Options

Cameron doesn't want us to leave EU as spin machine gets ready

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Cameron doesn't really want us to leave the EU. I suspect he's thinking its bad for business. The same big business who back the Conservative Party probably wouldn't be happy with an EU exit. Whatever he gets from the re-negotiations even if its practically nothing it will be spun as a huge victory and a reason we must stay in the EU. Therefore the Referendum may well totally bogus.

Comments

• Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think many Tories quite like the idea of extra power to do what they want with the plebs.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I hate about this referendum is the hypocrisy about this with some people when we were dealing with the Scottish referendum.

We had loads and loads arguments from those who opposed Scottish independance, particularly from south of the border, independance was bad, its all about small minded nationalism, feverent small minded Scottish nationalism is bad, SNP driving a wedge in communities etc, comments like this coming from JK Rowling, Stephen Fry, even Bob Geldof of all people. But of course these same people who are opposed to "increased nationalism" (of any sort) were ok with British nationalism, union jack flag waving etc, and people who hold those opinions will now drum up the patriotic tune for leaving the EU.

Small minded Scottish nationalism is bad, but British patriotism is good.

Personally I hate patriotism full stop, but the hypocrisy from some of those who support leaving the EU (giving the opposite reasons for Scotland staying in the UK) is certainly interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    What I hate about this referendum is the hypocrisy about this with some people when we were dealing with the Scottish referendum.

We had loads and loads arguments from those who opposed Scottish independance, particularly from south of the border, independance was bad, its all about small minded nationalism, feverent small minded Scottish nationalism is bad, SNP driving a wedge in communities etc, comments like this coming from JK Rowling, Stephen Fry, even Bob Geldof of all people. But of course these same people who are opposed to "increased nationalism" (of any sort) were ok with British nationalism, union jack flag waving etc, and people who hold those opinions will now drum up the patriotic tune for leaving the EU.

Personally I hate patriotism full stop, but the hypocrisy from some of those who support leaving the EU (giving the opposite reasons for Scotland staying in the UK) is certainly interesting to say the least.

It isn't hypocrisy at all. The EU isn't a country, it's a political entity that makes up laws for member states to adhere to, Scotland is part of a country, our country, so of course concerns about them leaving our country and changing the very essence and identity of our country was always going to attract comment.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron doesn't really want us to leave the EU. I suspect he's thinking its bad for business. The same big business who back the Conservative Party probably wouldn't be happy with an EU exit. Whatever he gets from the re-negotiations even if its practically nothing it will be spun as a huge victory and a reason we must stay in the EU. Therefore the Referendum may well totally bogus.

I'm not sure why you're dressing this up in conspiracy and speculation. Everything you've written has been openly stated by those involved.

Cameron has said he will campaign to stay in the EU.
    The CBI has said EU membership is good for business.
    The major donors are reported here quarter by quarter for every party.

The referendum isn't totally bogus, the result is 100% dependent on which way people vote. If people are too stupid to read the information available from both sides and make up their mind, we shouldn't have a referendum at all.

You post looks like you are already preparing to lose the vote and want your excuses in early.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tend to agree in some respects but I think the upshot is that some in Scotland believe that Scotland gets a raw deal from the Union, as with the EU it is those who wish to leave who believe that the UK gets a raw deal from the EU. In Scotland it is seen by a large minority that democracy in Scotland is subservient to the overall democracy of the Union and in that sense the Scottish minority (in the Union) frequently have a Government foisted on them although on occasion their minority (in the Union) can foist a Government on the English.

The argument should centre on the merits of each Union. I think the UK is a fairly good Union working broadly for the interests for its citizens obviously with much improvement both required and possible through the democratic process. I could not present the EU as the same. If beneficial trade is the main reason to stay in then perhaps that is a cost too high to remain in what is a Bureaucratic nightmare with very limited democratic accountability.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in other news...the Dalai Lama is a Buddhist.

(the Pope's having a day off today)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These debates always expose hypocrisy on all sides. When "Big Business" said they would leave Scotland if it voted for independence then they were accused of scaremongering. When the same businesses say they would leave the UK if we exit from the EU then we are told that they should be listened to.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Some people want to stay in the EU?????? Attack attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if Cameron doesn't get satasfactory reform will he be man enough to change his mind?
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    So if Cameron doesn't get satasfactory reform will he be man enough to change his mind?

He's made deliberately vague promises on what the reforms will be so that's almost impossible to pin him down.
    Cameron has not yet set out a comprehensive list of reforms he is seeking, with aides suggesting he may not want to reveal his hand publicly at any stage in the process. However, he mentioned the UK’s demand for an exclusion from the EU drive for “ever closer union”, his unhappiness about the state of the single market and the requirement that national parliaments can set their own limits on welfare payments for new migrants. Cameron argues this would stop so many EU citizens being attracted to the UK as he comes under pressure over the fact net migration has increased to 318,000 a year.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/22/david-cameron-eu-reform-riga-european-union
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guarantee now the reforms, if you can call them that, will be limiting benefits in some way. Cameron will proclaim a great victory and every paper will back him.
    Us plebs will continue to see unmitigated immigration, have our wages sink further and our heritage further demolished.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of the party leaders support remaining in the EU except UKIP and I doubt Cameron is going to change his mind on that regardless of how he gets on with his negotiations. At least the country gets to decide not party leaders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    All of the party leaders support remaining in the EU except UKIP and I doubt Cameron is going to change his mind on that regardless of how he gets on with his negotiations. At least the country gets to decide not party leaders.

It will be interesting to see which major figures from Labour and Conservatives openly support the OUT campaign. They will need some Big Beasts with some credibility if they hope to win the referendum as if it is just UKIP plus a few lunatics then they won't have a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see which credible major figures from Labour and Conservatives openly support the OUT campaign. They will need some Big Beasts with some credibility if they hope to win the referendum as if it is just UKIP plus a few lunatics then they won't have a chance.

Corrected for you...nor sure Peter Bonio and Kate Fuey would count;-)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    I guarantee now the reforms, if you can call them that, will be limiting benefits in some way. Cameron will proclaim a great victory and every paper will back him.
    Us plebs will continue to see unmitigated immigration, have our wages sink further and our heritage further demolished.

How has our heritage been demolished?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see which major figures from Labour and Conservatives openly support the OUT campaign. They will need some Big Beasts with some credibility if they hope to win the referendum as if it is just UKIP plus a few lunatics then they won't have a chance.

Not many they are all lunatics don't you know. ;-)

Is this the best the government can come with up, if so oh dear. It seems tax credits is the big issue though the levels of these has nothing to do with the EU as the amounts in Germany are half what they are in the UK. Kind of suggests lower wages need more topping up here or God forbid the Germans just expect being in work to support yourself or perhaps the government wants harmony across the EU in tax credits. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32865227
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Not many they are all lunatics don't you know. ;-)

Is this the best the government can come with up, if so oh dear. It seems tax credits is the big issue though the levels of these has nothing to do with the EU as the amounts in Germany are half what they are in the UK. Kind of suggests lower wages need more topping up here or God forbid the Germans just expect being in work to support yourself or perhaps the government wants harmony across the EU in tax credits. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32865227

Sssshhhh....we don't want that kind of thinking and talk round here ;-)
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The horse has bolted and the Elite know it has. In fact, our political Elite open the damn gate to begin with. Thanks Labour and your multiculurism dream. We now live in a country with ever increasing Religious nutjobs, the wage floor being lowered each day and housing, schools and the health service all at breaking point.

but it's ok, the working tax credit will stop it.

The disdain our politicians have for us is truly remarkably.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

I believe the focus may well be on limiting tax credits and other benefits.

Tax credits for those on low wages are rather lucrative - compared to what they would get at home in eastern Europe - and can be worth several hundred pounds a month. For someone on minimum wage - potentially up £1,000 a month. Not sure why its the job of the UK taxpayer to subsidise low wages for foreign nationals - we already spend over £30 billion on our own nationals.

But that is the problem with tax credits - why would employers pay higher wages if the government happily tops low wages up instead so people can live on them.

When we are making our elderly in England pay up to £1,500 a month for their home helps - who have lived and paid taxes here for life - cos we have no money it is an issue.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    There will be a huge IN campaign supported by the government and big businesses. It seems that whenever the government launches a propaganda campaign, it pays off.

The Alternative Vote referendum was heavily influenced by the government, as was Scotland's independence referendum. If Cameron wants us in the EU, I seriously doubt we'll be leaving.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The horse has bolted and the Elite know it has. In fact, our political Elite open the damn gate to begin with. Thanks Labour and your multiculurism dream. We now live in a country with ever increasing Religious nutjobs, the wage floor being lowered each day and housing, schools and the health service all at breaking point.

but it's ok, the working tax credit will stop it.

The disdain our politicians have for us is truly remarkably.

I think if there is integration and acceptance of the national rules and cultures it can work. But the problem is that even in supposed multicultural wonderful London we are creating divided communities and estates where people live with their own.

We did of course celebrate the Irish gay marriage vote at the weekend - I do wonder if we had such a vote whether it would pass in Tower Hamlets and Bradford and in due course other areas.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Cameron has as much right to a choice as you or I as to whether we remain in the EU. He can also campaign for us to stay in. All I ask of him and the other MPs is that they are honest about what they want.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Nothing bogus about it - but once we have had it - if effectively shuts up the anti-EU lobby in his own party - what are they going to do - suggest that one ignores the wishes of the majority?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    There will be a huge IN campaign supported by the government and big businesses. It seems that whenever the government launches a propaganda campaign, it pays off.

Not just the government. Labour, SNP, Lib Dems, PC and the Greens will also support IN. So will most of the Unions.

Apart from UKIP you will be left with a few from the fringes of Labour and Tories supporting OUT.

There is a genuine case to be made for OUT but they need to find more credible proponents than Peter Bone to lead the campaign.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    David Cameron has as much right to a choice as you or I as to whether we remain in the EU. He can also campaign for us to stay in. All I ask of him and the other MPs is that they are honest about what they want.

David Cameron and other MPs are there to serve the British people, that is their only choice.