Options

Has anybody recently bought an iPod?

Comments

• Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a new one last year (depends what you meant by recent) I like my music on a separate device because Apple don't make phones above 16gb now and ive barely enough room on it for what I have now without music (don't understand the cloud business when I got my iPhone i was assured 16gb would be enough cos of the cloud but within a week and a half the cloud was full but I was on holiday and couldn't do anything about it which was useless)
    Who told you that?
    The iPhone 6 can be bought in 16/64/128 gig.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I've got an Ipod classic 160gb which now stores copies of my entire music collection (which amounts to about 135gb) - not many phones which can hold that lot.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    There are some rumours that the iPod touch is getting an update alongside the iPhone in September. Fingers crossed they'll finally release a 128GB one because my 64GB is full up. I'm not paying £600 for an iPhone which I'll need to charge three times a day!

The latest iPhones have got much better batteries and need less charging. I have an iPhone 6 plus and it needs charging every three days. I previously had an iPhone 5 which did need charging once or twice a day.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    The latest iPhones have got much better batteries and need less charging. I have an iPhone 6 plus and it needs charging every three days. I previously had an iPhone 5 which did need charging once or twice a day.

Aye they can go slightly longer between charges, if you don't use them much, but IIRC that's mainly because Apple spent some time optimising the powersaving features on IOS..

Slightly more seriously all smart phones suck for battery life.
    It's the downside of an absolutely retarded obsession with making them 0.1nm thinner than the opposition so they can take the crown of "the thinnest smartphone ever!", when it would be more useful to take them back a few years (and mm) in phone thickness and use the space gained for modern batteries t (which combined with the improved power consumption of modern hardware would probably increase the usable time between charges by several hundred percent).
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My favourite MP3 player (after my iPods) was a Q-Be. It was literally 1in x 1in x 1in so very portable ( I kept it in my bra when I listened to it :blush: ) and was very sturdy considering its size..
    How big a bra was it? :p
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I recently bought an Ipod Touch and a Nano - I currently use an Ipod Classic, Nano and Touch in different parts of the house. The Nano is great when walking the dogs as it's small and has a radio.

I couldn't be without mine - I will always have use for dedicated music players as I like to turn my phone off at various times;-).
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm someone who dumped my iPod for an iPhone. Having an iPhone means I don't need so many gadgets so for that reason alone I love it. The only let down is appalling battery life but I think I may actually need a replacement battery. Otherwise it's so much handier for me.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »

That's good to hear, but I bet it gobbles battery up quickly if you listen to music a lot. And there's still the issue of the price for the larger capacity ones!
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The smartphones are still too clunky for some uses, especially since it seems to be very rare to have chest pockets in clothing fit for exercise. Of course a big iPod wouldn't be any better. So I have a clip-on Shuffle.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Exactly I hate Spotify with a passion. What good is it in rural areas. We will never get a good enough signal here to use it when out Jogging or Bike riding. My Ipod Classic has had to go away for repair again ( under extended warranty). Hope it can be fixed as I would have to buy two Ipods now to fit my music collection.

You know you can sync the files with Spotify, right? So, sync them all on wifi and use them when you're out with no signal. Also good for going abroad, etc.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a 160Gb iPod Classic and I wouldn't be without it. I was annoyed when they stopped making them as I won't know what to do when mine dies. I wouldn't be able to store anything close to all my music on my phone. I've not got a single song on my phone and I'm always running out of space just from apps, photos and videos.
    I mostly use my iPod in the car.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I've got a 160Gb iPod Classic and I wouldn't be without it. I was annoyed when they stopped making them as I won't know what to do when mine dies. I wouldn't be able to store anything close to all my music on my phone. I've not got a single song on my phone and I'm always running out of space just from apps, photos and videos.
    I mostly use my iPod in the car.

Hopefully they're going to release a 128GB iPod touch in September
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, although it's been over a year since I went back to a dedicated MP3 player (it's a 2gb apple shuffle), if it went wrong I would replace it straight away....and this is why...

Back a few years ago I and most people I know at work switched from various MP3 players to feature phones and then smart phones - both having MP3 player built in.
    ....then, the place of work amounced the gov (Tory-lib dems) were insisting that radios in the work place or other sources with speakers were to require a £6k a year public broadcast license. Naturally, we didn't go down that route, so everyone used their smart phones with the in built MP3 and headphones.....
    Then, some people were caught using their smart phones for stuff other than music selection....mostly Facebook updates it seems. People just couldn't help it. So the company said, no more phone use for any reason...even for music playback.
    ....the only thing to be legal and also fit with the phone ban at work is an MP3 player (or other device, eg cd or radio) used on headphones.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member
    IIRC the music thing isn't the conservatives, but the PRS who have been around for decades (my brother in law had them put the frightners on his work about 15 years ago, and again recently).
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get this obsession people have with being able to store their entire music collection on any portable device. What's the point? Such a collection is far too big to be manageable and it can only be because of the "mine's bigger than yours" syndrome.

I use a little Tevion mp3 player that is about the same size as a book of stamps and I really can't fault it. It takes less than ten minutes for a full charge from flat and lasts for about three hours of continual playing.

Just as I used to like making compilation CDs for particular car journeys, I regularly change its content. I think the capacity is about 3 gigabytes, but that still holds a vast amount of music, in fact more than I ever need. Any more than that would mean I'd spend more time scrolling through directories than actually listening to it.

I too would never dream of buying anything made by Apple.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I just don't get this obsession people have with being able to store their entire music collection on any portable device. What's the point? Such a collection is far too big to be manageable and it can only be because of the "mine's bigger than yours" syndrome.

I like to have everything at hand. How is it not manageable? I've well over 100Gb and it's perfectly manageable. On my iPod I just scroll through artists and pick what I want. I don't tend to just get individual tracks (apart from b-sides) so I have full albums for every artist and I always tend to play whole albums rather than individual tracks. I think it's great that I can get in my car and before I set off I just think "What do I fancy today?" and have a scroll through. Often I get to a band and think "I've not listened to them in ages" so stick an album on. It's great for long haul flights and it's good for parties/BBQs too. I can hook my iPod up and put my "party" playlist on and have 12 hours of music. Nothing to do with "mine's bigger than yours".
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not an iPod but I bought a Fiio X5 just last year and use it every day. I do have a Deezer subscription but that is mostly for checking out new bands before buying and keeping my music spending under control.

Dedicated DAPs will always have a place in my world.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I haven't used an ipod for many, many years. I'd need around 200gb to store all my music and audiobooks so it was never a great solution.

For the last few years I've preferred using media servers like Plex and Subsonic streaming to my phone. I have my entire collection at the tip of my fingers without ever having to sync or swap files about.
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I like to have everything at hand. How is it not manageable? I've well over 100Gb and it's perfectly manageable. On my iPod I just scroll through artists and pick what I want. I don't tend to just get individual tracks (apart from b-sides) so I have full albums for every artist and I always tend to play whole albums rather than individual tracks. I think it's great that I can get in my car and before I set off I just think "What do I fancy today?" and have a scroll through. Often I get to a band and think "I've not listened to them in ages" so stick an album on. It's great for long haul flights and it's good for parties/BBQs too. I can hook my iPod up and put my "party" playlist on and have 12 hours of music. Nothing to do with "mine's bigger than yours".

Agreed! For me it's about convenience. I plug in my iPod to iTunes and it copies everything over. No having to pick and choose. It's all there in case I want to listen to it. What's wrong with wanting such convenience?
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a dedicated MP3 player as long as I can remember. Sony, Cowan, sensa etc etc.

I had a 160gb iPod classic I got second hand from CEX. When Apple stopped making them the prices shot up and I sold it back to CEX for £60 more than I paid for it two years later.

Got a voucher instead of credit and used that to get a 32gb iPod touch. I was lucky in the fact it was still under warranty with Apple so when it developed a fault instead of taking it back to CEX I got it swapped out at Apple so basically got a brand new 32gb 5th gen touch for less than half the price.

I don't have a gigantic music collection and I'm not an audiophile so that does me fine.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a IPod for many years.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    I stuck with my D6C cassette Walkman after trying one of the early iPods and years later when a new one came out I tried that and still not as good. To me, the iPod produces a sound that I cannot enjoy fully - like what cheap digital cameras do to a photograph.

I brink my D6C to work with some basic headphones and a few tapes. The staff found it a bit funny until they listened and then no more laughter and just a little grudging respect.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still got my ipod 1 from 2003. Still going strong after all the batterings its taken over the years. The build quality back in them days was far far superior to the iphones of today. I have an iphone which i only use for non music stuff. I have over 10,000 songs in my itunes on my laptop - an ipod is much better for me to get all my music on.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I stuck with my D6C cassette Walkman after trying one of the early iPods and years later when a new one came out I tried that and still not as good. To me, the iPod produces a sound that I cannot enjoy fully - like what cheap digital cameras do to a photograph.

I brink my D6C to work with some basic headphones and a few tapes. The staff found it a bit funny until they listened and then no more laughter and just a little grudging respect.

Sorry, im all for nostalgia but theres no cassette walkman in the world that sounds better then an ipod. When you tried using one the ipod must have had crap headphones.

Of course, if the sound of a hissing tape is what you naturally prefer then thats different. I have frisnds who like the cackle of vinyl on a record player, but they admit in terms of sound quality, the record player is miles behind.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I did last year but rarely use it.