Options

EE Should they recast Peter

Comments

• Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is to say Ben won't return? Yes ok he has a part in a big blockbuster, but I wouldn't assume that's the start of a fairytale hollywood career just yet. He could quite easily be back in 5 years.
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and when it comes to younger cast members, why can't they tie them in like the US ties actors in? surely they could offer someone a 5 year contract with the option to write them out of the show should the actor not work out.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 33,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel the Bobby story really needs him as does the Lauryn return to make it even slightly believable, and to spice it up evil Steven could make a return too :o
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter could get another Recast im sure
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In order to make Lauren's return credible should they recast the Peter Beale role as Ben is not going to return ever?

you sure about that?? We'll see how his Hollywood career goes. x men is a biggie, no doubt, but I'm not convinced he has a lot of range so his future after xmen isn't set in stone.

Of the 2 recent departees I'd put my money on Sam Strike having a more longstanding career in film outside of EE.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Thomas Law not interested in a return in 2013, when they brought back Peter, with a new head? Unlike Melissa Suffield, he wasn't axed in 2010, he quit on his own terms.
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 33,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    [/B]
    you sure about that?? We'll see how his Hollywood career goes. x men is a biggie, no doubt, but I'm not convinced he has a lot of range so his future after xmen isn't set in stone.

Of the 2 recent departees I'd put my money on Sam Strike having a more longstanding career in film outside of EE.

I was sure that Ben himself had ruled out a return in order to give the producers permission to re-cast should they wish
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Peter should be recast. With Kathy back in the picture it makes sense to have as many of Ian's children around as possible.

I'd happily see Thomas Law back, but I'm not fussed if they go with somebody new.
  • Options
    demented yoyodemented yoyo Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't bring back Peter Lauren will be added to the list of single females saddled with a pointless child. Unless they have a miscarriage off camera.

Since we heard that Ben had been cast in xmen I thought we'd see Lauren coming back on her own, it never even crossed my mind they'd re-cast Peter. I always imagined her coming back alone and telling people they'd split up after losing the baby either through miscarriage or still birth :blush:

They've done cot death a couple of times but has EastEnders ever covered miscarriage or still birth :confused:
  • Options
    swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    If they don't bring back Peter Lauren will be added to the list of single females saddled with a pointless child. Unless they have a miscarriage off camera.

All children in soaps are pretty much pointless.
  • Options
    idgwiatidgwiat Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Thomas Law will reprise the Peter role because of the Sam Mitchell trap, with Danniella Westbrook being out shone by Kim Medcalf.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for a few years. Having a 30 something come back to muscle out his ageing father and take control of his businesses, might be something worth revisiting.
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    machobob wrote: »
    You know, I'd be very happy with Tom Law making a return. He's a decent actor and BLOODY GORGEOUS. Oh, sorry. Just slipped out.
    Understandable :blush:
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,400
    Forum Member
    If one of the previous actors that played Ben doesn't want the job then yes the part should be given to another actor when the time is right to bring him back. In real life not enough time would have passed for Peter to get over the shock over what Bobby did and come to terms with it properly.

In general, no actor should ever be allowed to hold a programme/film to "ransom" by leaving and not wanting to return to play the part. If necessary, recasts should always be done. I'd prefer that than let a character die off too which is what they sometimes do in films/TV programmes. Its what happened in the Back to the Furue films. They killed off George Mcfly in part 2 because the actor either did not want to come back and play him or there was other issues going on. I can't fully remember now but its on the extras commentary in the DVD special of the films.
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe in 4-5 years or so. Peter was a boring character anyway, no real loss or gain if he comes back or not.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring Thomas Law back:

- he played the role of Peter for over 6 years and therefore will have chemistry with existing characters plus he can relate to the Lucy drama.
    - he's a very capable actor.
    - he is pretty much the "original" Peter Beale.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idgwiat wrote: »
    I don't think Thomas Law will reprise the Peter role because of the Sam Mitchell trap, with Danniella Westbrook being out shone by Kim Medcalf.

Completely different scenarios. I love DW but she was out of the acting game for a decade before she returned and was rusty whereas KM completely made the role her own. She was a fantastic actress. TL is a very good actor and BH hasn't reinvented or even revitalised the role of Peter in the same way KM did for Sam. BH was very wooden at times whereas TL was very natural in the role of Ian's son and Lucy's sensible twin brother.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,409
    Forum Member
    Much as i really liked Ben Hardy in the role I think it is inevitable. He is too important a character to lose long term and if Hardy won't come back (and it seems he won't) then recast he must be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas Law,s Peter had a very lacklustre storyline. Which as far as I can remember being pushed to excel at a sport, Being saved from drowning by Phil on the camping trip and telling Jane a home truth over something and her being taken aback. Melissa,s Lucy had far more and bigger storylines.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they should, I think it'd be unsatisfying story-wise to have Lauren return alone especially given they're having a child together. I'd be very up for a new Peter, but if they can get Thomas Law back that'd be brilliant. I recently saw him on stage in Beautiful Thing, he was extraordinarily good. Such a talented actor, they'd be crazy not to at least try to get him back.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,409
    Forum Member
    To be honest I don't think it is usually actors holding shows to ransom by wanting to leave for a While and expecting the rold not to be recast as Producers being worried that a recast wonkt be accepted and as evidence, look at all the "such and such character is iconic and Must never be recast" threads we get whenever it happens.

Just look at this thread, many people never accepted Hardy (or come to that Bywater) and want Law back despite him having been gone for about 5 years.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only is thomas law returns to the role. The character of peter has been recasted too many times now.
    It needs to stop.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas Law was far better as Peter than Ben Hardy, so I'd happily have him back. I think another new actor will be too quick after BH's stint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been the same number (3)of 'Peter,s' as there are 'Ben,s', and two 'Lauren,s'
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only is thomas law returns to the role. The character of peter has been recasted too many times now.
    It needs to stop.
    Peter's too important a character to rest on the schedule and decisions of one actor. The likes of Law and Hardy are just laying the foundations for those to come. Eventually, hopefully we'll get an actor to really define the character and take Peter forward long term, it'd be nice if it were one of them, but we should always be willing for another to step in. What would have happened for instance if they had stopped at Janine #2? It's unthinkable.