Options

Is it possible to speak to an english person from Talk Talk?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
Forum Member
Just wondering as it's never happened to me.

Comments

• Options
    Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ''Hai my name is George (not really) may I be taking your details please?..what problem seems to be todai?''
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No matter what call centre I have called...I have never once spoken to anyone with a pure English accent... they are mainly scottish, asian or chinese...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have no problem with the workers to where the work has been outsourced. No different to when the car manufacturing industry decided that the UK was the best place to make cars - we took a lot of jobs from a lot of countries, and were quite proud of it!

But have huge issues with the companies that have done this!

Its not like our phone/internet/insurance bills have plummeted (whilst theirs have & their profits soared!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No different to when the car manufacturing industry decided that the UK was the best place to make cars - we took a lot of jobs from a lot of countries, and were quite proud of it!

Still are, loads of cars are made here. Evidently the Japanese car firms in particular think the UK is a great country to build cars in as the big ones are all here.

My experience of Indian call centres varies massively to be honest. Some ISP's Indian call centres seem pretty good, others I hear are awful.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I'm with talk talk and have got through to a few english guys before. Have no advice on how to get through to them though, guessing it was just pot luck.

To be honest though, i have to say the talk talk india cs side has improved a lot. When i first joined with them they were terrible but now they seem to resolve problems quickly.

@OP- Have you tried going through the talk talk members forums. If you register there you just need to fill out a few questions and they'll be able to get back to you within 1 working day. I've used it many a time and i must say they are much better than the call centres.
  • Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No options puts you straight through to an advisor in Preston.
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I eventually got put through to a native English speaker when I insisted on cancelling my contract after the promised 'Go Live' date didn't happen as the BT engineer turned up & discovered that I needed a new line (as I had told TalkTalk). When I called TalkTalk on various numbers I got a hell of a runaround from them variously insisting that my line was active but had a fault that they would look at, that an engineer would get back to me within 72 hours, one rep who thought that I wanted help with setting up my online account etc All the while they kept asking me to repeat myself as obviously they couldn't understand me while I had to keep asking them to repeat themselves as I couldn't understand them. It really was unutterably awful so I did not relish the prospect of having to do that if I ever really had a fault on the line.

The native English speaker tried to insist that I would have to pay a termination fee while I equally told him that I would not as it was TalkTalk who were in breach of contract for not installing the line on the agreed date (not my problem that they couldn't sort this out between themselves & BT) & that if I had known how awful their telephone support was I would never had signed up in the first place. I followed up with a recorded delivery letter to confirm cancellation. I received a pre-paid plastic sack to return the modem.

I have subsequently signed up with TalkTalk Business at about the same price per month & although I have yet to call their support line they do make a very strong point about their 800-strong UK-based support staff & UK-based call centres.
  • Options
    dodgem22dodgem22 Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Im afraid that I would not sign up to Talk Talk Business after being given such dreadful service on the domestic side of things as you were.

Hope this works out better for you though.
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TalkTalk & TalkTalk Business are run as two entirely separate companies who use the infrastructure provided by a 3rd company TalkTalk Technology who run the physical network. TalkTalk Business were originally Pipex one of the UK's original ISPs. TalkTalk were originally AOL & Tiscali.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    madnes wrote: »

No options puts you straight through to an advisor in Preston.

No this is Calcutta sorry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Yes it is possible because work is outsourced to other places and when you made call then it will be transferred to that location. So its not the big issue according to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I am sooooooooooooo fed up !!! With Talk Talk fibre optic. Not sure if the problem is theirs or the cabinet in the village! Just been holding on phone and and off for 2 hours while they do tests, she then says with my scredriver undo 2 screws in telephone socket as I need to put broadband socket directly in there to do further testing. What?!!! I just couldn't make her understand that a. I don't have a screwdriver handy, b. I need to now please get dressed as been on phone since early hours c. There is a heavy cupboard in front of socket and also will have to move heavy table PC stands on !!! I will also have to lie on the floor whilst trying to talk to her and take instructions - with a bad hip !!!

She eventually agreed to call me back at midday when I have had the chance to find the correct scredriver and move everything so that I can get access !!

Do they think we live in houses with sockets at waist height and tools just handy on the windowcill etc etc and easy access to wires at the back of our PCs???

Totally fed up !!!!!! Bring back the stone and chisel - easier that way !!!
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,422
    Forum Member
    goforgold wrote: »
    I am sooooooooooooo fed up !!! With Talk Talk fibre optic. Not sure if the problem is theirs or the cabinet in the village! Just been holding on phone and and off for 2 hours while they do tests, she then says with my scredriver undo 2 screws in telephone socket as I need to put broadband socket directly in there to do further testing. What?!!! I just couldn't make her understand that a. I don't have a screwdriver handy, b. I need to now please get dressed as been on phone since early hours c. There is a heavy cupboard in front of socket and also will have to move heavy table PC stands on !!! I will also have to lie on the floor whilst trying to talk to her and take instructions - with a bad hip !!!

She eventually agreed to call me back at midday when I have had the chance to find the correct scredriver and move everything so that I can get access !!

Do they think we live in houses with sockets at waist height and tools just handy on the windowcill etc etc and easy access to wires at the back of our PCs???

To be fair to TalkTalk it is hardly their problem that you

1. Do not possess a screwdriver
    2. Have a cupboard obstructing your phone socket
    3. Have not got dressed(?)

These are basic tests that any ISP will ask you to do in the first instance. The reason being if the fault is found to be within your own home then Openreach will levy a charge for any repairs/callout. The test socket bypasses all your internal wiring and any extensions etc
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    To be fair to TalkTalk it is hardly their problem that you

1. Do not possess a screwdriver
    2. Have a cupboard obstructing your phone socket
    3. Have not got dressed(?)

These are basic tests that any ISP will ask you to do in the first instance. The reason being if the fault is found to be within your own home then Openreach will levy a charge for any repairs/callout. The test socket bypasses all your internal wiring and any extensions etc

To be fair the socket could be better designed to provide test access without needing to unscrew the front plate. I believe the US equivalent of the NTE5 does just that - you can unplug a wire link that connects the house wiring to the line, and plug in a phone, modem or whatever without unscrewing anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've totally missed my point - never mind can't be bothered to explain!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    To be fair the socket could be better designed to provide test access without needing to unscrew the front plate. I believe the US equivalent of the NTE5 does just that - you can unplug a wire link that connects the house wiring to the line, and plug in a phone, modem or whatever without unscrewing anything.

S2k totally missed my point. Because of the language problem i was unable to explain to the lady that i would need to go find a screwdriver, therefore needed to get dressed and would need time to move everything to get at socket. In the end she did call me back and before I'd even completed doing what she asked me to do she said thank you for doing a particular test. At that point i gave up.

My point also was that i thought it was quite amusing to be talking to someone that expects that I'm standing with screwdriver in hand and with instant access to plugs filters et al.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    S2k totally missed my point. Because of the language problem i was unable to explain to the lady that i would need to go find a screwdriver, therefore needed to get dressed and would need time to move everything to get at socket. In the end she did call me back and before I'd even completed doing what she asked me to do she said thank you for doing a particular test. At that point i gave up.

My point also was that i thought it was quite amusing to be talking to someone that expects that I'm standing with screwdriver in hand and with instant access to plugs filters et al.
    I haven't missed the point. Like I said it would have been what pretty much every ISP in the UK would have asked you to do in the first line of support. It's nothing to do with language barriers or being a foreign call centre.

I imagine you would be as equally annoyed with them if they failed to talk you through the basics and passed on a bill for £120 or whatever it is these days for a wasted Openreach callout.
  • Options
    firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    After spending many soul-destroying hours on various calls to Talk Talk departments, I can confirm I've only got through to off-shore call centres.

Now, this shouldn't be a problem if they were able to resolve problems. However, and ironically, the quality of phone lines and hold music is excruciating, they have a tendency (twice-and once when an advisor was trying to explain my case to a different department) to disconnect calls they can't handle, and being generally somewhat economical with the truth.

They make BT seem bastions of customer service in comparison!

</rant over>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't missed the point. Like I said it would have been what pretty much every ISP in the UK would have asked you to do in the first line of support. It's nothing to do with language barriers or being a foreign call centre.

I imagine you would be as equally annoyed with them if they failed to talk you through the basics and passed on a bill for £120 or whatever it is these days for a wasted Openreach callout.

Sorry, have to disagree, you DID miss my point and yes I do know all about support, working in IT myself !!!! You're delving into it far to deeper than it really is !!!

I have not come across anyone in the past when I have had a problem, asking me to unscrew anything on the wall !! Particuarly jumping suddenly from going through what is on my screen. You weren't a party to my call, so kindly just forget it !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do know all about support, working in IT myself !!!!

I have not come across anyone in the past when I have had a problem, asking me to unscrew anything on the wall !!
    If you worked in IT you would have an understanding of how 1st line support works. You don't send an engineer on a callout just to undo 2 screws and plug a phone cable in. Particularly not when you are selling your service at £2 a month or whatever it is now.

Feel free to have a rant but don't be surprised when others call you out. This is DS, not the comments section of the Daily Mail website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you worked in IT you would have an understanding of how 1st line support works. You don't send an engineer on a callout just to undo 2 screws and plug a phone cable in. Particularly not when you are selling your service at £2 a month or whatever it is now.

Feel free to have a rant but don't be surprised when others call you out. This is DS, not the comments section of the Daily Mail website.

Yes, and your'e behaving like one of those morons that comments on the DM !!!

As I've already mentioned, you've totally got the wrong end of the stick !!! Why do you keep mentioning Engineers? I didn't want or need an Engineer !!!

Of course you don't sent an engineer out on 1st line, or 2nd line or 3 line. Our hotels would be lucky to see an engineer at all, except when something major goes wrong with the server or it's being moved !!

What do you mean when others 'call' me out? Not got a clue ?!!

Why don't you just accept you've made a mistake!
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and your'e behaving like one of those morons that comments on the DM !!!

As I've already mentioned, you've totally got the wrong end of the stick !!! Why do you keep mentioning Engineers? I didn't want or need an Engineer !!!

Of course you don't sent an engineer out on 1st line, or 2nd line or 3 line. Our hotels would be lucky to see an engineer at all, except when something major goes wrong with the server or it's being moved !!

What do you mean when others 'call' me out? Not got a clue ?!!

Why don't you just accept you've made a mistake!

The problem is that it needs to be established whether the problem is with your side of the wiring or equipment. That means unscrewing the faceplate and trying the test socket (ideally with another router if you can, but most can't)

So the options there are doing it yourself, or sending someone out and hoping that it isn't an internal fault (or TT get billed for it, and at their prices that's several years of profit wiped out in all likelihood). That's why they want you to do it.

But then we've become a country that is too scared to do anything "technical" even if it is trivial. We're far away from the days where electrical stuff came without a plug and you were expected to fit one yourself, these days some people would pay an electrician to do it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    The problem is that it needs to be established whether the problem is with your side of the wiring or equipment. That means unscrewing the faceplate and trying the test socket (ideally with another router if you can, but most can't)

So the options there are doing it yourself, or sending someone out and hoping that it isn't an internal fault (or TT get billed for it, and at their prices that's several years of profit wiped out in all likelihood). That's why they want you to do it.

But then we've become a country that is too scared to do anything "technical" even if it is trivial. We're far away from the days where electrical stuff came without a plug and you were expected to fit one yourself, these days some people would pay an electrician to do it

Oh gawd, you've lost the plot too !! Wish I'd never bothered to put a throw away comment on here !! My comment hadn't got anything to do with not being able to unscrew a couple of poxy screws or anything else. I worked in engineering before IT, so harldy scared of a couple of screws.

Please forget my original comment on this thread, it's become a bit of a joke !!!

PS I don't have the problem now, so obviously it was a general problem with broadband probably at the cabinet in the village.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,081
    Forum Member

Pretty much this whole post was about you not wanting to unscrew the faceplate. Everyone has just tried to explain to you why TalkTalk asked you to do it.

It's not their fault that UK phone sockets are designed that way. The problem you were experiencing could have been caused by the wiring inside your house. That's why they wanted you to isolate it. No one has "lost the plot" at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Pretty much this whole post was about you not wanting to unscrew the faceplate. Everyone has just tried to explain to you why TalkTalk asked you to do it.

It's not their fault that UK phone sockets are designed that way. The problem you were experiencing could have been caused by the wiring inside your house. That's why they wanted you to isolate it. No one has "lost the plot" at all.

No it wasn't - obviously I didn't write the post very well !!!

I didn't mind unscrewing the blady plate at all - it was the fact that I could not explain to her in English why I hadn't got a screw driver by my desk and why it would take some time to move the cupboard in front of the plate and that to get a screwdriver I would need to get dressed. If it was an English person it would have taken me 20 seconds to explain my position and they would have called me back!

Please can this be the end of this very boring saga !!! I know all about why I needed to get the flamin' plate off !! DOH!!!!!!

Escuse the double post - PC playing up again. Probably because I didn't get around to removing that plate !!!!! :o