Options

New build PC hangs for seconds

KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, I recently built my own computer. When playing games like Football Manager with the radio playing once every first hour the computer turns on it will freeze. The computer freezes upwards for 30 seconds then recovers.

When I say freeze nothing is responsive - not the mouse, keyboard. The computer makes a weird buzzing noise coming from my TV which I use as a monitor (coming from TV speakers).

I've uninstalled drivers and reinstalled the latest. I am honestly lost here.

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had a look in the event viewer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there is nothing there at all. It happened today, and the previous two days and on all three occasions Event Viewer is not picking up any errors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://vimeo.com/129824956

This is the sound the machine makes when it freezes for 40 seconds. It always lasts the same amount of time...
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tv speakers?

https://www.devside.net/blog/lcd-making-a-buzzing-noise

scroll down and look at the replies some of them might help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply but it isn't an issue with the TV. The noise is made when the computer freezes.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but it isn't an issue with the TV. The noise is made when the computer freezes.

sorry i meant to say the buzzing sound from the pc was coming through the tv speakers..

a couple of them you might want to consider..

if you scroll down to the comment of the 27th may 2013 can you check if that post applies to you?

does your monitor or pc have internal speakers?

the person discovered they had internal speakers and the volume was set at 85.

by reducing the volume to zero they eliminated the buzzing noise..

like you the sound from the pc was fed through their tv speakers or through a pair of headphones..

there are also posts about adjusting the refresh rate for the monltor helping to eliminate buzzing noises..
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess it's the sound card drivers. Is the sound chipset on the motherboard?
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its unlikely to be using the sound card drivers if its hdmi to the tv - it will be using either ATI or nvidia audio drivers that are part of the graphics card.

Try uninstalling the video drivers and re-installing, or even uninstalling/re-installing without the graphics card audio drivers selected. (you may need to do a custom install to see these options)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it only happens under load then? might be worth installing some cpu/gpu monitoring software as it may just need some extra cooling or one of the fans isn't pulling its weight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    its unlikely to be using the sound card drivers if its hdmi to the tv - it will be using either ATI or nvidia audio drivers that are part of the graphics card.

Try uninstalling the video drivers and re-installing, or even uninstalling/re-installing without the graphics card audio drivers selected. (you may need to do a custom install to see these options)
    I had a laptop that would freeze playing a game. Like the OP, this was accompanied by odd sounds. I got the sound drivers from a different source and it fixed it. Just saying.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    I sometimes get the same thing when a game crashes & freezes the whole PC, the sound continues playing normally for some seconds then does the same thing in your video. Only a reboot sorts it out.

You might be getting it if you are playing a game with sound & also have internet radio playing at the same time. Do you have onboard sound or a dedicated sound card?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    So it only happens under load then? might be worth installing some cpu/gpu monitoring software as it may just need some extra cooling or one of the fans isn't pulling its weight

The games are running under load at less than 40oc so it isn't down to cooling.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics card driver, but it happened as soon as I started a game up.

I've left it into my cousins computer shop to have a look and he's been trying to fix it since 9:30am this morning. I will try that custom install as well.
    I sometimes get the same thing when a game crashes & freezes the whole PC, the sound continues playing normally for some seconds then does the same thing in your video. Only a reboot sorts it out.

You might be getting it if you are playing a game with sound & also have internet radio playing at the same time. Do you have onboard sound or a dedicated sound card?

I didn't purchase a sound card, just a graphics card with NVIDIA audio and a HDMI lead. Should I perhaps purchase a sound card?

Also I had the sound for the game turned off. It still occurs. Thanks everyone btw.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Try and narrow things down a bit, as these kinds of issues can be rather time consuming to troubleshoot.

Does it only happen with games and when listening to the radio? What happens if you play the games without the radio?

If possible, connect the TV using VGA instead of HDMI and plug in standard speakers or headphones and see if the same thing occurs.

Using tools like the Sysinternals Process Monitor and Process Explorer can help highlight any relevant activity prior/during/after the freezing:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb795533
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you max will try that. It happens also when I'm just playing games as well.

Will also try a vga cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try a slightly older driver version for the graphics card, sometimes they muck things up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't purchase a sound card, just a graphics card with NVIDIA audio and a HDMI lead. Should I perhaps purchase a sound card?

Also I had the sound for the game turned off. It still occurs. Thanks everyone btw.

Most motherboards come with a built in HD audio chip, sounds like it could be down to the nvidia audio driver that gets installed when you install the nvidia graphics drivers. You shouldn't need to get a dedicated sound card but I find they have better sound quality than the built in audio.

Try this to see if it helps, right click the speaker icon in the system tray & click playback devices. You will see various items in the list. Look for one that says Realtek or VIA audio down near the bottom of the list that has speakers in bold & click it once & then set it to default (make a note of what the default one is before you change it, default one will have a green tick on it) That might help stop the issue, if not you can always set it back to the one it was before you changed it.

That will stop the audio through HDMI to narrow it down to see if that or the Nvidia HDMI audio driver is the culprit.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    Most motherboards come with a built in HD audio chip, sounds like it could be down to the nvidia audio driver that gets installed when you install the nvidia graphics drivers. You shouldn't need to get a dedicated sound card but I find they have better sound quality than the built in audio.

Try this to see if it helps, right click the speaker icon in the system tray & click playback devices. You will see various items in the list. Look for one that says Realtek or VIA audio down near the bottom of the list that has speakers in bold & click it once & then set it to default (make a note of what the default one is before you change it, default one will have a green tick on it) That might help stop the issue, if not you can always set it back to the one it was before you changed it.

That will stop the audio through HDMI to narrow it down to see if that or the Nvidia HDMI audio driver is the culprit.
    Not necessarily.

It depends on whether the application in question simply uses the Windows default sound device or allows the user to select a specific device. If the latter then the default setting is irrelevant.

I have also known Windows change the sound device setting all by itself when it detects an HDMI connection. So Windows chooses the HDMI automatically without any intervention by the user.

This certainly happens on my laptop when I plug an HDMI lead in even though the built in soundcard is set as default device. The internal speakers mute and all sound comes from the TV on the other end of the lead. If I want to use the laptop speakers I have to change the setting manually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was just a suggestion to try & help the person narrow down the cause, my monitor is connected by HDMI but I turned HDMI audio off in the monitor & set the default sound device to my Xonar DG 5.1 sound card. AFAIK everything uses that since I did that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    It was just a suggestion to try & help the person narrow down the cause, my monitor is connected by HDMI but I turned HDMI audio off in the monitor & set the default sound device to my Xonar DG 5.1 sound card. AFAIK everything uses that since I did that.
    That may be the reason why.

When two devices connect over HDMI they communicate with each other to determine their capabilities. Therefore if you turn off audio on the monitor the PC won't see the monitor as an audio capable device.

Not sure it would be that easy to disable audio over HDMI on a TV however.

Mind you even if the OPs PC did auto switch to HDMI there should be no reason why he could not manually switch away to use the built in sound of the PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disabled NVIDIA audio driver and there were no hangs yesterday apart from one before I disabled it.

It has just happened now and the following has shown up in Event Viewer:

Activation context generation failed for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DixXControlPanelApplet.cpl
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195"

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DivXControlPanelApplet.cpl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can find nothing on DixXControlPanelApplet.cpl on Google but in your quote it says DivXControlPanelApplet.cpl which usually comes with the DivX video software. If you don't really use it you can always uninstall it. I just use the Klite codec pack standard & that includes all the codecs I need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uninstalled it and its still hanging. I ran Prime 95 for several hours and there were no errors.

Could it really be down to the HDMI lead rather than using a DVI lead? I find that hard to believe, but somebody told me to check that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It possibly could be but I wouldn't think that it is, normally when a system hangs like that it is either hardware or driver related. DO you have all the latest drivers for all your hardware ie chipset, sound etc? Does your graphics card have more than one HDMI port & you have tried it with both?

If it was me I would back up the windows install with macrium reflect free & then do a completely fresh install of the OS. I know windows 8.1 has a lot of drivers by default (ie I don't need to install motherboard drivers, only graphics & sound drivers)

I would check that all your hardware is secure on the motherboard, remove & insert memory, graphics & sound cards if you have them & check all connections & cables.

Reinstall the OS, drivers & update DirectX & try to see if it still does it, you can always restore the macrium reflect free backup to get all your data back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uninstalled it and its still hanging. I ran Prime 95 for several hours and there were no errors.

Could it really be down to the HDMI lead rather than using a DVI lead? I find that hard to believe, but somebody told me to check that.

HDMI and DVI are completely compatible with each other. The only difference really is that HDMI usually has audio data along with the video and DVI does not. And of course the physical plugs and sockets are different but electrically they are pretty much the same. Hence why a simple bit of wire can convert DVD to HDMI or vice versa.

So I can't see any logical reason why a DVI lead would work any better than a HDMI lead other than the fact that the DVI might not have any audio data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned in post #8, it is likely the audio drivers.

On a previous PC of mine, the audio driver associated with the HDMI was just 'HD audio' which is a generic driver. If you can get hold of the driver for the specific audio chipset it might improve things.