Options

So much for the new planner software

Comments

• Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the time I have to schedule certain shows to record the repeat showings to avoid clashes (I find this preferable to Catch-up), and have set these repeats as series links.

I seem to then get multiple sets now and again of "next series" links for these programmes.

Could this be down to the fact that that the planner is referring to the original broadcast as well as the repeat I've linked?

I would also add that I've sometimes had to reschedule to record these "repeat" showings after having started to watch the "original" showings because a new different programme would have caused a clash.

I've therefore "series linked" the same programme at different broadcast times (if you get my drift).
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aerofly2 wrote: »
    A lot of the time I have to schedule certain shows to record the repeat showings to avoid clashes (I find this preferable to Catch-up), and have set these repeats as series links.

I seem to then get multiple sets now and again of "next series" links for these programmes.

Could this be down to the fact that that the planner is referring to the original broadcast as well as the repeat I've linked?

I would also add that I've sometimes had to reschedule to record these "repeat" showings after having started to watch the "original" showings because a new different programme would have caused a clash.

I've therefore "series linked" the same programme at different broadcast times (if you get my drift).

Before deleting what will be a future clash try actually removing the series link first then delete the program and reschedule at a different time.
    If you don't the box will just pick up the clash time version and you will have problems.

Also if you don't want a series link to be searching for next series/next episode then remove the series link when you know that the last episode is actually in your planner as a scheduled recording, as once its recorded its already gone to the next series/next episode section.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new "series link" display has nothing whatsoever to do with the apparent change in behaviour of shows appearing that have no chance of coming back. It is merely showing the list of shows that have "series link" on them. These links were not visible before.

That sounds plausible. Deleting the damned things is the problem though. They like to keep coming back after deletion.
  • Options
    dcopparddcoppard Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    That sounds plausible. Deleting the damned things is the problem though. They like to keep coming back after deletion.

I had this problem too but a planner rebuild worked for one of the ones I had deleted multiple times and it hasn't come back yet.

Probably a coincidence though that a daily series link on channel 4 that I was recording has set up a separate stack since the rebuild for the program!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dcoppard wrote: »
    I had this problem too but a planner rebuild worked for one of the ones I had deleted multiple times and it hasn't come back yet.

Probably a coincidence though that a daily series link on channel 4 that I was recording has set up a separate stack since the rebuild for the program!

I'll give that a go - thank you dcoppard. :)
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate seems to be a bit strong, after all, it's only 1 button press (Ch up) to get to your oldest recordings.

On the old EPG, it could be 7 or 8 presses for some to get to their newest recordings, so seems fairer all round.

I hate it too, absolutely loathe it in fact!

I hate that, when I've watched something, it doesn't go straight back to my A-Z menu and, to get back to that, I now have to come out of the planner altogether, go back in and then select A-Z again! How is this better?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    I hate it too, absolutely loathe it in fact!

I hate that, when I've watched something, it doesn't go straight back to my A-Z menu and, to get back to that, I now have to come out of the planner altogether, go back in and then select A-Z again! How is this better?

We are all creatures of habit and as such don't like change, so when something like this happens even if a lot of people could do with it some will always find they just don't like it! Call it human nature.
    Its here now, its not the end of the world its not even as bad as not having all HD regions of the PSBs!
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After this little update Sky Catch Up just won't work, any ideas?

Nvm guys just cracked it.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new EPG is probably the worst software upgrade I have ever come across. From what I have seen on various forums, it seems to be full of bugs and is proving to be very unpopular with a great number of customers - me included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    We are all creatures of habit and as such don't like change, so when something like this happens even if a lot of people could do with it some will always find they just don't like it! Call it human nature.
    Its here now, its not the end of the world its not even as bad as not having all HD regions of the PSBs!

But how is it an improvement when something as basic as this, which now requires an extra 2 (unnecessary) steps? A-Z is surely a basic function that most people use.
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    But how is it an improvement when something as basic as this, which now requires an extra 2 (unnecessary) steps? A-Z is surely a basic function that most people use.

I've certainly never used it! Have you tried using the incremental planner search instead to quickly find the recording you are after..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sceptic wrote: »
    I've certainly never used it! Have you tried using the incremental planner search instead to quickly find the recording you are after..?

I prefer to search my listings alphabetically - it's quick and easy. I find this new system is all over the place, it's not quick at all and it's extremely irritating. I've yet to speak to anyone who thinks it's an improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to also admit to never using the A-Z listings, just don't find it intuitive, but each to their own and I can see how it would annoy some people.
    As I mentioned in a previous post above, I have a Harmony One remote and I would certainly advise using one if you want to make the planner work a little easier for you.

After a bit of headscratching I've managed to get it to do what I want.

1. It allows you to create 'activities' such as 'Watch Sky 5.1', which can be programmed to control several pieces of AV with the press of a button.
    2. It can store several pages of Favourites (with icons) on its touchscreen.
    3. You can set up button press 'sequencies' which will go a long way to alleviating some of the 'changes' thrown up by the new planner.

It's allowed me to utilise an unused 'menu' button on my Harmony which I've now programmed as a 'planner schedule' button which, with one button press, now takes me to the first entry in my 'scheduled' tab.:)

Admittedly the Harmony software can be a bit confusing, but with practice it gets easier.
    Steve
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can confirm that the new software DOES happily have the capacity to stack together programmes with or without the term 'New'.

A New:NCIS episode has just appeared in a stack with previously just a run of NCIS episodes after I changed from recording the second screening on FX to the first run screening (with New on it) during last week.

So, as suggested in the post at the top of this page, that is one plus of this new software.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Sky ever be able to identify duplicate broadcasts?

I set up a series link for Bubble Guppies for my little one, which was just one season and I believe about 20-22 episodes.

Anyway, it's now recorded over 110 episodes and counting. Clearly it doesn't know or care that these are all duplicates, given the way I assume they're repeated during the day.

The order on the planner is odd too, but that could be down to how Nick Jr is showing them.

My Series 1 TiVo could manage this, and that was some 15 years ago!
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Will Sky ever be able to identify duplicate broadcasts?

I set up a series link for Bubble Guppies for my little one, which was just one season and I believe about 20-22 episodes.

Anyway, it's now recorded over 110 episodes and counting. Clearly it doesn't know or care that these are all duplicates, given the way I assume they're repeated during the day.

The order on the planner is odd too, but that could be down to how Nick Jr is showing them.

My Series 1 TiVo could manage this, and that was some 15 years ago!

It's down the data the broadcasters supply, if the broadcaster adds the same series link chain to the repeat episodes as the original broadcast then your box will record the repeats as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Sky ever planning to change this, and can it be changed? As in each episode gets a unique identifier to stop this?

TiVo used to (and presumably still does) have a unique code, which seemed to work very well. You could then set up a season pass part way through a season, and it would fill in the missed episodes from repeats - but not get duplicates to fill up the hard drive!
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    There's nothing to change as far as Sky are concerned because that facility now already exists, but as Nsewell said, it completely relies on the broadcasters using it properly.
    If there are problems with links on non-Sky channels any complaint about it should be directed to the owner of the channel, not to Sky.
    Having said that, Sky's own EPG schedulers do sometimes get it wrong too!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see most people (including myself) bothering to complain to each channel, knowing they'd only get a standard apology and nothing more.

People just want a system that works in the first place.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I can't see most people (including myself) bothering to complain to each channel, knowing they'd only get a standard apology and nothing more.

People just want a system that works in the first place.

It works, if the channel puts the wrong data in, then it doesn't work, no matter what system Sky use, if the channels don't use the right data.

You wouldn't complain to Ford if your car broke down because the garage you used had contaminated fuel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works until people mess up the data, which means it had flaws. And no doubt always will.

TiVo gave/gives everything a unique ID. Presumably the Sky EPG method means you can't set a link part way through a series and it gets the ones you've missed if they're repeated? That's another flaw.

Sure, my life won't end because of these flaws but I do wish people wouldn't defend the system by saying it should work! I know it should! Hence why I'm moaning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've got a New Series reminder for Never Mind The Buzzcocks, so it'll be interesting to see if it disappears now that the BBC have cancelled it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a new Next Series listing today - for the next series of 'Titanic!'

Now, from memory, at the end of the last series, the ship sank, so I don't know if the makers plan to 'Raise the Titanic' for a new series, or even lower the Atlantic.

This really is some poor piece of software.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As already said,the box doesn't know if a series is coming back or not, it just remembers what you have recorded, and looks out to see if it comes back, is that bad?

Also, the box let you watch the program, it did not understand it, and definitely did not realise a ship sank and that's the end!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As already said,the box doesn't know if a series is coming back or not, it just remembers what you have recorded, and looks out to see if it comes back, is that bad?

Also, the box let you watch the program, it did not understand it, and definitely did not realise a ship sank and that's the end!!

If the box is going to retain information about every programme I record, and then look for the next series, then it's going to spend all it's time doing that as I record virtually every programme I watch so I can zip through the adverts. I don't think the three, four or five pages of Next Series listings I keep getting is going to do much from the RAM of the box.

And I still have to ask why, when I delete them, do they keep coming back? Who is the boss? Me or the box? As I said, this is some sorry piece of software.