Options

BBC1 The Met - Policing London - 08/06/15 2100

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

New series. Documentary following members of Britain's biggest and busiest police force as they deal with life, death and crime and its victims across London. The inquiry into the shooting of Mark Duggan by a firearms officer, which sparked the riots of August 2011, is about to announce whether the killing was lawful or unlawful. The impending verdict is creating anxiety in Scotland Yard and tension on the streets of Tottenham - the home of the Duggan family - and the Met is busy planning for a verdict it fears may spark fresh unrest

Covering the London riots now..

Who's watching?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    i like watching things like this
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I started watching but it's not exactly what I'm looking for after a day at work.

Switched over to BBC4 which is much more entertaining.

Recording BBC4 so I can enjoy Vicky CM later. ;-)

Good to see a more serious documentary about the police rather than the usual "cops with cars" type programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i wonder if the family have ever wondered why he had a gun in the first place
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voiceover just before one of the assistant commissioner's meetings sounded just like something out of 2012 then... "with the verdict due in half-an-hour, the assistant commissioner has called a meeting"

!!!
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Thought this was going to be good. It's boring. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds like just an excuse to riot imo, none of the people outside the court know the full facts as to what happened, gangs are killing each other with guns and knives every day, yet police kill one person who was in possession of a gun and it kicks off
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Mr Duggan, just an innocent little gangster wondering around with a gun minding his own business
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Randysback wrote: »
    Poor Mr Duggan, just an innocent little gangster wondering around with a gun minding his own business

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So gangs are going to hang around this event to cause trouble, yet if they got arrested it would be seen as racist,, i don't get it at all
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no matter what his skin colour is if he hadn't of broken the law in the first place the police wouldn't of been following him!!!

I bet half the people getting involved with all these riots and shouting matches don't even know what they are shouting and rioting about!
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    Thought this was going to be good. It's boring. :blush:
    Thought it was boring too - give me Traffic Cops, every time.:)
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those Mark Duggan protesters drive me mad. They clearly have a massive chip on their shoulders and are being egged on and stoked-up by activists who have an anti-police agenda. I was shouting at the telly half the time.
    A good programme though.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how those officers had so much patience. I felt like thumbing the TV just watching it.

What's all this stuff about being shot for holding an umbrella? The guy had a gun, he was armed. He may not have had it in his hand the very split second the bullet hit him, but this idea he was "executed" is ridiculous.

And even if he was executed, what that has to do with smashing into a Currys store to grab a new HD TV I'll never understand.

The way these people were going on you'd think we were in States with police killings every day: There's been a grand total of... ONE in London since Duggan in 2011. And that guy was holding an ex-girlfriend hostage with a knife so a fairly clear cut incident.

Although I'm still slightly surprised some people "in the community" didn't use it as excuse to upgrade their now four-year-old TV.
  • Options
    VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    i wonder if the family have ever wondered why he had a gun in the first place
    Sounds like just an excuse to riot imo, none of the people outside the court know the full facts as to what happened, gangs are killing each other with guns and knives every day, yet police kill one person who was in possession of a gun and it kicks off
    Randysback wrote: »
    So gangs are going to hang around this event to cause trouble, yet if they got arrested it would be seen as racist,, i don't get it at all
    no matter what his skin colour is if he hadn't of broken the law in the first place the police wouldn't of been following him!!!

I bet half the people getting involved with all these riots and shouting matches don't even know what they are shouting and rioting about!

This! All of this. I'll just add two more things. During the riots I was living in Brixton and could see a good part of it from my window. If you think it was only thugs looting (yes, looting is the correct term, not rioting) the shops you're wrong, there were women of all ages and also children, obviously and sadly taken by the parents to loot too. People came and parked their cars nearby and were going in and out of shops helping themselves to everything they could put their hands on. How this helps a dead man's cause I have no idea (it obviously doesn't)

The other thing is, I know a good policeman who feels incredibly frustrated and prevented from doing his job properly because before he can even think of taking action some people have already played the race card. He feels like he is gagged and has his hands tied behind his back which is very sad because he's a good police officer. Right now he's taken a sabbatical to travel and think things through because he doesn't feel like he can be a policeman any more. Sad times.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course they didn't, it was an excuse to loot and cause violence and burn down peoples homes and businesses who had no connection with any of it. And the family and community leaders stood by and allowed lies to be spread about how the man died . I found it very telling when the Borough Commander went across the street and was being abused to try and provoke a reaction , one guy was abusing him and his girlfriend pulled him away saying "not on camera" , why ? if they believed in what they were saying that would not matter, unless of course they wanted to provoke a response and then be able to say "we didn't do anything to deserve being arrested"
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a depressing watch, the Met are shit scared of the "community" kicking off even though the percentage of knife and gun crime which are black on black weren't mentioned.
    One gun toting, drug dealing scumbag who was on his way to to shoot someone by all accounts gets shot whilst in possession of a firearm and the community are up in arms and the Police are murderers.
    So black on black murder is ok? No riots, let's not mention that.
    Police shoot armed scrote, let's riot!
    This will sadly get worse.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    That was a depressing watch, the Met are shit scared of the "community" kicking off even though the percentage of knife and gun crime which are black on black weren't mentioned.

Unfortunately the Scottish police have been merged and are said to have a core of ex-Met police at the top, these have all the attitudes that the Met had years ago. So we have seen an attempt to armed police on regular patrols, a promise to stop these but they have just continued. Much higher numbers of Stop & Search than anywhere else in the country (including young children) - they were ordered to produce some statistics so the records were 'accidentally' deleted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a hateful bunch of aggressive scrotes the Duggan acolytes are, any sympathy due to the family is replaced by the rising urge to have them all thrown in the clink.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone up thread likened the commentary to 2012. Well I certainly got a 2012/W1A vibe when the senior rozzer at the community meeting in Brixton said "there were only 30 "incidents" last year, unfortunately two of them were attempted murders" :o
  • Options
    Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Someone up thread likened the commentary to 2012. Well I certainly got a 2012/W1A vibe when the senior rozzer at the community meeting in Brixton said "there were only 30 "incidents" last year, unfortunately two of them were attempted murders" :o

It's completely crazy that a policeman could say those two things in the same breath.... ''it's a reasonably low level crime event. Last year there were only 30 reported offences. Sadly two of them were attempted murders.''
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »

Depends on how many 'incidents' there had been in previous years, if there had been a hundred then it is an improvement. Though with a vague term like 'incident' it can be defined to get any figure desired and the police have long been experts at manipulating crime figures.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »

Will Self is in it. I didn't get to the mute button in time. :(

And AA Gill.

And a few other self indulgent middle class tossers.

The advantage of recording it is that I could linger over the VCM parts and fast forward through Will Self, AA Gill and the other pretentious "tossers".
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Much better this week.

How is that carnival still allowed in those fancy areas? :confused:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so glad that they managed to catch some of the culprits for that father's murder. That brother that was featured on the programmes knew he had made a huge mistake and ruined a families' life as well his own. I just hope they catch the other two culprits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Much better this week.

How is that carnival still allowed in those fancy areas? :confused:

Because it is supposedly 'multicultural'?

How long would it survive if the people involved had to pay for the policing and not the taxpayers?