Options

HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't tend to go for overreactions but I really don't want to watch this anymore after this. It doesn't fit with Stannis's characterisation at all. His whole motivation was that he wanted his daughter, his only heir, to become queen. What was the point of the character development between Stannis and Shireen if they were just going to do this?
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Psychosis wrote: »
    His whole motivation was that he wanted his daughter, his only heir, to become queen.

You honestly believed that? People with a lust for power tell lies like that, to themselves most of all.
    What was the point of the character development between Stannis and Shireen if they were just going to do this?

That WAS the point. Setting us up for this. It shows just how far Stannis will go to achieve his goal. If he didn't have much affection for his daughter, it wouldn't have been much of a sacrifice.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have to laugh at the outrage people try to build up weekly. Wasn't there incest and attempted child murder in the first episode?!
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I was expecting Drogon to be bigger, a lot bigger. He didn't seem to be much larger than the other two still locked away underground. I know they're following the books with this, but it was awfully nice of Danny to fly away and leave her friends in peril.

As per Shireen, do we actually know she's properly gone? Any chance of her returning as some demigod or something? This is Thrones, the obvious doesn't always seem to stick. Least the mother grew a conscience. I hope that red woman burns at some point though, cause she's an evil, manipulative bitch that needs to go. :p

Be interesting to see how they can top last weeks episode for the final though, cause that scene (walkers at the end) tops anything we've seen thus far. I'm still amazed that there's only a single giant above the wall; where's the rest of them? Further to that, Jon Snow used Stannis' fleet to obtain the Wildlings, and then they dropped him off north of the wall? Why not just sail further south? Where are the rest of the Wildlings too? What he rescued can't have been all of them (one lone giant is a prime example).
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Shireen Stark of episode 9
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I hope that red woman burns at some point though, cause she's an evil, manipulative bitch that needs to go.

Burning's too good for her, she might even enjoy it. I'd prefer her to be flayed alive by the Boltons. They can do Stannis as well.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mannis Fan Club has been officially disbanded.

It would've seemed less incongruous if we'd got more of a sense that the father that wouldn't give up on his child is gone and has been consumed by what he sees as his right to be king and his destiny to 'save the realm' from the white walkers, but they really seem to be running through things quickly now. It doesn't really follow from what we've seen from Stannis and his feelings towards Shireen, but I suppose as these things go it doesn't require nearly as many leaps of logic as Sansa being at Winterfell.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting Drogon to be bigger, a lot bigger. He didn't seem to be much larger than the other two still locked away underground. I know they're following the books with this, but it was awfully nice of Danny to fly away and leave her friends in peril.

As per Shireen, do we actually know she's properly gone? Any chance of her returning as some demigod or something? This is Thrones, the obvious doesn't always seem to stick. Least the mother grew a conscience. I hope that red woman burns at some point though, cause she's an evil, manipulative bitch that needs to go. :p

Be interesting to see how they can top last weeks episode for the final though, cause that scene (walkers at the end) tops anything we've seen thus far. I'm still amazed that there's only a single giant above the wall; where's the rest of them? Further to that, Jon Snow used Stannis' fleet to obtain the Wildlings, and then they dropped him off north of the wall? Why not just sail further south? Where are the rest of the Wildlings too? What he rescued can't have been all of them (one lone giant is a prime example).

2 giants got killed, Mag the Mighty and Dongo. Think Wun Wun might be the only one left?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mannis Fan Club has been officially disbanded.

It would've seemed less incongruous if we'd got more of a sense that the father that wouldn't give up on his child is gone and has been consumed by what he sees as his right to be king and his destiny to 'save the realm' from the white walkers, but they really seem to be running through things quickly now. It doesn't really follow from what we've seen from Stannis and his feelings towards Shireen, but I suppose as these things go it doesn't require nearly as many leaps of logic as Sansa being at Winterfell.

On the plus side we might see Melisandre's boobs out. Silver lining and that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I don't tend to go for overreactions but I really don't want to watch this anymore after this. It doesn't fit with Stannis's characterisation at all. His whole motivation was that he wanted his daughter, his only heir, to become queen. What was the point of the character development between Stannis and Shireen if they were just going to do this?

Someone posted on twitter:

https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/607723663975014400/photo/1

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Hizdar mo whatshisface by the way. Dad who wasn't a slaver gets crucified, forced into a marriage with his killer, not the leader of the Sons of the Harpy, dies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2 giants got killed, Mag the Mighty and Dongo. Think Wun Wun might be the only one left?
    So you're saying there were only ever three giants north of the wall? I find that unlikely. I swear we've seen more, though not by name. These giants must have female counterparts for starters, and we've not seen any of them.

Giants aside though, those that Jon brought back with him (still north of the wall when they could have sailed south of it) weren't that many by the numbers we're led to believe exists north of the wall.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but as dreadful as Stannis' actions were I'm still not going to want Dany to end up as Queen of Westeros which is what I feel the books and tv series are pushing us towards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Sorry but as dreadful as Stannis' actions were I'm still not going to want Dany to end up as Queen of Westeros which is what I feel the books and tv series are pushing us towards
    I don't think Stannis will be the one on the Throne at the end though, no way. We can pretty much guarantee that Davos is going to begrudge him now, and Davos is (and has been) the one to steady Stannis; without him, I don't think Stannis' crusade will last much longer. Wouldn't surprise me either if either Davos, or Stannis himself get rid of Mel.

Danny getting the Throne seems all too obvious, and there's always more to the obvious with this show, especially now that it's parting somewhat from the books. I wouldn't be half surprised if someone else doesn't somehow end up on the Throne (for good or evil). It might even be that Danny joins someone on the Throne, but she wont claim it solely herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Go for team white walker - keep themselves to themselves, mostly, great with kids, generous granters of eternal life... what's not to like?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode again.

GoT channelling its inner Neverending Story!!

We knew the Shireen scene was coming, but it was still awful to watch. The mother developing a sudden conscience was done to reflect even more badly on Stannis. If even the mother, who's effed up, wanted to stop it, then Stannis really has crossed over to the dark side.

I can see the sacrifice having no effect, and Stannis' men (Davos) turning on him.

I also really liked the (non)resolution of Jon's journey. That could so easily have been a tedious stand-off, so leftfooting the audiencce like that was refreshing.
  • Options
    treasurehuntertreasurehunter Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    If Stannis had left for Winterfell in episode 1 or 2, this would never have happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you're saying there were only ever three giants north of the wall? I find that unlikely. I swear we've seen more, though not by name. These giants must have female counterparts for starters, and we've not seen any of them.

Giants aside though, those that Jon brought back with him (still north of the wall when they could have sailed south of it) weren't that many by the numbers we're led to believe exists north of the wall.

I did wonder where the females were, there must be more of them kicking about, a few hundred? Might be too expensive for CGI or they come in later in the story or as backup to an army.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dragon's back did look rather pointy... hope she didn't do herself a mischief. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    The dragon's back did look rather pointy... hope she didn't do herself a mischief. :o

I immediately thought of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPxTwqzr1sw
  • Options
    TracyTracy Posts: 6,229
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else think when Stannis said butcher the dead horses to feed the troops.

Think well they are ready cooked.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody say the words "f**k Stannis"?

And there I was worrying that Ramsay would kill him and end up murdering Shireen too, and then Stannis goes ahead and does the latter himself. :(

I never thought he'd quite go through with it. I thought he'd give her a last minute reprieve and then Melisandre would abandon him and he'd die at the hands of the Boltons.

Well, I guess that's the thing about Game of Thrones. They can have you supporting one faction's efforts for an entire season, and then flip the script in the final couple of episodes by having them do something dastardly. Now, I couldn't care less if the Boltons kill Stannis, as long as somebody comes and cleans house at Winterfell once he's gone (oh no, don't tell me I might actually be rooting for Littlefinger to sack Winterfell next season :o:(:blush:;-))

Oh, and, please God can Drogon's fire-breathing demonstration in the coliseum be the end of all that Sons of the Harpy sh*t. Time for Daenerys to get out of Meereen and stretch her legs a bit.

And hopefully with Jaime, Myrcella, Bronn and Trystane on their way back to King's Landing, the disappointing Dorne adventure is over too. It could've been done well. It wasn't. So let's just move on, please. :cool:
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    RIP the Stannis "The Mannis" of the House Baratheon Fan Club.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see Drogon use Melisandre as a suppository.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    RIP the Stannis "The Mannis" of the House Baratheon Fan Club.

Maybe we should have a mass burning of our badges and monthly fanzines?