Options

Why I like Marc

WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
Forum Member
✭✭
Note: I realize this is a long post. I could trim it a little but.. well.. if reading puts certain people off then perhaps that's a good thing. I make no apologies for that. ;-)

From his entrance into the BB house I thought Marc was a brilliant addition. A lot of housemates try to portray some public persona that they believe will maximize their chances of winning, effectively bull sh*tting the viewing public. What's worse is that much of it is so transparent as to be laughable, so we end up wishing we could do this and that to pull the rug from under their feet. That's the nature of the game. Enter Marc... :D

As time went on I think more and more viewers grew to like him as a housemate because of the way he stirred things up and stripped away the façades of a few of the biggest game players, but most would agree that as a person you certainly wouldn't want to live with him, because his antagonistic nature seemed to hold no bounds. However, the more we've seen of him, the more I think he'd make a good friend outside of the house. ...:o

When you're young it's natural to have insecurities, and we find consolation in our friends. We choose those who are amiable towards us because it's the path of least resistance, and we tend to derive our self-worth from the opinions of others. As you get older you tend to find your feet a little, realize your own idiosyncrasies and tend towards friendships based on mutual interests. By the time you're in your 30s, say, most people have discovered that blowing smoke up each other's arses stymies any hope of personal growth. What you really want is friends who will tell you straight how they think and feel about you, so that you might hope to better yourself. Adults (not overgrown children) derive their self-worth from within, not from without.

I'd be glad to have a friend like Marc because, for one thing, I'm not an egocentric baby who can't stand to see myself through anything but rose-tinted glasses. I'm a grown man who aspires towards the kind of wisdom that comes with age. I don't want to stop growing, so I relish every opportunity to learn or to better myself. And if and when somebody like Marc may choose to antagonise me with unfounded jibes I would happily laugh along, because I'm well aware of myself and can tell the difference between meaningful and meaningless conversation.

Anyway, that's just me. I realize I'm posting this thread from the bowels of Hades and I expect to be crucified for my opinions, so I welcome any and all comers. :cool:

Comments

• Options
    dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member
    Note: I realize this is a long post. I could trim it a little but.. well.. if reading puts certain people off then perhaps that's a good thing. I make no apologies for that. ;-)

From his entrance into the BB house I thought Marc was a brilliant addition. A lot of housemates try to portray some public persona that they believe will maximize their chances of winning, effectively bull sh*tting the viewing public. What's worse is that much of it is so transparent as to be laughable, so we end up wishing we could do this and that to pull the rug from under their feet. That's the nature of the game. Enter Marc... :D

As time went on I think more and more viewers grew to like him as a housemate because of the way he stirred things up and stripped away the façades of a few of the biggest game players, but most would agree that as a person you certainly wouldn't want to live with him, because his antagonistic nature seemed to hold no bounds. However, the more we've seen of him, the more I think he'd make a good friend outside of the house. ...:o

When you're young it's natural to have insecurities, and we find consolation in our friends. We choose those who are amiable towards us because it's the path of least resistance, and we tend to derive our self-worth from the opinions of others. As you get older you tend to find your feet a little, realize your own idiosyncrasies and tend towards friendships based on mutual interests. By the time you're in your 30s, say, most people have discovered that blowing smoke up each other's arses stymies any hope of personal growth. What you really want is friends who will tell you straight how they think and feel about you, so that you might hope to better yourself. Adults (not overgrown children) derive their self-worth from within, not from without.

I'd be glad to have a friend like Marc because, for one thing, I'm not an egocentric baby who can't stand to see myself through anything but rose-tinted glasses. I'm a grown man who aspires towards the kind of wisdom that comes with age. I don't want to stop growing, so I relish every opportunity to learn or to better myself. And if and when somebody like Marc may choose to antagonise me with unfounded jibes I would happily laugh along, because I'm well aware of myself and can tell the difference between meaningful and meaningless conversation.

Anyway, that's just me. I realize I'm posting this thread from the bowels of Hades and I expect to be crucified for my opinions, so I welcome any and all comers. :cool:

No, you could say mass, seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to choose my friends based on superficial things like what games console they own, but since turning 35 I've realised there are more important things to friendship, for example what kind of car they drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dialectic wrote: »
    No, you could say mass, seriously.

:D ..:p

I'm more of a town crier than a clergyman. :cool:

[Edit] By the way, you can trim a long quote down so that it's just the bit you want to address. Just saying. ;-)
  • Options
    loco_localoco_loca Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''We might not be educated, but you know what? We have life skills and how to treat other people." Words spoken by Aisleyne.

I have not been following the series but from what I gathered over the week it is a typical case of people banding together over a shared insecurity. What shows them up is their inability to handle conflicts with objectivity. Someone will pick a fight with him, he will defend himself, but the group will try and portray him as the one with a chip on the shoulder.

They go in trying to present themselves as a neutral but it is quite clear they have their bias.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D ..:p

I'm more of a town crier than a clergyman. :cool:

[Edit] By the way, you can trim a long quote down so that it's just the bit you want to address. Just saying. ;-)

Nah, that would curtail the sermonising. :p

''Just banter" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, that would curtail the sermonising. :p

''Just banter" :D

*Blows raspberry* :p

The reason I posted this 'homily' was because I'm tired of reading comments by FMs who dislike Marc that extend their loathing towards other FMs. They seem to imply that they find it incomprehensible that anyone could or would openly support him, and they question the moral fibre of anyone who "cannot see" why Marc would be despised. They imply that others must be blind, stupid or unscrupulous. I beg to differ is all. ;-)
  • Options
    sorifinsorifin Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I have never been able to watch the first week or so of BB because of how hyper and insincere the housemates are. Everyone is jockeying for position and finding their feet so I prefer to let them get on with it and see how the are when they finally settle in.

No sooner had I started to watch it when the 4 in 4 out scenario took place and it was like watching the first night again. I immediately took a dislike to Marc with his posturing and laddish behaviour and thought 'here we go, they've scraped the bowels of Ireland to find this gobshite to represent us as a nation'. He was brash, overbearing, etc. etc. until he settled in.

He's said a lot of things to annoy people but despite this the hms started to like him. I started to like him because despite his gob, I could see he cared about people. He struck up a friendship with Danny and often referred to him as his friend. He still cares about people, he can put differences behind him as he showed with Aislyene, despite her vitriol, he made friends with Helen in the bunker and didn't allow others opinion (Nikki and Brian) to affect that friendship. As soon as he went back into the house he reassured some of the housemates of their position, despite what Jack said about him when he was gone he didn't put him up for eviction but based it on the (unseen) interview.

I like his intelligence, his humour and his attitude. I'd like him as a friend.
  • Options
    Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he doesn't take himself seriously, knows it's an entertainment show, and exposes the fakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The reason I posted this 'homily' was because I'm tired of reading comments by FMs who dislike Marc that extend their loathing towards other FMs. They seem to imply that they find it incomprehensible that anyone could or would openly support him, and they question the moral fibre of anyone who "cannot see" why Marc would be despised. They imply that others must be blind, stupid or unscrupulous. I beg to differ is all. ;-)

Pray continue, I'm enjoying (in a self-flagellating way) the gospel to Marc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorifin wrote: »
    I have never been able to watch the first week or so of BB because of how hyper and insincere the housemates are. Everyone is jockeying for position and finding their feet so I prefer to let them get on with it and see how the are when they finally settle in.

No sooner had I started to watch it when the 4 in 4 out scenario took place and it was like watching the first night again. I immediately took a dislike to Marc with his posturing and laddish behaviour and thought 'here we go, they've scraped the bowels of Ireland to find this gobshite to represent us as a nation'. He was brash, overbearing, etc. etc. until he settled in.

He's said a lot of things to annoy people but despite this the hms started to like him. I started to like him because despite his gob, I could see he cared about people. He struck up a friendship with Danny and often referred to him as his friend. He still cares about people, he can put differences behind him as he showed with Aislyene, despite her vitriol, he made friends with Helen in the bunker and didn't allow others opinion (Nikki and Brian) to affect that friendship. As soon as he went back into the house he reassured some of the housemates of their position, despite what Jack said about him when he was gone he didn't put him up for eviction but based it on the (unseen) interview.

I like his intelligence, his humour and his attitude. I'd like him as a friend.

It's just a pity you username isn't seraphim instead of sorifin. ;-) Bless you for your post.
  • Options
    Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it's extremely childish:o:confused:

Ive come to realise the problem lies with those that can't see any other opinion besides there own, they must be right and everyone else must be wrong.....right......right?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pray continue, I'm enjoying (in a self-flagellating way) the gospel to Marc.

..And on the third day he wenteth into the bedroom and wrung the very daemons from his fellow housemates. But lo, the daemons were strong in number, and battled together to force Saint Marc back. And it was only through the strength of his own inner convictions that he stood firm against them... :cool:
  • Options
    hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    All very interesting! Marc has a real gift for connecting with people, it's true. He's made me laugh more than any other HM this series (but that's not saying much, let's be honest) and shown some astute and timely words of kindness and advice to other HMs on occaion. But he's also irritated me in equal measure and made me think he's a complete and utter machiavellian, egotistical, insincere, self-serving c*nt.
    He's a man's man I guess. I wouldn't trust him as a friend tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »
    All very interesting! Marc has a real gift for connecting with people, it's true. He's made me laugh more than any other HM this series (but that's not saying much, let's be honest) and shown some astute and timely words of kindness and advice to other HMs on occaion. But he's also irritated me in equal measure and made me think he's a complete and utter machiavellian, egotistical, insincere, self-serving c*nt.
    He's a man's man I guess. I wouldn't trust him as a friend tbh.

This is the problem with emotional reactions; You forget the good stuff. He can't be completely and utterly bad when you have witnessed the good. You have to weigh things up rather than focussing purely on what's presented at any given moment.

Incidentally, I had assumed you were male until now! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ..And on the third day he wenteth into the bedroom and wrung the very daemons from his fellow housemates. But lo, the daemons were strong in number, and battled together to force Saint Marc back. And it was only through the strength of his own inner convictions that he stood firm against them... :cool:

'The word becomes flesh' according to St. Marc's gospel is 'banter becomes a man in tight short pants'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The word becomes flesh' according to St. Marc's gospel is 'banter becomes a man in tight short pants'

:D ...And the Banter became a man in tight short pants, who dwelt among them, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only decent housemate from the Brother, full of grace and truth. Joe testified about Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who I see before me has a higher rank than the others, though they entered His house before Him'."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D ...And the Banter became a man in tight short pants, who dwelt among them, and we have seen his glory, glory

...not according to Aisleyne! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...not according to Aisleyne! :D:D

She was foolish to think the insinuation would bother him. We're talking about a guy who'd already once paused in the middle of a play fight with Danny, pulled a flannel out of his tiny shorts, mopped his brow with it then put it back! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She was foolish to think the insinuation would bother him. We're talking about a guy who'd already once paused in the middle of a play fight with Danny, pulled a flannel out of his tiny shorts, mopped his brow with it then put it back! :D

We could call it 'The Elstree Shroud'... :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could call it 'The Elstree Shroud'... :D:D

LOL! :D Eww..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note: Anyway, that's just me. I realize I'm posting this thread from the bowels of Hades and I expect to be crucified for my opinions, so I welcome any and all comers. :cool:

No hammer and nails here Joe, your opinion just about matches mine. He cuts through the BS, and that lot are too immature to handle it.
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be glad to have a friend like Marc because, for one thing, I'm not an egocentric baby who can't stand to see myself through anything but rose-tinted glasses.

I see. So anyone who wouldn't be happy to have a friend like Marc are egocentric babies?

Nice. Hope you two enjoy each other. Sounds like you're a perfect fit.
  • Options
    Esther_AspleyEsther_Aspley Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you, poke him with a stick when on Twitter, then you can have banter with him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EnricoIV wrote: »
    I see. So anyone who wouldn't be happy to have a friend like Marc are egocentric babies?

Nice. Hope you two enjoy each other. Sounds like you're a perfect fit.

*sigh* That is not what I said, nor what I was implying, but it is rather egocentric of you to make it about you. :p

What I meant is that I like to be challenged. Deconstructing one's ego is the path to liberation, let's say, and Marc is the type of person to help with that. If you are an egocentric baby then you definitely wouldn't appreciate that sort of friendship, that's for certain. But that does not imply that anyone who wouldn't want to be Marc's friend must be an egocentric baby! That would be a ridiculous sweeping statement, would it not?

I despair sometimes about the inability of some people to apply basic logic, or when people attempt to misapply it deliberately to try and meet their own needs. My head doesn't really have horns, you know? ;-)
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Very nice post Joe. Marc has been a superb housemate with many facets to his personality and has not been afraid to show who he is. He's taken more risks than anyone in there to give us an entertaining show. :)