Options

Should big corporations support gay rights?

Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
Forum Member
Owen Jones doesn't think so

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/jun/29/lgbt-movement-hijacked-big-business-video#comment-54673261

I think he's got a point ( :o ). Too many companies are using gay rights as a moral fig leaf and even the Tories are at it by using the threat of homophobic 'extremism' to extend the state's control over children.

However he falls into his usual trap of assuming that the LGBT 'movement' is just another branch of left-wing politics. I wonder how Owen feels about gay conservatives.

I'd also be interested to hear what his reaction would be to a big corporation which DIDN'T support gay rights.

Comments

• Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Owen Jones doesn't think so

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/jun/29/lgbt-movement-hijacked-big-business-video#comment-54673261

I think he's got a point ( :o ). Too many companies are using gay rights as a moral fig leaf and even the Tories are at it by using the threat of homophobic 'extremism' to extend the state's control over children.

However he falls into his usual trap of assuming that the LGBT 'movement' is just another branch of left-wing politics. I wonder how Owen feels about gay conservatives.

I'd also be interested to hear what his reaction would be to a big corporation which DIDN'T support gay rights.

I think the whole thing is getting boring,there will always be opposition to certain things,but the world needs a rest from pressure groups and box ticking.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good PR. It presents the company as modern and forward-thinking. That's a good image to project.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Wouldnt it be great,for once,if a company said we support the rights of minorities,BUT,we are a business,and we will always employ the best candidate.
  • Options
    sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be great,for once,if a company said we support the rights of minorities,BUT,we are a business,and we will always employ the best candidate.

Yes that would be good and it wouldn't surprise me to find out it was the opposite of what you'd get from most London Councils.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Being "LGBT" is not a leftist movement.....

Someone can be pro "LGBT" yet right leaning.

As a gay married man I find some of the rhetoric bull shit, no one should be abusing their status as a minority to further themselves ahead of others that don't fit siad stererotypical criteria.

I think as a society we need to look past gay agenda and appreciate a person for who they are and not the orientation in which they swing.

Society has a problem with homosexuality and its off shoots, god didn't make everyone of us in his image.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    What is there to support about them any more than supporting straight people's rights?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is generally what such statements say.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Being "LGBT" is not a leftist movement.....

Someone can be pro "LGBT" yet right leaning.

As a gay married man I find some of the rhetoric bull shit, no one should be abusing their status as a minority to further themselves ahead of others that don't fit siad stererotypical criteria.

I think as a society we need to look past gay agenda and appreciate a person for who they are and not the orientation in which they swing.

Society has a problem with homosexuality and its off shoots, god didn't make everyone of us in his image.

Millions don't believe in God or that he created anything.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Should big corporations support gay rights? ".

what are gay rights? is their a list?

and don't big corporations have an equalities act to adhere to anyway?
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Companies should treat everyone equally and employ the best person for the job. No discrimination of any kind.

Supporting gay rights or any other rights should not lead to positive discrimination. Equality is just that.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,581
    Forum Member

Why would they need to say it? Isn't that what normally happens?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    What is there to support about them any more than supporting straight people's rights?

There are sadly many countries where gay people don't have the same rights as straights.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big corporations will do what

a) has greatest potential for income maximisation
    b) has greatest potential for reputational gain.
    c) has greatest potential for advertising at least cost.

Why wouldn't they get involved in "Pride" or anything else that achieved one or more of those objectives?

The fact they while they are sponsoring a parade in London they are also shovelling money into the pockets of leaders of countries where gays are persecuted is surely a matter for the organisers to form a view on having listened to their constituent organisations?

If they are all happy to take that sponsorship/support whilst ignoring the bigger picture that's their choice...just as it was the choice of people many years ago to continue to give their business to corporations heavily involved with the apartheid regime in SA.

Being LGBT or anything else no more makes every one who is that of one outlook, opinion or political persuasion than having freckles or being straight or being a woman does. I can see the thinking that because one element of your life makes you part of a once oppressed minority MIGHT give you a wider perspective on that aspect of your life...but it's neither certain nor compulsory.

Anymore than I believe LGBT bankers should have known and behaved better than their straight/female or freckled peers when they were mis-selling PPI, fixing exchange rates etc
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    There are sadly many countries where gay people don't have the same rights as straights.

Yes but we aren't one of them so it doesn't really make sense here. It's like if there was a "Straight Pride" march you wouldn't get it. Ok so you're gay or you're straight that's fine but what exactly about your sexual choices is there to be "proud" about? I understand the point of view but I just don't think it contributes much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    Yes but we aren't one of them so it doesn't really make sense here. It's like if there was a "Straight Pride" march you wouldn't get it. Ok so you're gay or you're straight that's fine but what exactly about your sexual choices is there to be "proud" about? I understand the point of view but I just don't think it contributes much.

The thread is about big corporations, and many of those will be multinationals.

And the gay movement can certainly be proud of what it has achieved.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the movement was all about equal rights for gays surely the fact big corporations are happy to be involved in that is a success, unless of course it is about something else.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    You will never have true equal rights until there is no need to ask the question. When it matters not a jot if the person is black or white, gay or straight, male or female. Because when we stop asking the question then it will be mean the question is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then they need to get themselves to an EU country ( while there still is an EU ) and claim asylum under the ECHR. How the bloke`s will be able to prove they are homosexual is anyone`s guess but I dare say Peter Mandelson would be happy to help out in that department.:D
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »

In the UK of 2015, there only seems to be two groups of people who won't stop talking about how important sexual orientation is, the anti-gay bigots and the minority of gay people who, as you say abuse their minority status for personal gain.

Society is getting better, problems won't end overnight but the progress has been swift in recent years.
    it's going too quickly for some and what they don't need is aggressive reactions to them. All it took to bring my elder relatives to change their mindsets was gentle persuasion via discussion and meeting gay people, rather than the extreme of people chanting "we're here, we're queer" getting in their faces. *

* I'll probably clarify this later as I'm on a phone at the moment. Basically; softly softly catchy monkey is preferable to some of the more aggressive campaigning we have seen. *Cough *Perer Tachell *cough*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    In the UK of 2015, there only seems to be two groups of people who won't stop talking about how important sexual orientation is, the anti-gay bigots and the minority of gay people who, as you say abuse their minority status for personal gain.

That would be a very tiny minority, if indeed it exists at all!
    Society is getting better, problems won't end overnight but the progress has been swift in recent years.
    it's going too quickly for some and what they don't need is aggressive reactions to them. All it took to bring my elder relatives to change their mindsets was gentle persuasion via discussion and meeting gay people, rather than the extreme of people chanting "we're here, we're queer" getting in their faces. *

* I'll probably clarify this later as I'm on a phone at the moment. Basically; softly softly catchy monkey is preferable to some of the more aggressive campaigning we have seen. *Cough *Perer Tachell *cough*

Well, we need both approaches. Peter Tatchell has done a hell of a lot for gay rights, as has Stonewall.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should companies support Gay Rights? No.

They should neither support nor oppose matters like this.

The people themselves can have their own opinion, but a company should not.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Companies should employ the best qualified person for the job regardless any other considerations and leave the politics to the politicians.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Should big corporations support gay rights? ".

what are gay rights? is their a list?

and don't big corporations have an equalities act to adhere to anyway?

I was just going to post same thing. Best person for job. Easy. Just have to make sure paperwork is robust to support decisions made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Should companies support Gay Rights? No.

They should neither support nor oppose matters like this.

The people themselves can have their own opinion, but a company should not.

Why shouldn't they? If they don't support equality, it suggests that they either oppose it or aren't bothered. Looks bad either way.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why shouldn't they? If they don't support equality, it suggests that they either oppose it or aren't bothered. Looks bad either way.

Surely equality is simply best person for job 'irrespective ' of whatever minority or indeed majority they come from. Pre - selection by attribute is the way many on line HR systems have gone. Managers doing pre selection without name/address/gender/ethnic origin. The reason being that bias is most likely at initial selection. As for sexual orientation who cares these days seriously.