Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33211099

How tragic, only 3 weeks old.:(

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor kid, didn't even get a chance at life.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »

Tragic glad the owner of the dog has quite rightly been arrested. When will people learn not to have dogs unattended around children. Get a child gate or dog gate and keep the baby away from the dog it is not difficult.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meet dogs when I'm out walking and it annoys me how many people don't seem to have them under control, nor understand what the problem is. Last Wednesday one mutt came bounding up to me and shoved his nose into my hand. When I complained the owner just said "It's only a wet nose, what does it matter?" and walked off.

A far cry from being attacked but unusual for me in that at least the dog wasn't growling. I think the dog license should be brought back along with stiff penalties for those without one.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Poor kid, didn't even get a chance at life.

It's really awful.:(

There doesn't seem to be much detail about this at the moment but the report says the baby was bitten round about 4.15am.

As all the details haven't been made public yet I don't want to pre judge the adults in the house at the time...but my first thought was that the dog shouldn't have been allowed to wander into the bedroom in the early hours where the baby was sleeping.

Poor baby.:(
  • Options
    Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder when the pro-dog Brigade will show up? You know, the ones that say their dog wouldn't harm a fly, let alone a child.

{rolleyes}
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    It's really awful.:(

There doesn't seem to be much detail about this at the moment but the report says the baby was bitten round about 4.15am.

As all the details haven't been made public yet I don't want to pre judge the adults in the house at the time...but my first thought was that the dog shouldn't have been allowed to wander into the bedroom in the early hours where the baby was sleeping.

Poor baby.:(

The fact an arrest has been made is an indication of alleged negligence. I do sympathise though I wouldn't want the death of anyone especially a young baby on my conscience.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely terrible, RIP little one :(
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I hope the dog was suitably despatched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder when the pro-dog Brigade will show up? You know, the ones that say their dog wouldn't harm a fly, let alone a child.

{rolleyes}

Was the rolleyes smiley even around when you joined?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor kid. Some dog owners are unutterably thick. Why do they imagine it's ok to have an animal wandering around a house with a baby in it?
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC reporting as a "small terrier" type.

Even cute, fluffy TRUSTED family pets can turn. That poor baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

I'd assume all dogs that seriously harmed or killed a child would be killed.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

quite often the snappiest dogs.
  • Options
    Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dogs will be dogs, no matter what the type. Yes, some will be more stronger in their aggressiveness but all can kill a baby.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

Perhaps the owner ought to have been dispatched.!

Dogs get terribly jealous of any new arrival that takes attention away from them.

A dog gate in front of a door in the room a baby is in is not a diffcult concept,this sort of thing has been in the media before,people cannot possibly say they do not know.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dogs get terribly jealous of any new arrival that takes attention away from them.

A dog gate in front of a door in the room a baby is in is not a diffcult concept,this sort of thing has been in the media before,people cannot possibly say they do not know.:(

It's complacency you think it will never happen to you and then when it does it is too late.
  • Options
    Forum Member

to be fair [as the facts are not known] it`s quite easy for a little dog to run through when you`re getting in and terriers are like lightening if they want something, given the time of the attack is when you might be in the kitchen making a bottle that seems quite possible.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

{rolleyes}

the f*** is wrong with been pro dog just because you hate dogs.Do you think all dogs are evil and nasty creatures,hate to break it to you not all dogs are nasty and evil cats can be nasty and Evil too you know,
    I cant got into my house the other week I try to push it out and it went for me so I had to throw something at it.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

{rolleyes}

I started this thread and I am a dog lover, I have a dog and have had dogs for the majority of my life.

It's not only people who are anti-dog that find incidents like this shocking and upsetting.

Yes, all dogs have the potential to harm but let's not lose sight of the fact that there are millions of dogs all over the world living in families with children who live perfectly happy without incident.

All it takes is common sense from the dog owner, if a dog doesn't have a good temperament then you don't have it in a house where there are children. Also, even if you have the most sweet and friendly dog in the world you still don't leave them with children unattended.

Like I said, in households where dogs and children reside together a little common sense is required.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you read the article, a neighbour says that the dog often got out by climbing up the fence, so a dog or baby gate would not have helped
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    If you read the article, a neighbour says that the dog often got out by climbing up the fence, so a dog or baby gate would not have helped

When my two sons were small we had a dog we bought an indoor dog crate a dog cannot escape from that and when its in there you know where it is.

If such a tradegy is not to happen again people have to learn either that A) Dogs and babies do not mix.

Or B) To take precautions such as a dog crate with a baby you really cannot be too careful.

Shortcut to: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-Puppy-Folding-Non-Chew-42-inch/dp/B003627LBU/ref=lp_471441031_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1434806131&sr=1-5

If the dog was always climbing fences then perhaps the owners should have considered re-homing before baby arrived now there is a thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of moron keeps a dog in the same house as a new born baby?

I'm no dog lover or anything, but it doesn't have any idea what a baby is and probably sees it as some sort of threat or maybe even a new toy. When the new baby comes into the home you get rid of the dog for a while at least and you never ever leave them alone until the child can kick the dogs head in if it tries to attack.

Hard to blame the actual dog in this case, 100% without a doubt down to the idiot owner who is going to pay for this misjudgement for the rest of their lives. Not sure how it's possible to forgive yourself after something like this has happened.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's complacency you think it will never happen to you and then when it does it is too late.

Yes, not-my-Charlie-he's-harmless-syndrome.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact an arrest has been made is an indication of alleged negligence. I do sympathise though I wouldn't want the death of anyone especially a young baby on my conscience.

No, it isn't. Same as often in a road accident death, an arrest takes place to allow an individual to be questioned effectively and they have a right to legal representation, not an indication they have committed an offence let alone are guilty of one.

Anyway, I'd surmise given the circumstances that are known that it is likely to be the father of the child who has been arrested. In many such cases it is often deemed not to be in the public interest to charge the parent(s) because losing their child is often seen as punishment enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member

....of nothing.

a local lady died last week, the police arrested the husband and kept him in, upon which the local press had him tried and convicted via the neighbours, none of which even knew the family.

there were some very red and i hope thoroughly ashamed faces when it transpired she had hung herself.