Options

Discovery / Eurosport secure exclusive pan-Europe Olympic rights from 2022

Comments

• Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forget about things like Swimming and Athletics, BBC will only end up with things no one watches such as Wresting and Judo.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about things like Swimming and Athletics, BBC will only end up with things no one watches such as Wresting and Judo.
    Oh how I wish we were all gifted with your ability to tell the future.

The first summer games under this deal are 9 years away. We don't even know which city will be hosting them. So statements like yours are highly premature.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Oh how I wish we were all gifted with your ability to tell the future.

The first summer games under this deal are 9 years away. We don't even know which city will be hosting them. So statements like yours are highly premature.

Its obvious that Eurosport would want to keep the good stuff for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not obvious. It's nine years away. Nobody, not even those in charge at Eurosport, knows what will happen regarding UK rights.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it obvious for brand Olympics, and the 200 hours?
    With 750 million people in the Europe IOC region, this sale is £2 per person living in the region. What would the IOC want in that 200 hours? The corporates like McDonalds, Coca Cola pay big money to the IOC, so they can sell products with the five rings. If the public only see weightlifting they may not be enthused by the Coke marketing machine.

Of the 200 hours would they be sold direct by the IOC?
    Could the FTA broadcaster buy xxx more hours off Discovery?
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not obvious. It's nine years away. Nobody, not even those in charge at Eurosport, knows what will happen regarding UK rights.

Careful, you may be accused of using common sense on the Broadcasting forum!
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    If the BBC explored its options and opened up to just a part-subscription model as well as funded by the TVL, they might have a shot at getting the Pay TV coverage part, If Olympics coverage does split into a FTA/Pay ratio in the future like I expect.

But hey, the BBC are so asleep and out of touch it's unbelievable, still trying to cling onto that elitist notion of everyone's broadcaster mentally.

The BBC is no more of Britain's broadcaster than NBC is to the US! Just wished the BBC would get that.
    I do belive the BBC are not allowe to launch such a channel, even if they wanted to.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Discovery has to contract with a free to air broadcaster (at least unless the rules change)

The free to air broadcasters don't have to contract with Discovery.

Therefore the broadcasters will be in the prime position to make sure they get some of "the good stuff" as they can otherwise walk away and put Discovery in a bit of a bind
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are in 2015, this MIGHT be news in 2022, chill out guys! God knows what will happen I the next 7 years! Talk aout an over reaction on this thread.

The same over reaction that occurred when a member started a thread asking why should the viewing public lose out in 2022 through the Qatar World Cup being moved to winter! Actually that was even more of an over reaction given that, in my view, it's still doubtful that the 2022 WC will be held in winter, or indeed in Qatar.
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,090
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Discovery has to contract with a free to air broadcaster (at least unless the rules change)

The free to air broadcasters don't have to contract with Discovery.

Therefore the broadcasters will be in the prime position to make sure they get some of "the good stuff" as they can otherwise walk away and put Discovery in a bit of a bind

Yes, but the rules state that if none of the FTA broadcasters b
    offers Discovery enough money, then they can reject all those offers and show it all behind a pay wall.
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Kirch bought the live tv rights for the world cup football finals for 2002. 2006, 2010, 2014.

BBC and Itv still got the normal rights

It will be the same with eurosport

Kirch went bankrupt, I think that won't happen with discovery
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    If something is listed as on the A-List of protected events, you require OFCOM consent to broadcast it and any broadcaster that decides to ignore that risks having their broadcasting licence/s revoked and then where would that leave DiscoveryUK?
    Its law!
    The licences are only required for uplinks from the UK. They could use any other EU country in which they have a licence to uplink from. No UK licence required to broadcast to the UK via satellite from another country.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but the rules state that if none of the FTA broadcasters b
    offers Discovery enough money, then they can reject all those offers and show it all behind a pay wall.

The rules appear to state a bit more - that it must be all above board before Ofcom grants permission to bend the rules?

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/ofcom_code_on_sport.pdf
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    The rules appear to state a bit more - that it must be all above board before Ofcom grants permission to bend the rules?

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/other-codes/ofcom_code_on_sport.pdf

As mlt11 has already pointed out up-thread, the arbiter of any decision is the Secretary of State (who may well delegate the matter to Ofcom). It is up to the arbiter to decide whether offers from terrestrial channels are reasonable or not, not Discovery.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,463
    Forum Member
    It's bad news. Eurosport's coverage is terrible. The crowd sound is always muted and the commentators sound like they are in a broom closet. Not to mention the constant commercial breaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad news. Eurosport's coverage is terrible. The crowd sound is always muted and the commentators sound like they are in a broom closet. Not to mention the constant commercial breaks.
    Nine. Years.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As things stand, the Charter under which the operate prevents them from doing that, even if they wanted to.

The ball is really in their court in the upcoming renewal talks. Many ministers have said it's up to the BBC to explore other options. And I can't really fathom why the beeb oppose this, since no matter what, its public service remit will always be funded by TVL or general taxation, however only up to a certain point.

Siphoning off some of the BBC operations under a subscription model really is the best option they have, before it gets too late, and those people who oppose this: really don't understand the complications of the changing broadcasting landscape.

The IOC have sent a clear message here: and that it is NOT happy with the backward looking PSB European public funding, and prefer super commercial media companies like NBC Universal (who still have the most stroke). Seriously, the Americans have already won the way future media practices are run.

Not a surprise at all, that they sold the European rights to a more pioneering spirit of a US corporation! Don't the Americans always win the Olympics, anyway?
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nine. Years.

This. That is all.

On a serious note - we're discussing something which is impossible to talk about, 9 years ago iPlayer didn't even exist yet now it's part of daily life for some people, hell I don't even watch some TV programmes on my TV any more as they're available via apps on my tablet (another common day item which didn't exist in such prominence 9 years ago)

There's no point trying to use today's TV experience and compare it to 9 years from now - the landscape will be entirely different, hell we might not even have a BBC by then so what's the point in panicking before it happens?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The licences are only required for uplinks from the UK. They could use any other EU country in which they have a licence to uplink from. No UK licence required to broadcast to the UK via satellite from another country.

And Eurosport happens to be one such channel, licenced/uplinked in France and with no Ofcom licence.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »

The IOC have sent a clear message here: and that it is NOT happy with the backward looking PSB European public funding, and prefer super commercial media companies like NBC Universal (who still have the most stroke). Seriously, the Americans have already won the way future media practices are run.

I agree, the BBC deserve all they got because of the way they neglect Olympic sports outside the actual Olympic events. Their coverage of Winter Sports was utterly pathetic - perhaps 20 hours of live coverage over the entire year, shoved away on BBC Red Button. Contrast that with the amount that Eurosport has done for Winter Sports on a European basis - they converted once obscure sports like biathlon into mainstream sports all across Europe
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in 2024 when the Games are in Paris.
    Europe will get 200 hrs of broadcasts FTA.
    1. Sorry moaners, but EastEnders I'd it is still on will be on BBC 2.
    2. Though FTA I think it is fair to say live coverage will be sparse in those broadcast hours. If you look at Athletics in the starting at 10am, but it may not finish until past 10pm. Although with the hour time difference I see the following.
    Day One opening. 5 hours. Friday.
    Day 4 Monday.
    BBC Breakfast (with Games News so avoiding the allocated hours).
    9am to 1pm Games Broadcast
    1pm News
    1.45 Games
    18.00 News
    19.00 Games
    22.00 News

Thats it.
    However could we see a post games show from a Paris venue, with chat, and short clips as you have on the news. Would those clips count to the 200 hours?

3. More important would Discovery control,what is live? The 100m live on Eurosport, while BBC team are in Stadium showing highlights of British medal success in Hockey?

4. In the above BBC schedule I allowed weekdays 11.5 hours. Or 115 hours. Plus 5 hours opening is 120 hours. Leaving 80 hours for the six weekend days, or about 13 hours a day. (Not forgetting any news on those days) So in theory middle weekend when Athletics/swimming cross maybe some hours on BBC 2.
    5. Some people moan that BBC One focussed too much on British competitors, think that will be more so in 2024.

6. I suggest Paris, think itbwill be Europe, could be Rome or Hamburg.

What if it's Boston, or LA?
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    This. That is all.

On a serious note - we're discussing something which is impossible to talk about, 9 years ago iPlayer didn't even exist yet now it's part of daily life for some people, hell I don't even watch some TV programmes on my TV any more as they're available via apps on my tablet (another common day item which didn't exist in such prominence 9 years ago)

There's no point trying to use today's TV experience and compare it to 9 years from now - the landscape will be entirely different, hell we might not even have a BBC by then so what's the point in panicking before it happens?

We're discussing TV rights agreed ahead of time. The TV landscape is of no relevance. You either have the rights or you don't.

Why are posters even bothering to read this thread then if its all going to change?

It is relevent to discuss the escalating costs for sports hidden behind paytv walls. You either have first pick at the rights or you don't. The BBC doesn't, its lost its place, again. Any licenced rights which Discovery farms out won't be agreed in 9 years time, they will be agreed in the next few months.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to throw something else into the mix: is there any guarantee Eurosport will be around in nine years' time? ;-)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the BBC deserve all they got because of the way they neglect Olympic sports outside the actual Olympic events. Their coverage of Winter Sports was utterly pathetic - perhaps 20 hours of live coverage over the entire year, shoved away on BBC Red Button. Contrast that with the amount that Eurosport has done for Winter Sports on a European basis - they converted once obscure sports like biathlon into mainstream sports all across Europe

In this country, there seems to be little widespread enthusiasm to watch Winter Olympics sports though, and that' the problem for the BBC - do they spend a lot of scarce sports budget and devote many hours of prime coverage to something that few people seem to want to watch (whilst at the same time displacing more popular programming from the schedules)?

And really, it's hardly right to compare a dedicated sports broadcaster with a broadcaster who has to cater for a far wider range of interests, tastes and programming.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to throw something else into the mix: is there any guarantee Eurosport will be around in nine years' time? ;-)

And if it is, in what form? Discovery has deep pockets; very deep pockets. Many posters on here seem concerned with how poor Eurosport's coverage currently is. I would suggest that it is equally probable that the parent company goes for a decent chunk of the next Premier League TV rights contract and looks to transform its British sports television offering.

Whilst it may seem a stretch of the imagination now, what is there to say that in 10 years Eurosport isn't the premier sports broadcaster in the UK?