Options

EE Paul Coker

Comments

• Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I didn't see it tonight. So do we know who Paul's mother is and where she's supposed to be? ;-)
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see it tonight. So do we know who Paul's mother is and where she's supposed to be? ;-)

No that wasn't mentioned.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not even seen the episode yet and I am already totally bored of hearing how 'fit' this bloke is on here.

Can actually act - nor too much to ask for is it?

Anyway I hope that when poor Darth Abbi finds out about them she hacks off their cobblers with a rusty razor.

And yes I am in a foul mood. :D
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Christian comparison is lazy to be honest. The only thing they have in common is that they are gay men who are very comfortable with their sexuality. I don't like the "promiscuous" label either. So many straight characters arrive on the square and instantly set their eyes on a resident. I think Johnny Labey is a far better actor than John Partridge for a start. Plus he's not the camp, mincing cliché Christian was.
  • Options
    SoapAddict101SoapAddict101 Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Good actor but the whole Ben stuff was really contrived and badly written for me, but the jury is still out.

I can't wait for Abi to go all psycho on him when she finds out though. :D
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good actor but the whole Ben stuff was really contrived and badly written for me, but the jury is still out.

I can't wait for Abi to go all psycho on him when she finds out though. :D

Couldn't disagree more. Tonight's episode was written by the very perceptive and well researched Daran Little oneof the finest writers on the show and i thought, considering the position Ben is in his life, these were beautiful and well acted and written scenes :p:p
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree good scenes
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    He made me lol twice in his first episode, so I'm cautiously optimistic. It's really too early to tell and it will probably come down to his storylines and writing, but I like him so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not even seen the episode yet and I am already totally bored of hearing how 'fit' this bloke is on here.

Can actually act - nor too much to ask for is it?

Anyway I hope that when poor Darth Abbi finds out about them she hacks off their cobblers with a rusty razor.

And yes I am in a foul mood. :D

Foul moods not allowed here sorry, you must cheer up and smile your beautiful smile while commenting thank you lovey :p:p
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully we will see more of him and Lola as mates. Like a Roxy/ Christian relationship.

Ben is already the Syed of this storyline with Abi as Amira lol:D He's struggling with his sexuality, is kind of half-hearted towards his girlfriend and is scared about his family's reaction. Similar to Sy's story.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I liked his scenes with Ben and the way Ben looked afterwards. Ben looked just like a youngster who has just pulled. All in the facial expression. I liked both the actors. I'm really looking forward to more between them. I think this storyline will save Ben and will give him so much more than "being a Mitchell" and pleasing Phil. Abi's days as his girlfriend are numbered. One she's nagging him and now he's pulled a guy and will rapidly decide he doesn't want her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I liked his scenes with Ben and the way Ben looked afterwards. Ben looked just like a youngster who has just pulled. All in the facial expression. I liked both the actors. I'm really looking forward to more between them. I think this storyline will save Ben and will give him so much more than "being a Mitchell" and pleasing Phil. Abi's days as his girlfriend are numbered. One she's nagging him and now he's pulled a guy and will rapidly decide he doesn't want her.

Yes and I think we might just find out how evil Abi can be :o
  • Options
    rustnstardustrustnstardust Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Bertypop wrote: »
    I liked his plunging neckline.

Hmm so did I! Yum Yum
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes and I think we might just find out how evil Abi can be :o

Yes, she'll do her best to stir between Ben and Phil. Abi does have an evil side agreed. I'm looking forward to Kathy returning. She'll accept Ben as a gay youth more than Phil does. I can imagine Kathy putting Abi in her place if she stirs about Ben ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Yes, she'll do her best to stir between Ben and Phil. Abi does have an evil side agreed. I'm looking forward to Kathy returning. She'll accept Ben as a gay youth more than Phil does. I can imagine Kathy putting Abi in her place if she stirs about Ben ;-)

I agree and we already know from Jonny's interview that Ben want's to keep their affair a secret, I have already commented on another strand that Kathy's return could goone of two ways and the positive one is that Kathy will of course accept him as he is and he does a 360 and becomes human again the other I don't wish to consider at the moment;-)
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked him and I wasn't expecting to - he was both confident and had this kinda endearing insecurity at the same time. Idk...he felt like a dimensional character and not just a cliche 'here comes the token new gay love interest'.

I think being linked with Ben will ruin him though, so hopefully that is a fling and then done. Think Paul and Lola might have a nice friendship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really liked him and I wasn't expecting to - he was both confident and had this kinda endearing insecurity at the same time. Idk...he felt like a dimensional character and not just a cliche 'here comes the token new gay love interest'.

I think being linked with Ben will ruin him though, so hopefully that is a fling and then done. Think Paul and Lola might have a nice friendship.

Yes. It was nice to see Lola after her time away. Her and Paul have already hit it off and she has links to Ben. I think her and Paul will become firm friends.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    What lovely high cheekbones he has. He reminds me of a young Adam Ant. It's too soon to tell if I'll like his character but it wasn't a bad start.

Yes! I can totally see that!

I have a question about the Les/Claudette/Pam triangle. Based on Pam's joke about carrying on an affair for years without Les noticing, I'm guessing Les and Claudette have been an item for some time. When Paul spied the two of them walking off, they weren't doing anything suspicious. It's been established that Claudette has also known Les and Pam for years, which Paul would likely know as well, and it wouldn't seem unusual to see them talking together. So does that mean that Paul knows that Les and Claudette have been an item for a long time? Instead of Paul being upset about Pam's role in his father's death, has he stayed away because he's angry about Les's affair?
  • Options
    Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Haven't watched the episode yet, but I'll absolutely despise Paul, I can tell. I have a knack for these things.

How can you despise somebody if you haven't seen it? Don't tell me you're a sheep that needs the shepherd to tell you how to think!! Have you ever thought of having a positive attitude that might help to start off with.

What is it you think you won't like about him, is he involved in storylines with characters you don't like? Or is it because having a fourth gay character takes it up to 8% of the cast being in a same sex relationship, too many? Or would you rather tell me honestly why don't you like a character you've not seen, it isn't a touch of homophobia in 2015 is it? I personally think you're wiser than that so tell me your problem talk to Aaron you'll feel better for it!! ;-):D;-):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Yes my life is all about the gay.
    Mine too! :cool: Preferably when there are ladies involved but I'll take what I can get. :p Give me anything even slightly LGBTQ+ and I'm there. Even when I don't want to be. *sigh*

I liked Paul more than I was expected to, there's something very endearing about him. I like how honest and straightforward he seems. I even liked Ben for once, seemed like he came alive! And his reaction to kissing Paul and his little 'what, am I a bad kisser?' was so adorable. Never thought I'd be calling [strike]murderer[/strike] Ben adorable!

I still can't for the life of me understand why Ben seems to have forgotten the fact he already came out and the fact he got Phil's (begrudging) acceptance already though. I can semi understand why he's still closeted after prison but why is he acting like his family has a problem with it?

Can't lie, a part of me wishes they'd made Paul bi so he could date Lola (I like Lola and she needs *something*) and still be a love interest for Ben (but with no cheating, PLEASE) but considering how EE writes Sonia, how the label bisexual seemingly doesn't exist in Walford and how Danny Pennant was a really trope-ridden example, maybe it's for the best that he's gay. Plus, I don't want to see Lola heartbroken.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him , it's also the first time I felt for Ben, go!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it you think you won't like about him, is he involved in storylines with characters you don't like? Or is it because having a fourth gay character takes it up to 8% of the cast being in a same sex relationship, too many? Or would you rather tell me honestly why don't you like a character you've not seen, it isn't a touch of homophobia in 2015 is it? I personally think you're wiser than that so tell me your problem talk to Aaron you'll feel better for it!! ;-):D;-):D

Please don't put words into my mouth, I didn't mention his sexuality :confused:
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Paul Coker last night, and I don't just mean because of his looks..... For a new character he made a very quick impression on me and he has bags of potential for the future I think. I've been waiting for Bens sexuality to be brought up again because I am enjoying the storyline and think its an important issue to be brought up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I thought he was brilliant. A welcome edition. Nice to see a young, confident gay guy doing what he wants to do and not having to look over his shoulder or skulk about! Thankfully I don't think he was anything like Christian (as someone said previously). I think the confidence in Paul's manner actually reflects a huge part of how gay teenagers and young men are today. Christian used to strut around the square and each time he pulled a guy would virtually wink at the camera as if trying to make the situation bawdy. Paul treated the situation with Ben and the looking through his Grindr-esq mobile app completely naturally - as would any confident young gay lad in today's society - particularly lads who live in larger towns and cities. It really isn't the issue it once was and I'm glad this is being reflected.