Options

The reason why Switzerland and Norway have done well outside EU.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The reason why Switzerland and Norway have done well outside.

1.Norway have a better banking system and Tax Free rich haven.
2.Switzerland wealthy better banks & work ethic low customer spending tax free haven.

I know someone will disagree with me but the UK place is in the EU not out.

You don't want a crappy crass TTIP deal.

Comments

• Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Norway's case I think oil has had just a teensy weensy bit to do with it. Just a guess, mind.
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    In Norway's case I think oil has had just a teensy weensy bit to do with it. Just a guess, mind.

Yep. Norway is sitting on a shed load of oil for a country that size.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one mentioning Switzerland's reputation for being the banker of choice for every dictator and major criminal
  • Options
    psy7chpsy7ch Posts: 10,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    Yep. Norway is sitting on a shed load of oil for a country that size.

As is Scotland but with very different results. Norway have used it wisely, nationalised the oil industry and set up an oil fund which is worth many billions. Whereas the UK, and under Thatcher in particular when the oil revenues were huge, squandered them to cover the failed economic system monetarism with no strategy to benefit future generations.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    No-one mentioning Switzerland's reputation for being the banker of choice for every dictator and major criminal

and designer watches !

and a death ray!
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have no evidence for those claims.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    As for Switzerland, it helped that the country has always been neutral in the world, never been in war, and have a very good diplomacy. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that work ethic in Switzerland varies from canton to canton.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oil money and Nazi gold will go a long way...
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Adamsk wrote: »

2.Switzerland wealthy better banks & work ethic low customer spending tax free haven.

I think you might find that the crass TTIP deal is something you get regardless of being in or out.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

And Blatter.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    norway invested its oil revenues. We spent ours on crap skyscrapers full of bankers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    You have no evidence for those claims.
    You mean Switzerland doesn't accept money from dodgy sources or that it isn't the dodgy country of choice?

Although if the reports today are to be believed, the City of London is well on it's way to being Dodgy Money central

http://blogs.wsj.com/riskandcompliance/2015/06/09/report-finds-u-k-investigates-few-suspicious-transactions/
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iceland had a bank collapse but are now recovering outside the EU better than Greece.
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Iceland had a bank collapse but are now recovering outside the EU better than Greece.

Apples and oranges. Greeces problem arent its banks its the budge deficit
  • Options
    _Call_Me_Dave__Call_Me_Dave_ Posts: 201
    Forum Member

How have small insignificant countries like Norway and Switzerland managed to sign FTAs with China whilst the EU with its massive 500 million population failed to do so?

Their prosperity is in part due to them being outward looking nations whilst the EU is protectionist and inward looking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How have small insignificant countries like Norway and Switzerland managed to sign FTAs with China whilst the EU with its massive 500 million population failed to do so?
    Because the EU has a population of 500 million and represents significant competition to China.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er, its the EU who are negotiating the TTIP deal.. :D
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

when they didn't have a LEECH sucking them dry, that is ^_^

they agreed to MOST of the base rulings of the EU anyway, there's not much unique they do outwith the union
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    when they didn't have a LEECH sucking them dry, that is ^_^
    Not a nice thing to say about the Blessed Margaret
    Majlis wrote: »
    Er, its the EU who are negotiating the TTIP deal.. :D
    Don't see Osborne saying anything against it
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    The problem is that both Switzerland and Norway have to obey the EU rules on the single market (including freedom of movement rules) without having any say on what those rules are.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Swiss have the advantage of the Swiss Army Knife and one of the best, if not the best, railway services in the world
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, lets not forget, the Swiss Army Knife is the best negotiation tool in the world.

"That tool for horses hooves" - B Connelly etc.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,927
    Forum Member
    Agree with many points above.

Also, neither have been significantly involved in imperialistic endeavours.
    How many billions of money has the UK spent fighting wars and meddling in countries all over the place? It's even more embarrassing now, when we're relatively impoverished, listening to Johnny Little-Englander talk as if the empire is still in full swing.
  • Options
    _Call_Me_Dave__Call_Me_Dave_ Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    The problem is that both Switzerland and Norway have to obey the EU rules on the single market (including freedom of movement rules) without having any say on what those rules are.
    This is incorrect and you do not take into account the EU rules which Norway has to implement and how those rules came into being.

The vast majority of rules which Norway has to adopt do not start life out in the EU. They are devised by international bodies such as Codex and UNECE. The EU's 28 member countries have a single seat on the international bodies' committees whilst Norway has a seat of their own.

The EU represent the interests of all 28 member countries so what may be in the best interests of the UK is ignored or watered down. Norway on the other hand is able to influence regulations before they have even reached the EU for rubber stamping.

You will find a number of EU member countries have in the past asked Norway to speak on the behalf of them at the committee meetings for these international bodies. Norway has more influence in the formation of rules which they later adopt than the UK does currently.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switzerland is rich through the convenience to the international community of being able to do their banking in an internationally-recognised neutral territory that is relatively stable but also relatively insignificant.