Options

Emmerdale: The Destruction of Ross Barton

Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
Forum Member
✭✭
When Ross first came on Emmerdale as Laurel's car jacker and was revealed to be one of the Bartons he started off very promising and when they paired him with Donna he became one of my favorite characters, their story had romance drama and intrigue and when Donna died it showed Ross was more than just the thug, he has a heart too. However over the past month or so TPTB are slowly destroying his character with this dull romance with Debbie and now by making him Charity's latest babby daddy it brings his character down even more. I used to find myself rooting for Ross but these days its really hard when they put him in two crappy stories like these.

Comments

• Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I'm deeply unimpressed about him being the baby's father but hopefully it won't destroy the character. There's so much that's great about him, I don't think one development will ruin everything. Certainly hope not. I'm hoping he's not really the father and Charity's just saying that so no one finds out the truth.
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    I'm deeply unimpressed about him being the baby's father but hopefully it won't destroy the character. There's so much that's great about him, I don't think one development will ruin everything. Certainly hope not. I'm hoping he's not really the father and Charity's just saying that so no one finds out the truth.

I'm hoping that this is a part of her scheme as well, but if he really is the father and you throw that on top of the debbie romance and its enough to ruin his character.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that this is a part of her scheme as well, but if he really is the father and you throw that on top of the debbie romance and its enough to ruin his character.

I think the exact opposite ......how long can he keep on playing the bad guy it just gets repetitive and boring.....but we can now see the other side to him.. a softer caring mischievous side all of which we have had glimpse's of in the past and would be nice to see more of in the future..giving the character a lot more mileage..
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Overrated character he's decent at best
  • Options
    Ross_WRoss_W Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    You lot are hilarious. Please stop the bandwagoning on the forum.

Ross is the definition of a complex character if ever there was one.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person 'destroying' criminal, thieving, cheating, pensioner-beating Thug Barton is Thug Barton. As long as he carried on dipping his wick in anything with a pulse, with no thought to contraception, at least one of them was bound to end up pregnant sooner or later.

As for his 'softer' side, pft! I'm prepared to accept he fell in love with Donna, but he got over her pretty damn quickly and now we're supposed to believe Debbie is 'the one'. The man's soon going to have had more 'loves of his life' than Marlon. :kitty:

The only SOR for me is that he's not already locked up in prison for his many (several violent) crimes.
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want more screentime for KIng Cain:) and less screentime for this greaseball.>:(
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I only liked Ross with Donna now he is becoming unbearable to watch.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    The only person 'destroying' criminal, thieving, cheating, pensioner-beating Thug Barton is Thug Barton. As long as he carried on dipping his wick in anything with a pulse, with no thought to contraception, at least one of them was bound to end up pregnant sooner or later.

As for his 'softer' side, pft! I'm prepared to accept he fell in love with Donna, but he got over her pretty damn quickly and now we're supposed to believe Debbie is 'the one'. The man's soon going to have had more 'loves of his life' than Marlon. :kitty:

The only SOR for me is that he's not already locked up in prison for his many (several violent) crimes.

Thankyou, O.J., you said it for me. I don't understand anyone liking the character. There must have been enough evidence to convict him after his crime spree with that bent policewoman.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another mother daughter triangle, well we havent had one for a couple of years since Charity was set to wed the bloke Debbie was engaged to. When exactly did Charity and Ross shag? I think the timeline is wrong.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »

It won't destoy his character because his character was dreadful to start with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can you possibly ruim character like that anyway, he's thug, has always been a thug and always will be a thug, no ifs no buts.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another mother daughter triangle, well we havent had one for a couple of years since Charity was set to wed the bloke Debbie was engaged to. When exactly did Charity and Ross shag? I think the timeline is wrong.

Anything can happen in soapland especially when you have KO as the producer...a thirteen month pregnancy.is quite normal in her world..:confused::confused:
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like that he slept with Charity while he was still crying over Donna's death. He mourned for quite a while (for a soap character) and it soils the romance of Ross/Donna.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    Anything can happen in soapland especially when you have KO as the producer...a thirteen month pregnancy.is quite normal in her world..:confused::confused:

When they were breaking up cars in the Chop Shop 9 months ago, it was mentioned in the episode last night.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can a rubbish character be destroyed?
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did i blink and miss him sleeping with Charity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did i blink and miss him sleeping with Charity?

No because it all happened off screen which is the insulting part of the story, Show not tell being the first rule of Soap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross_W wrote: »

There's no bandwagoning. Some people think he's great, some people think he's not. Just because you think he's great doesn't mean that you're right and those of us who disagree with you are wrong. Thinking that is just plain arrogant.
  • Options
    Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I just don't like that he slept with Charity while he was still crying over Donna's death. He mourned for quite a while (for a soap character) and it soils the romance of Ross/Donna.

This reveal doesn't change what we already knew about Ross and his feelings for Donna.

Remember he tried to sleep with Debbie shortly after Donna died. When Debbie knocked him back he told Pete about the kiss and the strip tease Debbie did for him.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bandwagoning AKA people having their own opinions that differ from yours :kitty:
    Oldnjaded wrote: »

This is my problem too, Jaded. Ross was 'in love' with Donna but we are now supposed to believe that whilst he was grieving he jumped into bed with Charity. Also if you remember the him/Debbie thing was bubbling along slowly back then as well.. So we are now suppose to believe he has actual feelings for Debbie but was happy enough to jump into bed with her mother? Just stupid. I am not happy at all that he's the father.
    This reveal doesn't change what we already knew about Ross and his feelings for Donna.

Remember he tried to sleep with Debbie shortly after Donna died. When Debbie knocked him back he told Pete about the kiss and the strip tease Debbie did for him.

My problem is it's a case of one too many. There has always been 'something' between Debbie and Ross so it made sense for him to turn to her in his grief. It's been a long time since Donna died now and Ross has only just started to 'make a play' for Debbie so it's believable that he now has feelings for her (because imo there was always 'something' between them) but to sleep with Charity? First it makes a mockery of his grief for Donna and secondly it stomps all over his 'feelings' for Debbie.
  • Options
    Ross_WRoss_W Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    There's no bandwagoning. Some people think he's great, some people think he's not. Just because you think he's great doesn't mean that you're right and those of us who disagree with you are wrong. Thinking that is just plain arrogant.

There is bandwagoning. A handful of people had this opinion, and so all of the brainless morons on the forum (the Emmerdale lot are the dumbest) who don't know how to form a coherent opinion on a subject matter all jump on the opinion as if it's the be all and end all.

Please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Kenzie70Kenzie70 Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is bandwagoning. A handful of people had this opinion, and so all of the brainless morons on the forum (the Emmerdale lot are the dumbest) who don't know how to form a coherent opinion on a subject matter all jump on the opinion as if it's the be all and end all.

Please.

Or maybe they have that opinion as well. He is an awful character. I don't need to jump on anyone else opinion, I have that opinion all on my own thank you.

You're just upset because people don't agree with your opinion, so claiming they're jumping on a bandwagon makes you feel like your opinion is more valid.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member

Also
    Debbie is pregnant. I expect it will be Ross's so Ross will have two babies to think about. The actress is pregnant in real life as well as in Emmerdale.