprise voters hearing it for the first time last night agreed.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So I guess it works both ways (I know loads of you hated it, but it was so damn sweet!!)

I still think there should be more than 5 jury members for each country, that's a hell of a lot of power

Poor France, it was such an epic performance (And I voted for Austria too - thought it was a really strong song - despite them nicking Ralf Gyllenhammar's pyro poiano)

Perhaps a great start is to have the juries sitting in different rooms? I know that a photo was posted of, I believe, Georgia and all of the jury members were watching in the same room? I'm not sure if this is the norm, though. But at least separating the jurors would make it slightly fairer...

It is quite scary to think the likes of Ruth Lorenzo and Ryan Dolan had such a weighing on the results....
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    France will be the first of the Big five to withdraw I think. They never seem interested looking at their ratings. I can see them not actually coming next year. The women who commented seems senior enough to have an influence.
  • Options
    Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't a fan of Cyprus but I agree with you on Austria, how they ended up with nothing baffles me. France were hard done by too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NMdum1 wrote: »
    Now that is interesting.

And yes, a bigger jury voting on the same performance as the viewers are probably would have a massive affect.
    The main reason for that if there the feed goes down to somewhere during the final that country would not then be able to give a vote. Considering the satellite issues last night it could easily happen.
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,936
    Forum Member
    Cyprus grew on me Anne, by the end it was only Poland I actively disliked, I'd even softened on Armenia.

And yes NMdum1, I remember vividly our horrible run of 2nd places (sounds like bliss these days).

And this was when the UK REALLY knew how to sulk:

http://youtu.be/c_Is1n0AH_E

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyways, whilst I am still disappointed with the winner, I always found Heroes too generic and was just never as good as the hype made it out to be (Hope & Glory was far better than this, that didn't even win the televote either incidentally) and there are other countries I would have liked to see win before Sweden again and I have already mentioned how I feel on Italy losing out like they did, I have made my peace with it.

I have always wanted to go to Sweden so next year I will be planning on doing that, I hope they don't hold it anywhere too big as we will be getting sitting tickets and don't want the performers to be like dots, the sitting tickets for Vienna gave us a pretty good view of the stage and was pretty close to the green room.

Despite having my first live Eurovision experience, I never really got into it this year, guess not having any song to really connect with didn't help and I just never really felt it, so will be trying to throw myself into next years contest and keep up to date with all the NFs and whatnot. May even try and get into JESC, but don't hold me on that one.

Will also try to get involved in convo here too, I always have plenty to say put stayed in the background and kept myself to DSFE, but I hope to start flapping my trap a bit more here now. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you think the Greek diaspora vote has just disappeared? It used to dominate our votes along with Cyprus
    Perhaps it was not diaspora after all. Greece always had upbeat dancing songs which tend to do well here.
    I wonder how many votes gets a 12. I couldn't imagine the diaspora voting is higher than say 50000,.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the sign language version!

http://youtu.be/H-wJXREikYo
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up on the end I see Norton is channelling Terry Wogan in yakking all over the playout of the winning song. Quite a clear demonstration of the contempt the UK holds Eurovision that we can't even accord the winner the respect of the letting the song play without interruption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cyprus grew on me Anne, by the end it was only Poland I actively disliked, I'd even softened on Armenia.

And yes NMdum1, I remember vividly our horrible run of 2nd places (sounds like bliss these days).

And this was when the UK REALLY knew how to sulk:

http://youtu.be/c_Is1n0AH_E

He really did look like someone had just told him his cat died at the start and you have to love the guy phoning in to tell him he thought his song was average.

Hardly any mention of the winning song, but at least someone didn't say they thought he should have won and that we would never hear from the winner again. :D
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    France will be the first of the Big five to withdraw I think. They never seem interested looking at their ratings. I can see them not actually coming next year. The women who commented seems senior enough to have an influence.
    The ratings in France this year were higher than they have been in years.
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Oh one interesting thing, the address on the UK package is real! Its the BBC address in Wood Lane!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Perhaps it was not diaspora after all. Greece always had upbeat dancing songs which tend to do well here.
    I wonder how many votes gets a 12. I couldn't imagine the diaspora voting is higher than say 50000,.

Well there's about 30000 Lithuanians and 650000 poles in the UK according to records.

It's mad that the other 65 million people can't eliminate the diaspora really lol.

Perhaps recently the Greeks just haven't liked their own entry. Look at the Irish televote. We were 11th. Or the Aussie one. Our song was so shocking I don't think even Brits would vote for it
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we should be trying to eliminate the diaspora vote... if people have spent money voting, it should be counted. Besides, diaspora voting would have made no impact to the overall result anyway, as shown in the televote only results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I don't think we should be trying to eliminate the diaspora vote... if people have spent money voting, it should be counted. Besides, diaspora voting would have made no impact to the overall result anyway, as shown in the televote only results.

But diaspora makes voting from certain countries inevitable. Every year our spokesperson would have to read 12 points Poland/Lithuania (soon to be Romania, Turkey).
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yay! Such a polished performance I thought - whereas Monika's vocals were weak ..

Didn't we read somewhere about the judges criteria not including vocal ability?
    TerryP wrote: »
    Anyways, whilst I am still disappointed with the winner, I always found Heroes too generic and was just never as good as the hype made it out to be (Hope & Glory was far better than this, that didn't even win the televote either incidentally) and there are other countries I would have liked to see win before Sweden again and I have already mentioned how I feel on Italy losing out like they did, I have made my peace with it.

I have always wanted to go to Sweden so next year I will be planning on doing that, I hope they don't hold it anywhere too big as we will be getting sitting tickets and don't want the performers to be like dots, the sitting tickets for Vienna gave us a pretty good view of the stage and was pretty close to the green room.

Despite having my first live Eurovision experience, I never really got into it this year, guess not having any song to really connect with didn't help and I just never really felt it, so will be trying to throw myself into next years contest and keep up to date with all the NFs and whatnot. May even try and get into JESC, but don't hold me on that one.

Will also try to get involved in convo here too, I always have plenty to say put stayed in the background and kept myself to DSFE, but I hope to start flapping my trap a bit more here now. :D

Excellent news TerryP! You'll be so hyped up come next May, we'll make sure of that ;)

Just watching back again - Spain was a bit odd. My telly feed went a bit wobbly at the start, I think I saw that da33431 had the same problem - anyone else?

I liked that bit where she swept her hands over the audience and the lights followed her - nice touch. And those boots! Oh my, gotta get me some of them..

Have we heard any feedback from Latvia? They must be stoked, but I've seen nothing on my FB about it
This discussion has been closed.