Options

FIFA Officials arrested in dawn raid inZurich

Comments

• Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The US Attorney General herself was fielding questions, showing how seriously America are taking this.

I'd say Blatter's blood must be running cold at the moment. This is getting really grim and coming perilously close to the top of the organisation.

Yes, it was gratifying to see how seriously the US appear to be taking this. A lot of big hitters were on the podium and they didn't pull any punches. The basic message seemed to be..this is just the start, and we're coming to get you wherever you are.
    I'd be worried, even with the best lawyers money can buy. :)
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting statement from FIFA. Essentially washing their hands of CONCACAF machinations.

"FIFA welcomes actions that can help contribute to rooting out any wrongdoing in football. We understand that today’s actions by the Swiss Federal Office of Justice on behalf of the US authorities and the Swiss Office of the Attorney General (initiated by FIFA through the submission of the file on the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup bidding process) relate to different matters.

Firstly, the arrest of six individuals this morning in Zurich concerns investigations by the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of the State of New York. The Swiss authorities, acting on behalf of their US counterparts, arrested the individuals for activities carried out in relation with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL business.

The second instance follows FIFA’s initiative of presenting the file on the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup™ bidding process to the Swiss Office of the Attorney General in November 2014. The authorities are taking the opportunity of the FIFA Congress to interview those FIFA Executive Committee members who are not Swiss residents who voted back in 2010 and are still in office.

Today, the Swiss Office of the Attorney General announced that it has opened criminal proceedings against persons unknown in relation to the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup™ bidding process. FIFA is fully cooperating with the investigation and is supporting the collection of evidence in this regard. As noted by the Swiss authorities, this collection of evidence is being carried out on a cooperative basis.

We are pleased to see that the investigation is being energetically pursued for the good of football and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken"

makes you wonder how much of CONCACAF was to vote against Blatter.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    best case scenario: jail for as many as possible, and the World Cups removed from Russia and Qatar.
    more realistic - Blatter et al throw a few to the wolves and teflon it out.
    World Cups stay where they are.

Excellent from the US Attorney General and her staff though. Really good news. Hope they can see it through.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I'd be putting all my money on the Teflon scenario if I could.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Arguably the most corrupt body in world sport, the IOC, only changed when its sponsors threatened to pull the plug. I suspect it will be the same with FIFA: to date not a peep from the corporate financiers of this corrupt body, but I reckon, or rather I hope, the stance of this new US Attorney General will encourage sponsors to distance themselves from the mess.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The arrests just confirm what everyone has suspect was the case that corruption was wide spread and FIFA members have for a long time taken money for votes. The only shock is that someone has actually stood up and done something about it.

The FBI did what any basic investigation does it follows the money. they tracked the payments through USA bank accounts as now FBI can access swiss bank accounts. you follow the money you find the guy at the top at some point.

I hope now FIFA learn you cannot cover it up any longer that they need to clean house and starting at the top. Sepp Blatter surely has to go after this ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are blinding themselves (dislike of Blatter) to the fact that the arrests regard activities of CONCACAF and not FIFA. CONCACAF are their own association with their own rules and regs and governance.

A further analogy - it would be the equivalent of the UN being taken to task for the activities of Russia.

Of course the world cup bid investigation is seperate but that was initiated by FIFA itself. Do you really expect FIFA to hand over a dossier about possible corruption if Blatter had any direct involvement?
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,491
    Forum Member
    Anything found to be even the teeniest bit corrupt should be shelved (Qatar, Russia).
    Anyone found to be even the teeniest bit corrupt will be charged (anyone in FIFA and their associates).
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone deserves to be behind bars it's Blatter. Hope he gets done. Vile individual.
    FIFA have been rotten to the core for decades.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. I will sooner see pigs fly, the moon turn into chesse and one of the 4 parts of the British Isles win the next World Cup than see any fundamental root and branch change (including the withdraw of the Qatar World Cup) happen at FIFA.
  • Options
    Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6 of the 7 arrested in Zurich are opposing extradition to the USA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blatter will walk away scot free from this, mark my words.

There will be no money trail to him. If there was he would have been arrested already.

As for his election to president, pure politics - you scratch my back I'll scratch yours type of thing with nothing recorded.

There is a reason Blatter has lasted so long, he is a very shrewd guy.
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay my country.

It's interesting that the US is the country doing this, when I suppose any country could have. I imagine that there are probably other countries willing to offer the assistance, but for whom there would be more public outcry if FIFA retaliated in some way. It might be that the general disinterest in football in the US will work to our advantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oncemore wrote: »
    Yay my country.

It's interesting that the US is the country doing this, when I suppose any country could have. I imagine that there are probably other countries willing to offer the assistance, but for whom there would be more public outcry if FIFA retaliated in some way. It might be that the general disinterest in football in the US will work to our advantage.

US RICO laws. Not many countries have a law that says they can arrest people in any country if there is a link to their home nation. Think the US is the only country that does.

So use of a US bank and US currency anywhere in the world for corrupt reasons means that under US law the US can arrest you anywhere in the world.

A somewhat controversial extension of US legal jurisdiction.

And heaven help any country that doesn't comply. Diplomatic pressure like you haven't seen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    And now Tony Blair has resigned as Envoy to The Middle East.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32905468

Smoke, fire? or coincidence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Absolutely. I'd be putting all my money on the Teflon scenario if I could.

Earlier today, I would have agreed. But now I'm not so sure. Some of those indictments include matters close to Blatter. The case extends to bribes to affect the World Cup 2010 and the 2011 presidential bid..which Blatter won of course.
    We also don't know if anyone among those to be questioned has anything on Blatter, and whether they'll "snitch". A lot of recent evidence has come from Chuck Blazer who decided to cooperate with the FBI. The Swiss have also hinted that they are about to bring criminal charges against (so far) unnamed individuals.
    This has a long way to run. I find it incredible that FIFA believe they can just carry on with their presidential election. Perhaps tomorrow morning, when it finally all sinks in, they'll have a re-think about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    I think people are blinding themselves (dislike of Blatter) to the fact that the arrests regard activities of CONCACAF and not FIFA. CONCACAF are their own association with their own rules and regs and governance.

A further analogy - it would be the equivalent of the UN being taken to task for the activities of Russia.

Of course the world cup bid investigation is seperate but that was initiated by FIFA itself. Do you really expect FIFA to hand over a dossier about possible corruption if Blatter had any direct involvement?

Not really. They held their own investigation, then closed it saying there was nothing to see. Even the guy they appointed to head the investigation (who's name I forget) was disappointed that the true facts were not released.
    Their offices were raided today and electronic (presumably computers etc) evidence was seized. Yes, FIFA "cooperated", but it doesn't sound as if they had much choice.
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    US RICO laws. Not many countries have a law that says they can arrest people in any country if there is a link to their home nation. Think the US is the only country that does.

So use of a US bank and US currency anywhere in the world for corrupt reasons means that under US law the US can arrest you anywhere in the world.

A somewhat controversial extension of US legal jurisdiction.

And heaven help any country that doesn't comply. Diplomatic pressure like you haven't seen.

Indeed it is controversial. I think it has been used for terrorists and for people who broke copyright / intellectual property laws. In this case, however, it seems that the law is generally supported. So I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day. :P
  • Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who gets to keep the money that they have confiscated/recovered

Does it go into the US Treasury ?
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice for them to explain it in terms us dumb football fans can understand...

"World Cup of Fraud"

A "red card" for the FIFA officials involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Uefa now calling for the FIFA election to be postponed.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the warning that "this is only the beginning of the investigation" means that they are after others involved, and will use the ones arrested to winkle out those who are more canny with their financial arrangements.

Must say that after the bloody whitewash that constituted the FIFA investigation, it is refreshing to see that at least a few of corrupt pustules that infest the game of football may pay for their crimes....

Thanks USA.......

edit.... As anyone with any sense realises, corruption isn't a new phenomenon, so maybe we eventually will find out how infected the various European leagues are.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was nice for them to explain it in terms us dumb football fans can understand...

"World Cup of Fraud"

A "red card" for the FIFA officials involved.

To be fair, there are some dumb football fans currently running the FIFA establishment. Sometimes you need to spell out - in crayon if necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who gets to keep the money that they have confiscated/recovered

Does it go into the US Treasury ?

I think so, as I think it is part of the US RICO act?.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rupstoh wrote: »
    Uefa now calling for the FIFA election to be postponed.

South America's just joined them....