Options

What did Michael McIntyre say to Alex Jones on the One Show?

Comments

• Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds similar to the behaviour of Kayvan Novak on the Paul O'Grady show the other week. It's just basic manners to keep quiet when another guest is being interviewed.

If you're going to have a comedian on a chat show, the last thing you'd expect them to do is keep quiet. What's the point otherwise?
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,678
    Forum Member
    Sounds worth a watch, so I skipped through it on iplayer. I couldn't find anything special but maybe I missed it.

What part of the programme are we talking about?
    Just watched it on IPlayer, was definitely a slightly off atmosphere, but nothing huge.

I agree that he almost, or sort of used the F bomb, as described just before the 21.00 minute mark, was not aimed at the presenters though, was aimed at his discomfort in the chair.
    I do think the bit where he said he felt he was being patronised was half serious, I think he could see the show wasn't going too well, but I don't think he was That serious, if that makes any sense.
    I can see a couple of issues why there was an odd atmosphere from the start of the show.

1.-Very odd start to the show, with Michael walking on to almost silence, as the audience were holding "teeth placards", so couldn't clap (was made a point of). I can deffo understand McIntyre being put off by this, as applause and laughter is what a comedian craves. Was strange seeing him walking on to about two people clapping.

2.- Then they had a very serious / sad story about migrants turning up on Kos beach...and then were straight to "funnyman" McIntyre... Blimey, don't know how anyone could have been jolly after that, was daft scheduling within the show.

I am not a particular fan of McIntyre, nor of Stewart Lee, both are reasonably amusing / unamusing to me in almost equal measure. (much prefer Herring, the guys a trier ;) ), best comic for me is Doug Stanhope.

I am glad to say he didn't do a "Multiple Miggs" :)

I was intrigued so watched skipping to bits with him and it was hardly that big a deal.
    I am not a fan of his comedy albeit he is good at what he does. He is quite annoying on
    chat shows with his somewhat hyper attention seeking style but they surely know what
    to expect.

It did sound like he said f*cking but it was mumbled so easy to miss or could have been
    something similar but not actually that. I think the tension stemmed from the fact that he
    wouldn't shut up which is always tricky on this show as they are always jumping from
    item to item under tight time constraints. Both presenters certainly seemed to be getting
    annoyed by him but overall not a big deal.

BIB I saw Richard Herring a few years ago doing one of his stand up shows and he was
    absolutely amazing. If you want comedy with depth that is also hilarious he is one of the best.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but the poster claiming he was rude explained what he was supposed to have done and it didn't sound rude at all to me.

I don't know about you but I was raised not to talk over someone when they're already engaged in mid conversation to somebody, ie butting-in without excusing yourself.
    That's bad manners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL - just caught this thread & I see as usual Dalekwotsit is still being a total dilussional idiot over the dick head, McIntyre. The ridiculous comments from him (Dalekwotsit) gave me a giggle even if up his own backside McTiring's didnt
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it on IPlayer, was definitely a slightly off atmosphere, but nothing huge.

I agree that he almost, or sort of used the F bomb, as described just before the 21.00 minute mark, was not aimed at the presenters though, was aimed at his discomfort in the chair.
    I do think the bit where he said he felt he was being patronised was half serious, I think he could see the show wasn't going too well, but I don't think he was That serious, if that makes any sense.
    I can see a couple of issues why there was an odd atmosphere from the start of the show.

1.-Very odd start to the show, with Michael walking on to almost silence, as the audience were holding "teeth placards", so couldn't clap (was made a point of). I can deffo understand McIntyre being put off by this, as applause and laughter is what a comedian craves. Was strange seeing him walking on to about two people clapping.

2.- Then they had a very serious / sad story about migrants turning up on Kos beach...and then were straight to "funnyman" McIntyre... Blimey, don't know how anyone could have been jolly after that, was daft scheduling within the show.

I am not a particular fan of McIntyre, nor of Stewart Lee, both are reasonably amusing / unamusing to me in almost equal measure. (much prefer Herring, the guys a trier ;) ), best comic for me is Doug Stanhope.

I am glad to say he didn't do a "Multiple Miggs" :)

You were very accurate in your review. McIntyre is not the ideal chat show guest, but he is good value usually. The hosts do the best of a bad job, they can be patronizing, also they panic if someone goes off script or runs over time. When McIntyre went into full flow - Matt tapped him to explain the Dentist was going to talk about his show - when in fact the dentist was joking himself about wisdom tooth removal and using a whiteness measurer. Alex then did another patronizing remark - suggesting McIntyre would remain quiet..

It was certainly not their most awkward interview, what they both need to do is research their guests better - they have about 15 minutes on air (removing the VT inserts) so they ought be bang on every time. Alex & Matt don't really have a personality for tv, so give them someone outgoing - they will struggle every time.
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not much of a fan of Stewart Lee, but as he once campaigned for in a show - context.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but the poster claiming he was rude explained what he was supposed to have done and it didn't sound rude at all to me.

But you didn't think he was rude before anyone even said what was done or said. No matter what was said or not said your mindset was he was not rude.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're going to have a comedian on a chat show, the last thing you'd expect them to do is keep quiet. What's the point otherwise?

Serious question. Are you a grown man ?

Just wondering.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is a difference between keeping quiet and being respectful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    But you didn't think he was rude before anyone even said what was done or said. No matter what was said or not said your mindset was he was not rude.

There could be footage of McIntyre spitting in Alex Jones' face yesterday and Dalekbuster would still say "well that doesnt sound like the sort of thing that he would do".

" But the footage of him spitting in her face was aired on tv to millions ? Did you see it ?"

Dalekbuster - "No I did'nt see it myself, but that does'nt sound like the sort of think Michael McIntyre would do, therefore it did'nt happen. Your all jelous".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about you but I was raised not to talk over someone when they're already engaged in mid conversation to somebody, ie butting-in without excusing yourself.
    That's bad manners.

But there's no point getting a comedian on a chat show if he is expected not to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not much of a fan of Stewart Lee, but as he once campaigned for in a show - context.

He may have been in character but why say it in the first place?

It's a bit of a lame excuse IMO and his opinion that McIntyre spoke as if he was 'the mayor' reeks of jealousy in my opinion.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it probably hasn't done The One Show any harm. I rarely watch it, but I'm going to have to take a look on iplayer just to see what people are talking about.
    As it goes, I used to quite like Michael McIntyre when he first appeared on the scene, but he does seem to have gone a bit stale recently. They say comedians are generally the most insecure people in show business, comedy is tough and they're only as good as their last appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not biased by the hatred that some seem to share for Michael McIntyre.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    You were very accurate in your review. McIntyre is not the ideal chat show guest, but he is good value usually. The hosts do the best of a bad job, they can be patronizing, also they panic if someone goes off script or runs over time. When McIntyre went into full flow - Matt tapped him to explain the Dentist was going to talk about his show - when in fact the dentist was joking himself about wisdom tooth removal and using a whiteness measurer. Alex then did another patronizing remark - suggesting McIntyre would remain quiet..

It was certainly not their most awkward interview, what they both need to do is research their guests better - they have about 15 minutes on air (removing the VT inserts) so they ought be bang on every time. Alex & Matt don't really have a personality for tv, so give them someone outgoing - they will struggle every time.

I would have thought they would have discussed the dentist sequence earlier so it would not have been unexpected. He must have agreed to take part in it but then tried to divert the piece to being about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Serious question. Are you a grown man ?

Just wondering.

I'm 19, so yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't hire a comedian to just sit and do how he's told. That would be boring. Michael McIntyre wasn't being rude, he was just doing his job.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are plenty of real comedians who appear on chat shows and can behave well whilst promoting whatever they are there for and making the audience laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There are plenty of real comedians who appear on chat shows and can behave well whilst promoting whatever they are there for and making the audience laugh.

Doesn't bode well for their comedy career, then. Unless it's someone like Stephen Fry, Frank Skinner or Bill Bailey, who are going down the 'intelligent' mature humour route.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting concept for guests to appear on a chat show, whilst at the same time doing their day job. I'm expecting Greg Rutherford next week, along with his sand-pit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    It's an interesting concept for guests to appear on a chat show, whilst at the same time doing their day job. I'm expecting Greg Rutherford next week, along with his sand-pit.

Yes, and Tom Jones is going to sing his answers to Grahams questions next time he is on.

Maybe Jamie Oliver could bring a little camping stove and place it in front of him and rustle something up as he is being interviewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 19, so yes.

Well that explains a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may have been in character but why say it in the first place?

It's a bit of a lame excuse IMO and his opinion that McIntyre spoke as if he was 'the mayor' reeks of jealousy in my opinion.

You seem to have an obsession with "jealousy". You are fixated with McIntyres wealth, his "talent" (lol) his dvd sales, how many gigs he sells out.

It would appear that you my friend are the one who is jealous of him. Why are you so obsessed ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Well that explains a lot.

Beat me to it :)
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then he randomly appeared on the Royal Variety.

No-one just randomly APPEARS on the Royal Variety show without at least some pretty significant media connections or at least middling success, so the idea this entitled, millionaire born to a wealthy, media connected family is somehow a triumphant figurehead and example of the hard-done-by working man trying to break into comedy is a little laughable frankly.

But then I'm just jealous of his success... what would I know...