Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    I found Elton's introduction utterly offensive. Ever heard of impartiality?

I think he said something else derogatory at the end too about disco! :(

To be honest - I never thought he came across too well that time he presented it in 1977 - so I wonder why he was asked back again!?
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    One single that I am really sorry fell into the black hole created by the musician's strike is The Korgis, Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime which made No5 in early July 1980. A real shame that there was never a performance of this wonderful record on TOTP, a song that would easily be in my personal 100 fave's of all time list.

Kate Bush's Babooshka is another terrible miss out. If only the track hadn't slipped just that one place the week the show came back on air it might have grabbed a viewing.

Drat!!! Loved that Korgis track. They really should have had Top of the Pops return with a 2 hours special and do a proper recap of the missed two months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have decided from now on, I am not going to bother watching the half 7 edition. Now that there are interviews and longer performances, too much is going to be butchered. And it's not enjoyable to watch when you see bands that you have been looking forward to see cut out. Like on Thursday the genius editor decides to cut out the two best songs of the episode, Roxy Music and Sheena Easton. If they can't show it in full, it really isn't worth showing it at all, more so now the revamp is here.

As far as the episodes goes, very good. I like the way they played the Abba video all the way through without cutting it off at all! If this had been before the revamp, it wouldn't have made it till the end. I think it's early days though and tbh I didn't think this episode was much different apart from the chart rundowns and Elton John. I think Peter Powell seemed a lot more relaxed and was able to talk freely with Elton, whereas before the DJs would just have to read the autoque and only had a few seconds each time to say anything. In that way, it's a lot better to watch. The change was also quite obvious in that Gibson Brothers performance and looking forward to the coming months when the change will become more apparent.

I've always opted for the later edition, Tele addict. I usually watch it at the weekend and then catch up on this forum's wonderful observations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Simon Mayo: Now then, Morrissey, what do you think of the latest Technotronic single?
    Morrissey: Two faceless puppets dancing around to a moronic beat, I wish they would drop dead on stage.
    Simon Mayo: That's a shame, Morrissey, as they're on next.

I think Morrissey has always been a 'glass half empty' kind of bloke! I wouldn't have expected a jolly, light hearted response from him! :D
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have decided from now on, I am not going to bother watching the half 7 edition. Now that there are interviews and longer performances, too much is going to be butchered. And it's not enjoyable to watch when you see bands that you have been looking forward to see cut out. Like on Thursday the genius editor decides to cut out the two best songs of the episode, Roxy Music and Sheena Easton. If they can't show it in full, it really isn't worth showing it at all, more so now the revamp is here.

As far as the episodes goes, very good. I like the way they played the Abba video all the way through without cutting it off at all! If this had been before the revamp, it wouldn't have made it till the end. I think it's early days though and tbh I didn't think this episode was much different apart from the chart rundowns and Elton John. I think Peter Powell seemed a lot more relaxed and was able to talk freely with Elton, whereas before the DJs would just have to read the autoque and only had a few seconds each time to say anything. In that way, it's a lot better to watch. The change was also quite obvious in that Gibson Brothers performance and looking forward to the coming months when the change will become more apparent.

I usually record the full-sixed later screening but next Thursday's TOTP is from 14th August 1980 and, see here......

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1980-08-14

....it was only half an hour long so it won't be edited for the 7.30 screening.

edit: the following edition on 21st August was 40 minutes long and presented by Steve Wright so they can show it but it'll be chop-chop-chopped at 7.30.

I don't know why they can show the full-length edition at 7.30. There are plenty of 50 minute programmes in the BBC archive that they could use to fill a 8.10 to 9.00 slot.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I think Morrissey has always been a 'glass half empty' kind of bloke! I wouldn't have expected a jolly, light hearted response from him! :D
    I think he despises 99 per cent of other musicians and 99 per cent of the human race. I doubt anything that is remotely jolly or danceable would appeal to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daltrey infamously said "mind your backs" when introducing Village People in an episode that must be due to be shown very soon (unless his co-host was JS or DLT). It will be interesting to see if that is cut or not (if the episode is shown)!

Yes - I think I saw that on some documentary once! :blush::D - I don't think it will be cut out to be honest - unless like you say - it's on a Yewtree edition! All the editing team seem to be looking for is whether Jimmy or Dave's faces appear - everything else would take too long to scrutinise!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he despises 99 per cent of other musicians and 99 per cent of the human race. I doubt anything that is remotely jolly or danceable would appeal to him.

I do love Morrissey - or moreover his wonderful lyrics - but yes he does seem to look negatively at a lot of people. I'm reading his book at the minute & I must admit - it has a very 'gloomy' atmosphere all the way through - from the rainy back streets of Manchester through to his court case - the mood never lifts.

I do hope Morrissey will be happy one day! x
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger Daltrey insulted disco on the show as well. I daresay ten years later more traditional and rockist musicians would have had something to say about house music, which was just as despised( if not more) by many rock and pop singers.
    Simon Mayo: Now then, Morrissey, what do you think of the latest Technotronic single?
    Morrissey: Two faceless puppets dancing around to a moronic beat, I wish they would drop dead on stage.
    Simon Mayo: That's a shame, Morrissey, as they're on next

:D Spot on, I love it and can visualise this actually happening in my head. :D
    Daltrey infamously said "mind your backs" when introducing Village People in an episode that must be due to be shown very soon (unless his co-host was JS or DLT). It will be interesting to see if that is cut or not (if the episode is shown)!
    Yes - I think I saw that on some documentary once! :blush::D - I don't think it will be cut out to be honest - unless like you say - it's on a Yewtree edition! All the editing team seem to be looking for is whether Jimmy or Dave's faces appear - everything else would take too long to scrutinise!!

I think you'll find that the Daltrey episode may well be popping up a lot sooner than you realise! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »

I think you'll find that the Daltrey episode may well be popping up a lot sooner than you realise! ;-)

HURRAY - I know he's due to host one soon! :)
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errr ... no I didn't.:D

Yes you did, it wasn't on your list! :D. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Spot on, I love it and can visualise this actually happening in my head. :D

I assume you mean next week! I knew it was soon as I remember Can't Stop the Music from summer 1980.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you mean next week! I knew it was soon as I remember Can't Stop the Music from summer 1980.

Yep, should be.

I hope that doesn't spoil anything for anyone. I did wonder whether I should have put that info in spoiler tags but didn't think it really necessary. A good and very eclectic looking line up also. But I won't mention anyone's name whose on! If you want to know go look yourself. :p
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB. It was Mozart's 40th symphony : an absolute classic - if you pardon the pun. Even I as a glam rock loving 10 year old loved this piece of classical music. I also only recently discovered Mozart's Concerto for Clarinets. This is probably the greatest piece of classical music ever composed. Haunting and beautiful, almost hymn-like. ;-)

If you like that I would recommend (if you don't know it already) his Clarinet Quintet, the slow movement is otherwordly.

Mozart's 40th (basically just the 1st movement) was also done in yet another arrangement by The Sovereign Collection, I think I remember liking that attempt more. Though obviously neither is a substitute for hearing the full piece performed as originally intended.

Jump to the Beat has a great chorus but the verse isn't as good for me.

Mariana is nice energetic number, I think it was a hit elsewhere too, including France where they were based.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    If you like that I would recommend (if you don't know it already) his Clarinet Quintet, the slow movement is otherwordly.

Mozart's 40th (basically just the 1st movement) was also done in yet another arrangement by The Sovereign Collection, I think I remember liking that attempt more. Though obviously neither is a substitute for hearing the full piece performed as originally intended.

Jump to the Beat has a great chorus but the verse isn't as good for me.

Mariana is nice energetic number, I think it was a hit elsewhere too, including France where they were based.

I am not familiar with the Clarinet Quintet but I will look into this immediately. Thank you for the recommendation Starry.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    I think he said something else derogatory at the end too about disco! :(

To be honest - I never thought he came across too well that time he presented it in 1977 - so I wonder why he was asked back again!?
    Roger Daltrey's main gripe was to do with disco, too. I think by 1980 the charts had been saturated by it for a number of years, and even around eighteen months or so earlier, a lot of people felt like it would be nice to have a change. Elton flirted with disco briefly, but his efforts weren't successful or regarded very highly. Daltrey, and The Who kept clear of it. Roger was fed up right from the start of the show, because he said he expected The Clash on the show, and they hadn't turned up! The Clash were notorious anyway for refusing to appear on the show, so Daltrey just may have been stringing Tommy Vance and the audience along. I think it is the nature of rock stars to have a bit of a rebellious, or non conformist streak, so the likes of Elton and Roger's comments, for me, isn't anything to make an issue of.

Yes, i thought Peter Powell did a great job of presenting last week's show, and he really shines when he's given more to do. The new format was working well in his favour.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tommy Vance & Roger Daltrey co-presentation of TOTP is I believe coming up next week with the 14th August 1980 edition. By the way, for those wondering if his homophobic comment will be cut out of the show, you may be interested to know that on POTP this afternoon, which has been posted on that thread for those who don't view that one, Tony Blackburn was playing this week in 1988 and skipped the No2 single because it was Timelords and had a bit of Glitter's Rock 'n' Roll in it, even though the track itself had no connection to Gary Glitter as such. Which is odd considering that a few weeks back the BBC were fine with showing the Human League doing Glitter's Rock 'n' Roll in a full and straightforward cover. Total inconsistency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's in for the repeat? I'm absolutely buzzing after watching the brilliant Suede live from Glastonbury prior to this. Well worth watching if you didn't see it and want to see a great live band.

Anyway, back to the Pops....

oh and we're getting the proper Roxy performance now, nice. Great song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Roger Daltrey's main gripe was to do with disco, too. I think by 1980 the charts had been saturated by it for a number of years, and even around eighteen months or so earlier, a lot of people felt like it would be nice to have a change. Elton flirted with disco briefly, but his efforts weren't successful or regarded very highly. Daltrey, and The Who kept clear of it. Roger was fed up right from the start of the show, because he said he expected The Clash on the show, and they hadn't turned up! The Clash were notorious anyway for refusing to appear on the show, so Daltrey just may have been stringing Tommy Vance and the audience along. I think it is the nature of rock stars to have a bit of a rebellious, or non conformist streak, so the likes of Elton and Roger's comments, for me, isn't anything to make an issue of.

Yes, i thought Peter Powell did a great job of presenting last week's show, and he really shines when he's given more to do. The new format was working well in his favour.

Yes, many people look back fondly to the disco era now (as I myself do) but at the time many people were absolutely fed up with the way disco totally dominated the radio (as I myself was!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a mediocre Pops edition. Elton's awful. I'm just sticking around to see and hear the mighty ABBA one more time today....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the slightly New Romantic girl (well, she had a sort of pill-box/air-hostess hat on) who rushed to the front and then proceeded to 'dance' in the most stilted fashion, not once altering her routine.

Everytime The Gibson Brothers come on I'm reminded of Demis Roussos with a deeper voice.

:D:D I remembered this comment and didn't see her before but just saw her in her full glory in the repeat and totally see what you mean! She was great but looked totally out of place! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, many people look back fondly to the disco era now (as I myself do) but at the time many people were absolutely fed up with the way disco totally dominated the radio (as I myself was!).

I wonder what these same people thought then in 1990??! :o. Yes - there was a lot of disco around in the late 70s & 1980 too - but at least there was a balance with other genres too - such as two tone, rock & New Wave etc.
    By the time 1990 came round - the majority of chart music was dance, soul, funk & remixes which unfortunately became increasingly popular throughout the 90s!! :( - Good job Elton & Roger weren't hosting then!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, from the context of today things are a little different, because we aren't actually subjected to that amount of disco, and all the more mediocre and novelty disco etc. which has fallen by the wayside in the intervening years. What we hear generally on the radio today etc. is cherry picked and very much the cream of the crop. I think we are much more sensitive too about a comment like Roger made, relating to homophobia, when his comment was really more targeted at disco, because it related to its early cultural beginnings, which was because Roger was throughly cheesed off with it, and it was a way of venting his frustration. He makes comments about Legs & Co. too, which perhaps wouldn't be the norm today, as it would be deemed a little sexist. However, those days were very different, and possibly not having the added interpretation the likes of the recent paedophile cases, have encouraged, changes one's perceptions a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder what these same people thought then in 1990??! :o. Yes - there was a lot of disco around in the late 70s & 1980 too - but at least there was a balance with other genres too - such as two tone, rock & New Wave etc.
    By the time 1990 came round - the majority of chart music was dance, soul, funk & remixes which unfortunately became increasingly popular throughout the 90s!! :( - Good job Elton & Roger weren't hosting then!!
    Well, i can remember back in 1984 Roger remarking on how he felt contemporary black music was beginning to be severely watered down, and he was looking for a return of "real" soul. I think in 1980 the likes of Roger and Elton still cared enough to make their feelings known, but by 1990, i believe the abundance of dance music began to push the likes of Roger into finding his own musical comfort elsewhere. Elton was more difficult to understand in some ways, because he has always found a need to have one eye on remaining a little more contemporary, while occasionally showing his disdain for some of the modern sounds. My thoughts are that by the early nineties, Elton wasn't so fully engaged in being creative musically generally as he had once been, despite him having a number one hit with "Sacrifice". He hadn't a real conviction anymore, or a focused critical eye, because his "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" remake with Ru Paul from the mid nineties, among some of his other efforts, was truly horrendous. He became more focused again in around 2001, with his "Songs From The West Coast" album and pretty much condemned a lot of his output from the previous decade or so, as he felt his artistry had been overshadow by his celebrity profile. Then he recorded his "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" remake with Blue.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Who's in for the repeat? I'm absolutely buzzing after watching the brilliant Suede live from Glastonbury prior to this. Well worth watching if you didn't see it and want to see a great live band.

Was Butler playing?
This discussion has been closed.