Options

Automatic vs Manual

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auto for me. I drove a manual for the first 19 years but after driving an auto rental in the USA I realised how much more pleasant it usually was. My only gripes were fuel economy, 'hunting' on hills and (when I tried one back home) gear changes mid way round roundabouts. Then I tried a car with a CVT and all of those problems went away.

I now take the view that selecting gear ratios is a menial task and since machines exist that can do it at least as well as me they should be left to it. I have more important things to do things that (at the moment) no machine can do :)
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I drive a bit slower than in a manual - maybe because I'm more relaxed.
    That was my experience of CVT. It's such a smooth stepless progression that you can't help but be laid back. Oh and if you're used to minimising brake usage most autos encourage a more laid back approach because you know you have to lift off a lot earlier.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rule of thumb is if you're under 45, manual all the way. Over 45, you can consider one as part of the pipe and slippers package.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,081
    Forum Member
    Driving an automatic is easier, but they use more fuel therefore your likely to pay higher road tax for an automatic. Also insurance is more expensive. If the transmission goes wrong its very expensive to repair. Cost of servicing is also higher.
    Automatic cars are also more expensive.

I understand you are happy to be restricted to driving automatics but you won't believe how inconvenient that is.
    So you need to drive a friend home from whose been drinking in the pub and their car is manual, you can't do it!
    You want a new car and see one you really like but its only available in manual transmission.

TBH cut your losses and pay to get a good instructor and just do your test in a manual!

With some manufacturers the fuel economy argument doesn't really apply any more. The dual clutch autos aren't much different to manuals. Ford's Powershift is 1 or 2mpg worse than the manual, it's neither here nor there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    With some manufacturers the fuel economy argument doesn't really apply any more. The dual clutch autos aren't much different to manuals. Ford's Powershift is 1 or 2mpg worse than the manual, it's neither here nor there.
    Yah, the Honda Jazz auto is rated as slightly more economical than the manual. Again only by a couple of mpg though.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,081
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Yah, the Honda Jazz auto is rated as slightly more economical than the manual. Again only by a couple of mpg though.

Sounds great, but the Jazz really is al old person's car!

I think the Ford Powershift paired with the Ecoboost 1.0 engine would be a great match, I'm glad that's available now. That's always been the problem with the Mk3 Focus-the most popular engine with an auto was the 1.6 petrol. It's a lovely engine to drive but is getting on a bit now so fuel economy isn't great.

Shame they couldn't have got the 1.0l working with Powershift earlier.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I see no benefits in a manual car whatsoever (and I have driven both). However, I know people who are obsessive drivers and don't feel like they are really driving unless they drive a manual (because automatic is so much easier).

In Germany for instance where people are absolutely obsessed with cars it's very difficult to buy an automatic car. Most makes are in manual only.

Unless you are one of those obsessive drivers though, there really is no benefit to driving manual.

I think I must be an obsessive driver then;-), as I could never drive an automatic, I love the feel and control of changing gears.

Gears all the way for me.. as I feel an automatic is "cheating". My husband bought an automatic once and I hated driving it.

My mother's German, I must get it from her.

Having said that, I am not stuck in traffic jams a lot - nor do I have a disability, if I did, I may feel different.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how popular electric, electric hybrid, hydrogen, and driverless cars can ever be in UK while most of the people prefer a manual transmission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I wonder how popular electric, electric hybrid, hydrogen, and driverless cars can ever be in UK while most of the people prefer a manual transmission.
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/cr-z

"The CR-Z’s 1.5-litre petrol engine is a VTEC unit derived from the US-market Fit (aka Jazz), but here it’s configured to allow one intake valve to be deactivated at low revs for more fuel-saving swirl. It is linked to a modified version of the Honda Civic six-speed manual ’box, with a short-throw shift."

So not all hybrids are automatic. I've never driven a CR-Z though.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    Just to emphasise that an automatic gearbox doesn't always mean higher fuel consumption, figures from the VW site...

Golf 1.4 TSI Bluemotion (125ps) (Urban/Extra Urban/Combined)
    Manual - 42.8, 65.7, 54.3
    Auto DSG - 45.6, 65.7, 56.5

Golf 1.4 TSI ACT Bluemotion (150ps)
    Manual - 47.9, 65.7, 58.9
    Auto DSG - 48.7, 68.9, 60.1

However looking at the diesel engines, you do getter better consumption with a manual gearbox.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    The rule of thumb is if you're under 45, manual all the way. Over 45, you can consider one as part of the pipe and slippers package.

It’s true that Manufacturers do supply complimentary ‘pipes and slippers’ with every new automatic car if the buyer is over 45.

They are usually in a special ‘ presentation box’ that is placed on the back seat;........however, it isn’t compulsory to use them.

My new automatic car is actually ‘faster’ (0-100KM/Hr) than it’s equivalent manual gearbox version. The fuel consumption is almost identical too.

If I’m honest it does seem to be a bit slower when I drive it using the ‘slippers’ provided;..... but that may be just psychological.

P.S.. I don’t smoke so I’ve not tried the ‘pipe’........ the car would probably grind to a halt if I did.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    learn in a manual, if only because hire car company's stiff you for an auto.

After that drive what you like, :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    I think I must be an obsessive driver then;-), as I could never drive an automatic, I love the feel and control of changing gears.

Gears all the way for me.. as I feel an automatic is "cheating". My husband bought an automatic once and I hated driving it.

My mother's German, I must get it from her.

Having said that, I am not stuck in traffic jams a lot - nor do I have a disability, if I did, I may feel different.
    My mate recently started driving again since suffering a stroke a few years ago but is now restricted to auto for obvious reasons.

After trying a variety of makes he opted for a Skoda Roomster. Have to admit the gear changes really are smooth and it's a cracking little car. VW of course....German engineering! :)

The Auto vs Manual debate is all down to horses for courses really and suitability, though if taking a driving test i'd definitely take it in a manual so you then at least have choice.

If living in central London it makes sense to go for an auto....though even more sense to have no car at all! Quicker by foot or Tube!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd advise learning in a manual then you can buy what you like afterwards. Also if you had to borrow a car off someone short term for something, or even hire a van, you'd be stuck.

I wouldn't rule out an automatic, but I tend to buy at the cheap end of the market and choices of autos are limited, especially if you want something small to mid sized. Not so bad if you're buying new and can choose what you like.

The fuel consumption might have improved with autos over the years, but there are some nasty autos out there, usually the "robotised manuals" which can be slow, jerky or suffer electronic failure. Even ye hallowed Volkswagen who can do no wrong in the general public's eyes have had complaints about faults with the DSG boxes they have chosen to bestow upon us. Proper torque converters and CVTs are usually OK, though it's not really always obvious what you're getting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Poor Manuel.. Hope it didn't hurt him too hard. :o

Only time before someone typed this :D
    Some of us have been resisting the temptation in an attempt to retain thread decorum.

It does remind me of an account I have on my laptop. Sometimes Microsoft Update screws up the primary account so I created a spare that I use to fix things. It's called 'Manuel Update' :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen modern versions of the VW vans fitted with the automated DSG transmission....so automatic vans are out there. Not sure about on the ford transit though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/cr-z

"The CR-Z’s 1.5-litre petrol engine is a VTEC unit derived from the US-market Fit (aka Jazz), but here it’s configured to allow one intake valve to be deactivated at low revs for more fuel-saving swirl. It is linked to a modified version of the Honda Civic six-speed manual ’box, with a short-throw shift."

So not all hybrids are automatic. I've never driven a CR-Z though.

I am not sure on the specifics, but i do know the current jazz hybrid is only a "mild hybrid" or "electric assist" design. The petrol engine is working the entire time.
    If the same design is used in the CR-Z, that might be why they can fit a manual transmission to it (tho the jazz hybrid is auto).

As an aside I don't see much advantage is electric assist hybrids. I would see the main reason for going hybrid is the ability to run in electric only mode, eg for going to the shops or to the school. Eg, such as the Toyota Prius.
    Also, with the price hike on the hybrid jazz and otherwise very respectable mpg of the regular petrol jazz, I see little point in paying the extra for he hybrid option. It would take 10 years or something silly to recoup the cost of the hybrid. Similar thing to deciding wether to choose a petrol or diesel car.
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member

It may be the rule of your thumb, but I bought my first automatic, a diesel Mercedes, when I was around 28-29, and I've never bought anything other than an automatic since.
    I don't wear slippers, and I don't smoke, so that set would be wasted on me.
    On rare occasions I've had to suffer a manual when renting in Europe, but if there's been an automatic available for more money, then I've taken it.
    I don't understand why anyone would prefer to use a clutch and gearshift over an automatic, but that's their choice, nothing wrong in it, it's just not for me.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,735
    Forum Member
    Ideally, what answer do you want to hear?

If you think you may constantly fail a manual test. take the automatic test to get yourself on the road and to gain your confidence. Autos are much easier to drive, and many smaller cars have an auto gearbox these days, so the selection to choose from is quite widespread.

Is the cost a big issue to you, re the initial price of the car, fuel, and insurance, (if that really does impact??) In a small engine capacity auto I doubt the difference in fuel consumption is that great.

I have a friend who just has an auto licence, says it is the best thing she ever did and would never drive a manual now, even if she now took the manual test.

It is a restriction that would only bother you if you make it an issue. If you have more than one car in the family and the others are manual, that could be the main drawback, but being able to drive at all is a huge positive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    As an aside I don't see much advantage is electric assist hybrids. I would see the main reason for going hybrid is the ability to run in electric only mode, eg for going to the shops or to the school. Eg, such as the Toyota Prius.
    Also, with the price hike on the hybrid jazz and otherwise very respectable mpg of the regular petrol jazz, I see little point in paying the extra for he hybrid option. It would take 10 years or something silly to recoup the cost of the hybrid. Similar thing to deciding wether to choose a petrol or diesel car.
    Definitely. I glanced at it but the numbers just didn't add up. In any case with my driving style (very little use of brakes) I'm not sure hybrids are a good match for me. Ultimately they are about reclaiming wasted energy and I prefer to avoid wasting it in the first place.

I think the CR-Z is trying to appeal to the 'sporty set' while still retaining some eco credentials. An interesting concept but I've not seen many of them around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....when I went to look at the Honda Jazz at a main dealer, it just so happened that they had a hybrid version just in (which hadn't even appeared on their web site yet and had not even been cleaned yet). I had to think quick tbh as I wasn't expecting the option, and the sales person was quite pushy and really wanted me to have the hybrid.......but it didn't make financial sense....he claimed the hybrid would return 60mpg,.....and I replied, according to the tests, so does the regular car...
    I also thought about the added complexity of a hybrid......a lot more to go wrong, & the fact it's only a electric assist hybrid, which seems a bit pointless to me.
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is nice to have the option of driving any car if you need to, especially if its at short notice or you're in a tight spot etc so I would say do your test in a manual and then get whichever car you want.

You said yourself that gear changes aren't an issue for you, so maybe you just need more ldriving lessons to get your confidence up. What have you failed on before? And how many lessons have you had? (I had 50-odd before my test).

I passed my test 11 years ago and had only ever driven a petrol manual until January this year (had one little go of an auto and really thought it wasn't for me). Then we needed a new car and I gave in to OH's pleas for a "nice" car and we got a merc c-class. It is SOOOO nice to drive (and has the option for manual gear change on the stick and wheel), I don't feel like I've compromised my "proper" driving at all, and compared to my 2001 ford focus it bloody kicks :D

2 weeks ago I took my Mum's manual corsa to the garage for a check-up. Stalled it about 4 times before I'd got down the road! Somehow my brain has forgotten how to drive a manual (despite the fact that I'm still looking to change gears in my auto when I pull away!)!!

Re previous posts - my auto didn't come with pipe and slippers as standard: where do I complain? :o
    Also how do I know if it's CVT or DSG? It definitely has "creep".
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I learnt in a manual, passed in a manual and still drive a manual.

I've never understood what's not to get about gears?
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I learnt in a manual, passed in a manual and still drive a manual.

I've never understood what's not to get about gears?
    Automatics can make driving easier for people with certain physical disabilities.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Automatics can make driving easier for people with certain physical disabilities.

I'm obviously aware that some people can't physically drive manuals, but I meant in general. What part of gears is the bit that people who struggle with them tend to struggle with?! Knowing what gear to be in, or not having the clutch down correclty, or something else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FearFactor wrote: »
    Also how do I know if it's CVT or DSG? It definitely has "creep".
    A CVT will be smoother. Unless you mash the accelerator pedal to the floor you will never feel a gear change. With careful observation you might notice that the relationship between engine rpm and road speed is a bit odd. For instance it's possible for road speed to be gradually rising while engine rpm gradually falls. Mostly though you'll just notice that the rpm doesn't vary as much as your speed with a CVT :)