Options

Brookside close as it looks now

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Here brokkie fans, thought you might like to see it now that real folk live in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd93ZcW5Vao

Comments

• Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Glad to see it looking better, because it looked awful for a long time
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh thanks for this :) I'm obsessed with Brookie I wish it was still with us.

I bought a house a few years ago, purely because it was built by the same developer and reminded me of living on Brookside Close!!!
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Liverpool last year...couldn't leave without paying a visit to Brookside...seemed quite surreal walking round the close... feel sorry for the residents they must get fed up with people like me being inquisitive ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    I was in Liverpool last year...couldn't leave without paying a visit to Brookside...seemed quite surreal walking round the close... feel sorry for the residents they must get fed up with people like me being inquisitive ...

I went there about 5yrs ago when it really was in a sorry state. It was REALLY surreal and actually quite creepy!

I was in my absolute element wandering around but my boyfriend was bored shitless. He just didn't get the fascination at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see it looking better, because it looked awful for a long time

Yes it took a long time to get them fit for people to live in, I wonder if the new owners were brookie fans.
  • Options
    West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see the Close looking better.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was my favourite TV soap growing up.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    The Dean family from Hollyoaks lived in one of those houses in 2004 and 2005.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    The Dean family from Hollyoaks lived in one of those houses in 2004 and 2005.

They did indeed, as did the Burtons and interestingly Mrs Cunninghams house was the first house on the close, even when Brooksife was still running, it was obscured from view and not used to film in Brookside so was picked up by HO.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I went there about 5yrs ago when it really was in a sorry state. It was REALLY surreal and actually quite creepy!

I was in my absolute element wandering around but my boyfriend was bored shitless. He just didn't get the fascination at all.

Like my husband ...he can't see my interest in either Corrie or Emmerdale ...he's never watched a soap in his life....:o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont remember that light brown house next to the grants house, unless its a recent new build.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    I dont remember that light brown house next to the grants house, unless its a recent new build.

Wasn't that Mick Johnsons house?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The residents must find al the wandering people a bit of nuisance
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks surprisingly small, it's really just a tiny cul de sac.

Just out of interest, is that a working class part of Liverpool?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »

From memory it's actually a very affluent suburb of Liverpool. The cul de sac of Brookside Close is within a larger development of the same style of houses, so you drive off the main road, into a real development of new (ish) houses (built at the same time as Brookside Close so are in a very similar style) then as you pass by a few streets you hit the entrance of Brookside Close (where there was once a security office and a gate which has since been demolished) there is number 1 and 3 on your left as you turn the corner (number 1 being the Cunningham home in Hollyoaks which was never actually featured in Brookside) then as the corner turns you enter into the cul de sac of houses which we know as Brookside.

Many of the properties were redeveloped when Hollyoaks used them as a set after Brookside folded (mainly being home to the Deans and Burtons) but they were redeveloped once again after the properties were sold on and are now barely recognisable as the houses we once knew as being home to the Grant, Dixon, Farnham and Jordache families.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »

it's, a mix of working class who have done well and moved up the social ladder and lower middle class who can't afford better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Wasn't that Mick Johnsons house?

Nope, it was never used in the soap and I can't even remember it being their, but the other two next to it I do recall.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The one on the right? http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54300000/jpg/_54300203_brookie075.jpg

That was actually the canteen for cast and crew, so wasn't used as a character home.

Recently the security office at the entrance to the Close has been demolished and is due to be replaced by a new house, not sure if that has been built yet. But all the other houses are the originals from when the close was built.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one on the right? http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/54300000/jpg/_54300203_brookie075.jpg

That was actually the canteen for cast and crew, so wasn't used as a character home.

Recently the security office at the entrance to the Close has been demolished and is due to be replaced by a new house, not sure if that has been built yet. But all the other houses are the originals from when the close was built.

Thats the one I mean, I cant remember it being their, but I guess it must have been the camera angles used at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    The residents must find al the wandering people a bit of nuisance

One of them invites people in for tea and a look around inside.:o
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work at Brookside back in 1990-1991 and some of the houses not used for filming were used for costume and make-up, editing suite, canteen and green room. I was in the production office, which was actually a portacabin behind the house used for make-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annielou wrote: »
    I used to work at Brookside back in 1990-1991 and some of the houses not used for filming were used for costume and make-up, editing suite, canteen and green room. I was in the production office, which was actually a portacabin behind the house used for make-up.

That was around the time they introduced the shopping arcade, which was a new set built miles away in a different part of the city.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Brookside was by far the best soap in its heyday
  • Options
    swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Don't like his presentation style.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's, a mix of working class who have done well and moved up the social ladder and lower middle class who can't afford better.

That perhaps was the story of Brookside itself. The houses were new at the time but the characters were often working class who had moved up the social ladder just a little.