Options

The issue with Vote to Evict

patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Firstly - I told you so!

I have been saying on here for weeks that it was impossible - logically impossible - for Marc to survive a straightforward vote to evict. Fans of Danny, Chloe, Christian, Jack, Harry, Ashleyne, Nikki and Brian B were salivating at the prospect of voting him out and fans of Joel and Nick were biding their time to see off the competition (though I think Joel and Nick's fans quite liked Marc, as a rule).

Frankly, I'm kind of relieved he's gone. He will always be a firm favourite for me as I love smart hms and he has made me laugh more than many I ever remember. He was, however, a product of the TOWIE generation and a foul-mouthed shit stirrer (a master of his craft - which you have to admire, but a shit stirrer nonetheless). I would be somewhat embarrassed by him as a winner; but delighted with him as a classic housemate in the making.

So to Vote to Evict. My main issue with vote to evict is the atmosphere it creates on here and, by extension, amongst the viewers of the show. It forces the approach to every single conversation in a negative direction.

When I liked Aaron, he was very divisive, when I liked Ashleigh she was very divisive - same with Marc. I like to post about the people I like. So I end up defending them against the naysayers. There was uproar when fans of other hms discussed voting Jale out; but isn't that exactly what's been going on all week in relation to Marc? Isn't that what HAS to happen with a Vote to Evict?

It's just negativity heaped on top of negativity; how bad can we make such and such look? If it was a vote to Save, the arguments would be, surely, more directed towards highlighting the positives of a hm and why they deserve a vote to save?

I don't know; life is very, very serious in my world and BB is supposed to be light-hearted entertainment. The Vote to Evict mentality surrounding the show is just mind-numbingly boring and unpleasant.

Comments

• Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    There is nothing wrong with vote to evict, in my opinion.

If Marc had survived then people would say VTE is the way to go, but since he was evicted VTE doesn't work!!!

It's a funny old game!
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly - I told you so!

I have been saying on here for weeks that it was impossible - logically impossible - for Marc to survive a straightforward vote to evict. Fans of Danny, Chloe, Christian, Jack, Harry, Ashleyne, Nikki and Brian B were salivating at the prospect of voting him out and fans of Joel and Nick were biding their time to see off the competition (though I think Joel and Nick's fans quite liked Marc, as a rule).

Frankly, I'm kind of relieved he's gone. He will always be a firm favourite for me as I love smart hms and he has made me laugh more than many I ever remember. He was, however, a product of the TOWIE generation and a foul-mouthed shit stirrer (a master of his craft - which you have to admire, but a shit stirrer nonetheless). I would be somewhat embarrassed by him as a winner; but delighted with him as a classic housemate in the making.

So to Vote to Evict. My main issue with vote to evict is the atmosphere it creates on here and, by extension, amongst the viewers of the show. It forces the approach to every single conversation in a negative direction.

When I liked Aaron, he was very divisive, when I liked Ashleigh she was very divisive - same with Marc. I like to post about the people I like. So I end up defending them against the naysayers. There was uproar when fans of other hms discussed voting Jale out; but isn't that exactly what's been going on all week in relation to Marc? Isn't that what HAS to happen with a Vote to Evict?

It's just negativity heaped on top of negativity; how bad can we make such and such look? If it was a vote to Save, the arguments would be, surely, more directed towards highlighting the positives of a hm and why they deserve a vote to save?

I don't know; life is very, very serious in my world and BB is supposed to be light-hearted entertainment. The Vote to Evict mentality surrounding the show is just mind-numbingly boring and unpleasant.

That's the theory, but anyone who observed this forum when VTS was in effect would tell you that the theory is a load of old bollocks.
  • Options
    Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    VTE works just fine. It rid us of marq and for that i will be forever grateful.
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    The problem with VTE is that it encourages fencesitters. People know now that if they are up for eviction..sit and be quiet for the week and there's not much chance they will go. Hell if I was on the show I would probably do it myself.

However, the downside of VTS is that if there is a housemate you really cannot stand (ie. Connor) it becomes impossible to get rid of them because despite being horrid...people keep them for the drama.

Having said that, I would rather be stuck with someone I hate than have a houseful of Chloe/Sams.
  • Options
    GrozzyGirlGrozzyGirl Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a long winded way of saying I'm not happy with the result. :o>:(:cry:
    I don't think the theory has any merit.

It should be vote to evict, that's the way it was devised. The person who people want to leave is the one to go.
    And last night the overwhelming number of people wanted to see the damaged and unpleasant Marc leave.
  • Options
    crisis3crisis3 Posts: 2,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VTE gets rid of dross like Marc long may it continue
  • Options
    HosaiHosai Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think some peoples hatred of Mark is clouding their judgements on this...vote to save is way better. It forces people to speak up and do stuff else they won't have enough fans to keep them in. VTE encourages people to stay quiet and sit around. It also means people like Chloe get 2nd/3rd place (her highlights will be fun).
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vote to evict is fine.
    Try not acting like a d'ckhead if you're worried about being evicted.
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who goes? You decide = VTE
    Who wins? You decide = VTS

I prefer it this way
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hosai wrote: »
    Think some peoples hatred of Mark is clouding their judgements on this...vote to save is way better. It forces people to speak up and do stuff else they won't have enough fans to keep them in. VTE encourages people to stay quiet and sit around. It also means people like Chloe get 2nd/3rd place (her highlights will be fun).

It is of no consequence who is 2nd or 3rd. It is only the winner who gets the money (hopefully)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »
    The problem with VTE is that it encourages fencesitters. People know now that if they are up for eviction..sit and be quiet for the week and there's not much chance they will go. Hell if I was on the show I would probably do it myself.

However, the downside of VTS is that if there is a housemate you really cannot stand (ie. Connor) it becomes impossible to get rid of them because despite being horrid...people keep them for the drama.

Having said that, I would rather be stuck with someone I hate than have a houseful of Chloe/Sams.

That's the thing, isn't it? I mean, look at the final line-up? I think it's far more legitimate for people to still be in there because enough people still want them in there. As I said, a more positive focus.
    GrozzyGirl wrote: »
    That's a long winded way of saying I'm not happy with the result. :o>:(:cry:
    I don't think the theory has any merit.

It should be vote to evict, that's the way it was devised. The person who people want to leave is the one to go.
    And last night the overwhelming number of people wanted to see the damaged and unpleasant Marc leave.

Clearly you didn't read the OP. I'm neither happy nor unhappy. The result was a 100% foregone conclusion. I'm happy Marc's not the winner, as I've said.

Bit in bold - not it is not the way it was devised.

Precisely. It leaves us with a final of cowardly dullards. Chloe 'call the police and accuse a taxi driver of abduction' becomes this defenceless little girl by crying and bitching under the duvet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you don't think there's people complaining about VTE because their fave has suffered under it? From my observations, it seems that most fans here don't really have a consistent principled stance on this, but moan and whinge when their fave loses out.
    Vote to evict is fine.
    Try not acting like a ******** if you're worried about being evicted.

And that's ultimately the pertinant point. whether any individual fan likes one system or another, the fact is that the HMs go in knowing what the system is, thus they have to be held responsible for how they fare under that system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't think there's people complaining about VTE because their fave has suffered under it? From my observations, it seems that most fans here don't really have a consistent principled stance on this, but moan and whinge when their fave loses out.

And that's ultimately the pertinant point. whether any individual fan likes one system or another, the fact is that the HMs go in knowing what the system is, thus they have to be held responsible for how they fare under that system.

I do. Vote to evict is a negative policy that intensifies hostility and leaves dullards radar-dodgers in the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do. Vote to evict is a negative policy that intensifies hostility and leaves dullards radar-dodgers in the final.

There's an argument for saying that it keeps the fence-sitters in (although, as I've said, those arguments all too often come from those who've just watched their fave get evicted under VTE - there's little more embarrassing here than to see someone affect a principled stance because they're pissed off that things didn't go the way they wanted).

And when you say it intensifies hostility, are you referring to among the viewers on here (as you stated in your OP)? If so, then take my word for it: that is bollocks. The forum was just as negative under VTS as it is under VTE. Face it, this show brings out some pretty unpleasant people and brings out the unpleasant side in lots of others, and it has nothing to do with the voting system. You need look no further than this week for evidence - most of the abuse on here was aimed at people who weren't even up for the vote, like Danny and Aisleyne.
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always preferred VTE. I never had an issue with many of the winners during the C4 years, even when I preferred other hms who usually still did well (top 3) anyway.
  • Options
    bluegroperbluegroper Posts: 11,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With characters like Marc they walk a fine line knowing when to wind people up when to back off. In Marc's case he just wouldn't back off and becomes uncomfortable for the HM's leading to full scale arguments and can look like harassment to the viewers.

Marc was never going to be safe up against 4 HM's in a VTE.

There are pros and cons for VTS and VTE the producers should mix it up from time to time. Put the whole house up in week 2 or 3 with a double eviction and VTS will usually clean out the dullards and fence sitters.
  • Options
    pepipoppepipop Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

All it takes is around 28%, or even less, of BB viewers to get Marc out, in a 4 way eviction.

If 72% of all viewers were Marc fans - some would not vote at all and others could in effect split their votes between the other 3, so in theory a 28% VTE would vote Marc out. This figure could be a lot less, depending on how many Marc fans actually voted at all.

It is even more pathetic when he was backed to win the entire show. :(
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always hated VTE.

How different would X Factor, BGT, Strictly, IAC be with a 'vote to remove'? BB being the only reality show to use a negative vote gets too many dullards stay to the end. Even a few BBs across the world have changed it to a save vote resulting in better hms getting further.

I don't know that C5 prefer though. If they preferred evict than why would they keep the save for CBB and if they prefer save why don't they change it. But they are using one for one and one for another.

Aaron wouldn't have won BB12 if it was VTE as he wouldn't have gotten to the final.
  • Options
    TheMatrixTheMatrix Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP a vote to evict and several up its near impossible. I did find it strange that they didn't freeze the vote , also that they brought Ash out first. If they have frozen the vote and had Marc in a head to head he would have stayed.
    The problem with a vote to evict is we lose all the entertaining ones, as in Adjoa, Jade and Marc, all any contestant has to do is sit not do much and don't draw attention to yourself and you slip under the radar.
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I liked Aaron, he was very divisive,t.

Is that the Aaron who sulked in the bathroom for days on end? Surely he won on looks.
    Vote to evict is fine.
    Try not acting like a d'ckhead if you're worried about being evicted.

Yes, be nice, do very little, don't start arguments - that way we can watch you sunbathing for 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    Yes, be nice, do very little, don't start arguments - that way we can watch you sunbathing for 6 weeks.
    No one is saying that.
    Act like a decent human being,have a laugh and enjoy yourself in what is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Acting like a dick only ever makes people think that you're a dick.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    VTE works just fine. It rid us of marq and for that i will be forever grateful.

Of yes a massive 'positive' for VTE being able to vote Marc out. Now BB is a game show it also allows the voters to join in the game and vote out the negative housemates of which Marc was one. It also enables tactical voting and why Ashleigh fans voted out Jale to save Ashleigh, even though she didn't win in the end.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what to think. I've always championed vote to save as it keeps the big personalities in. However, I think vote to save would only have been beneficial in the Channel 4 years as the big characters back then were much better than the ones we have today. If it was vote to save, Marc would have made it to the final. Last year, Helen would have made it quite far on a vote to save even without her pass to the final. Then there's Connor. I'm not saying all of the big characters from the Channel 4 years were saints, but they were more bearable and a bit like pantomime villains. These days we get people like Connor, Helen, Marc etc who are all nasty people and completely dominate the show. If you're a nice person, I don't mind you dominating the show. Charley in BB8 for example had a foul mouth on her, but she was just a pantomime villain. These days we get seriously horrible people, and a vote to save would ensure they're kept in longer which I wouldn't want. Vote to evict I think is more appropriate these days.
  • Options
    CheddarcakesCheddarcakes Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A negative vote will always lead to exciting , polarizing and controversial characters going and the boring arse kissers and fence sitters staying

Just look at the likely final 4 - Cristian *yawn* , Chloe *boohoo I am too normal me*, Danny the drip and Joel the only one who has spoken up but honestly hasn't been a tenth as entertaining as Marc was

Worst BB in living memory. Total fail.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer it to stay as vote to evict, if it was switched to vote to save we would have a house full of Conors and Helens (and probably no viewers).

I do get the point about in a VTE there is more negativity when referring to the eviction and the VTS threads show more positivity, but there is still an abundance of negativity in the VTS series.

Maybe they should just alter the contracts slightly and say that BB can remove a HM at any time if they become invisible or don't get involved :cool: