Options

£940 fine and five points for middle lane hogger

macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good! About time too. If you don't know the rules of the road then get off the roads!

Comments

• Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mlh??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle lane hogger, on motorways. My apologies.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    Middle lane hogger, on motorways. My apologies.

Would you mind editing the Title please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, all pedantry appeased now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Enjoy; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11690110/Motorist-becomes-first-convicted-of-hogging-motorway-middle-lane.html

About time too - though IMO it's more often some terrified, hyperventilating old dear with white knuckles doing 35 in a battered old Micra - or a d!ck in an Audi A4 "rep-mobile special" (when he's not in the right hand lane trying to get his "4-rings-of-death" bonnet badge embossed in your boot)
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    This is great news. Lets have more of this kind of thing.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully this becomes more commonplace until the feckers get out of the middle lane.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one today on the M56. Audi in the middle lane, I'm on the inside. I move out to overtake as he is doing considerably less than my 70, then as i move out to the outside to overtake, he speeds up so i have to drop back. He does this twice before slowing down again and staying in the middle. I just had to stay behind and slow down so as not to undertake.

So bloody inconsiderate
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly worried by this:

"Traffic police said six drivers were forced to brake and swerve to overtake the vehicle,"

Sounds to me like they need some driving lessons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11690110/Motorist-becomes-first-convicted-of-hogging-motorway-middle-lane.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »

"Traffic police said six drivers were forced to brake and swerve to overtake the vehicle,"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11690110/Motorist-becomes-first-convicted-of-hogging-motorway-middle-lane.html

I would guess that Police drivers take driving lessons beyond what the likes of us have to undertake*.

*sorry about that choice of words.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like he was travelling considerably slower than the prevailing speed of the vehicles around him. I think he was lucky to avoid a dangerous driving charge.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time they clamped down on this They've had the law in place for a while now. Its mainly the idiots that keep their cars on cruise control. We haven't really got the motorways to do that as they're always busy and have to keep slowing down when there's traffic ahead.

I was on the M11 the other day and there were quite a few of them driving like that. I always go over to the left lane after overtaking and once these people see me going to overtake on their left they soon move over.

However, my biggest complaint is the idiots doing 70-80 and not indicating to overtake or go back in the lane after overtaking, but thats a whole new thread!!!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What speed was he doing?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Did this news break today or yesterday?

Last night I dreamt that a middle lane hogger was getting done and I was defending him in court and summing up to a jury Grisham style.

Then I heard this news this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    About time they clamped down on this They've had the law in place for a while now. Its mainly the idiots that keep their cars on cruise control. We haven't really got the motorways to do that as they're always busy and have to keep slowing down when there's traffic ahead.

I was on the M11 the other day and there were quite a few of them driving like that. I always go over to the left lane after overtaking and once these people see me going to overtake on their left they soon move over.

However, my biggest complaint is the idiots doing 70-80 and not indicating to overtake or go back in the lane after overtaking, but thats a whole new thread!!!

Nothing wrong with cruise control. It is not moving over to an inside lane that is the problem.
    It is quite possible to make use of cruise control on UK motorways without hindering other motorists. It is not an alternative to staying alert however and some motorists may use it to do that.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »

It's not mandatory to indicate when moving back into the lane. I never do unless it's particularly busy.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up with this sort of thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not mandatory to indicate when moving back into the lane. I never do unless it's particularly busy.

Indeed, you don't have to indicate when returning to the normal driving position (the inside lane). Yet I often do out of courtesy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The regular defenders of MLH seem to have gone quiet.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think this should be punished, but the punishment sounds excessive for the nature of the offence. You get less points for speeding. Were they driving at unsafely slow speeds for a motorway or something as well (that would sound more reasonable in combination with MLH for 5 points and a grand fine)?
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Sounds like he was travelling considerably slower than the prevailing speed of the vehicles around him. I think he was lucky to avoid a dangerous driving charge.

Considerably?

How much less would you have to be going to cause those coming up behind you to have to brake hard and swerve?

Sound like he must have been doing 30 mph less or the other drivers weren't concentrating or there's some exaggerating going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Considerably?

How much less would you have to be going to cause those coming up behind you to have to brake hard and swerve?

Sound like he must have been doing 30 mph less or the other drivers weren't concentrating or there's some exaggerating going on.

At the speed which Police drivers reported it as a fact?

Tis irrelevant in any event unless you are arguing that there is a speed which justifies staying in the middle lane when you are not overtaking.
  • Options
    simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The regular defenders of MLH seem to have gone quiet.
    I was thinking that myself. There was a huge thread on this not so long ago, surprised they haven't shown up yet.