Options

UKIP banned from Gay Pride march by LGBT

Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
Forum Member
✭✭
LGBT activists and organisers of Londons Gay Pride march have banned UKIP from taking part........on 'safety grounds'.

This is despite UKIP's strong lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) members' wing – and the fact that David Coburn, their only Scottish MEP, is homosexual.

Parade bosses said the decision was made to reject Ukip's application "in order to protect participants and ensure the event passes off safely and in the right spirit".

Gay Pride organisers have welcomed Tory party members to join them, as well as the Catholic church.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-banned-gay-pride-march-5833285

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is of course their event but it sort of goes against this

"We appreciate many in our community have strongly held views about Ukip, their policies and comments, but it is undeniable that there are LGBT members of Ukip, including their MEP for Scotland, and it is important to remember that Pride in London aims to be an inclusive event."

All inclusive yet they exclude a party whilst having other political parties who I am sure their members also have strong views about and the Catholic Church, it does seem a rather selective inclusive event.

To my mind UKIP is hardly akin to the BNP , NF or EDL.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems rather intolerant.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    LGBT activists and organisers of Londons Gay Pride march have banned UKIP from taking part........on 'safety grounds'.

This is despite UKIP's strong lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) members' wing – and the fact that David Coburn, their only Scottish MEP, is homosexual.

Parade bosses said the decision was made to reject Ukip's application "in order to protect participants and ensure the event passes off safely and in the right spirit".

Gay Pride organisers have welcomed Tory party members to join them, as well as the Catholic church.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-banned-gay-pride-march-5833285

Fair enough.

Their parade, their rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It is of course their event but it sort of goes against this

"We appreciate many in our community have strongly held views about Ukip, their policies and comments, but it is undeniable that there are LGBT members of Ukip, including their MEP for Scotland, and it is important to remember that Pride in London aims to be an inclusive event."

All inclusive yet they exclude a party whilst having other political parties who I am sure their parties also have strong views about and the Catholic Church, it does seem a rather selective inclusive event.

To my mind UKIP is hardly akin to the BNP , NF or EDL.
    That's what intrigues me. How can you expect to gain acceptance when you reject or ban people for what in reality amounts to their political beliefs?

Seems very counterproductive to me.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what intrigues me. How can you expect to gain acceptance when you reject or ban people for what in reality amounts to their political beliefs? Seems very counter productive to me.

I detest UKIP but I have to agree with you here. I thought Pride marches were all about getting the message out that being LGBT is nothing to be ashamed of but by banning anyone it makes it seem like a community that doesn't want to teach and change things as much as they claim.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the participants would kick up a fuss if people were intolerant towards them and banned them from attending an event because of their sexual persuasion but banning someone because of their political persuasion is OK. :(

Hypocritical. :(
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am anti-UKIP but this comes across as a very weak decision, for reasons outlined by others above. Simply giving in to those that shout loudest.

Hope it is given further thought and is reversed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I detest UKIP but I have to agree with you here. I thought Pride marches were all about getting the message out that being LGBT is nothing to be ashamed of but by banning anyone it makes it seem like a community that doesn't want to teach and change things as much as they claim.
    It's certainly guaranteed to turn public opinion against them. People will begin to see the LGBT community in a very different light now.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    It's certainly guaranteed to turn public opinion against them. People will begin to see the LGBT community in a very different light now.

I doubt it. Not given the well publicised crap UKIP members have come out with in the past about gay people etc. I don't think this is the best thing for them to do, but I can u derstand them being a bit reticent about UKIP being particularly LGBT friendly, gay members or not.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

I don't see why. There is a long thread on Politics on this and, has been made clear, the decision has been made because of the risk of protests from other marchers (and outside groups who dislike UKIP).

Many LGBT people, including me, actually disagree with the decision, despite understanding the difficult choice that was made and why safety of the marchers (including UKIP people) and the volunteer stewards was a compelling argument.

If anyone thinks that London Pride Committee is representative of the views of all LGBT people then I guess they might think less of the entire community - however they would be a bit dim to do so... much as it would be a bit dim to think that all UKIP members were homophobic because some of them have made homophobic comments.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,612
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    I'm sure the participants would kick up a fuss if people were intolerant towards them and banned them from attending an event because of their sexual persuasion but banning someone because of their political persuasion is OK. :(

Hypocritical. :(

Not if the reason is genuinely about public safety.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't go that far. It's one march, and I can imagine there are enough LGBT who will disagree with banning anyone or anything for it not to become commoplace.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member

Nah, not a chance... soz Bullet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    I don't see why. There is a long thread on Politics on this and, has been made clear, the decision has been made because of the risk of protests from other marchers (and outside groups who dislike UKIP).

Many LGBT people, including me, actually disagree with the decision, despite understanding the difficult choice that was made and why safety of the marchers (including UKIP people) and the volunteer stewards was a compelling argument.

If anyone thinks that London Pride Committee is representative of the views of all LGBT people then I guess they might think less of the entire community - however they would be a bit dim to do so... much as it would be a bit dim to think that all UKIP members were homophobic because some of them have made homophobic comments.
    I would see it pretty much the same way if UKIP banned any gay people from joining their party...which of course they can't, don't and have not. If they did though, i would be questioning 'why'....what is it they have to fear?

The excuse of 'public safety' isn't really a very good one at all. We may as well apply that to all marches! You only have to look at the student protests and more recent protest march against the Tories being re-elected to see that.

I suppose much depends on how you wish to get your message across to the wider non LGBT public at large....by making it an "inclusive event" (their words) which turns out to be selectively inclusive.

As i said, by banning a single political party is certainly counterproductive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would see it pretty much the same way if UKIP banned any gay people from joining their party...which of course they can't, don't and have not. If they did though, i would be questioning 'why'....what is it they have to fear?

The excuse of 'public safety' isn't really a very good one at all. We may as well apply that to all marches! You only have to look at the student protests and more recent protest march against the Tories being re-elected to see that.

I suppose much depends on how you wish to get your message across to the wider non LGBT public at large....by making it an "inclusive event" (their words) which turns out to be selectively inclusive.

As i said, by banning a single political party is certainly counterproductive.

It's just one Pride march and one Pride committee, and I really don't think this one incident will do the gay community as a whole much harm.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know you'd really love that to happen, and I hate to be the one to bust your bubble, but no they won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's just one Pride march and one Pride committee, and I really don't think this one incident will do the gay community as a whole much harm.
    Perhaps they'd have been better off making it clear that it's not really inclusive but exclusive instead then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they'd have been better off making it clear that it's not really inclusive but exclusive instead then?

I think UKIP are thinking they're special and want special treatment because of their specialness.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I hardly think that would help. It seems they are doing their best to make it inclusive under very difficult circumstances.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think UKIP are thinking they're special and want special treatment because of their specialness.

I quite like the irony of the kippers not being allowed in. Other than that, must be a slow news day.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only by idiots who think a group of parade organisers represent the millions of LGBT community.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes you think that? :confused:
    jjwales wrote: »
    I hardly think that would help. It seems they are doing their best to make it inclusive under very difficult circumstances.
    Public safety isn't their remit though. Had they said the Police had advised them to exclude members of UKIP due to issues of public safety, that might have been different....if not 'interesting'!

But to my knowledge they haven't.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    That's what intrigues me. How can you expect to gain acceptance when you reject or ban people for what in reality amounts to their political beliefs?

Seems very counterproductive to me.

"political beliefs"? So a beliefs - something that is just thought. - like religion.

That's something very different to BEING gay. That's not a belief or something just thought.

It really offends me when belief systems are made out to in some way be the same and as valid as something a person actually is: gay, a given race or disabled for example.

If someone has problems by what they think, that is their problem. Change it or not but don't think you come into the same category as someone who is a certain thing as they get no say or choice in the matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes you think that? :confused:

Public safety isn't their remit though. Had they said the Police had advised them to exclude members of UKIP due to issues of public safety, that might have been different....if not 'interesting'!

But to my knowledge they haven't.

Why don't the UKIP lot just go and join another parade?

I know if I wasn't allowed to join a parade I wouldn't go all drama queen about it, I'd just move on and look for another parade.

Or is this, as I suspect, more a case of mischief making and pot stirring.....yet again.

Just because you want to join a parade doesn't give you "a right" to force the organisers to let you join. If the organisers do not wish to let them join them, then you cannot go running off bleating about not being included!!

A bunch of drama queens, that UKIP lot, the lot of 'em!
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we've been discussing it in Politics. There aren't many who think it is a good idea.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2079433