Options

I work as a revenue protection officer on the railway. Ask me anything.

Comments

• Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    What was wrong with "conductor"?

Conductors and revenue officers are two different things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Why are most of you arrogant pricks?

We're not really. We have to be firm and authoritative when dealing with fare evaders but that's just what the job is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Everyday my local train is full of people sitting in First Class who haven't paid for the privilege. Why are the revenue protection officers not doing their job?

This morning I issued 12 penalty fares to people who were sitting in first class when they shouldn't have been. I'm usually on commuter trains but we can't be everywhere all the time.

If you have a daily grievance with this I suggest contacting the train operator and informing them of the service that's a problem .. then they can send revenue officers to deal with that train until the problem subsides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    As the rail network and train operating companies have been privatised, why does fare evasion remain a criminal offence? Surely it should now be a civil matter like not paying the correct fare.

Because evading your fare is stealing. Doesn't matter if the company you're stealing from is state owned or private.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    Our job is to prevent fare evasion. How would you feel if you paid £4000 for a yearly ticket but then everyone around you was just boarding the train without paying their way?

So your job is for the benefit of paying passengers? :D

From what I see the rail companies don't give a shit about passengers. The management are only interested in targets and making money, and the staff - especially the platform staff - are lazy fkrs who try to get away with doing as little as possible. The people in the ticket booths are invariably miserable bastards.

And as I said earlier - the ticket inspectors are for the most part half-witted arseholes. Not much different to parking wardens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We're not really. We have to be firm and authoritative when dealing with fare evaders but that's just what the job is.

And here we have it.

In your eyes, anyone who doesn't have a ticket is deliberately evading their fare, and deserves to be treated with contempt.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    And here we have it.

In your eyes, anyone who doesn't have a ticket is deliberately evading their fare, and deserves to be treated with contempt.

Just putting it out there, but why else would you not have a ticket?

If you'd boarded at a station where there was no machine/office then you should seek out the guard to buy one.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    So your job is for the benefit of paying passengers? :D

From what I see the rail companies don't give a shit about passengers. The management are only interested in targets and making money, and the staff - especially the platform staff - are lazy fkrs who try to get away with doing as little as possible. The people in the ticket booths are invariably miserable bastards.

And as I said earlier - the ticket inspectors are for the most part half-witted arseholes. Not much different to parking wardens.
    Nicely summarised Sir. :cool:
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because evading your fare is stealing. Doesn't matter if the company you're stealing from is state owned or private.

Yes, but if I was caught shoplifting at my local supermarket it wouldn't be Tesco who would have me hauled in front of the Magistrates Court, it would be the police/CPS.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    How do you get on with sleepers?
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do wasps wear rugby shirts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    Just putting it out there, but why else would you not have a ticket?

If you'd boarded at a station where there was no machine/office then you should seek out the guard to buy one.

The vast majority of commuter trains don't have guards - or 'train managers' as they laughably call them nowadays.
  • Options
    woodrowwoodrow Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Learning to drive a train takes more than a year. You'd be surprised how much train drivers have to know.

I wish they would teach them how to keep to a timetable. Not many know how to do that.:(
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is the best way to evade a fare without getting caught and prosecuted?
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »

Make sure you are on the train where the "revenue protection officer" is on his laptop answering questions on the net? :D
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you are on the train where the "revenue protection officer" is on his laptop answering questions on the net? :D

Of course. It's so simple really. :D
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did train fares get too expensive....

I love train travel, but £25 return from hull to Scarborough....**** off.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »

hide in the toilet
    or knock on the toilet door when it's occupied and say in a loud gruff voice "tickets please!" the poor person inside doing a poo will hand his ticket out without looking who it is just to get them to go away and leave them to finish their bowel movement in peace.
  • Options
    GabbitasGabbitas Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    NO
    NO
    NO
    :(

You try to help people... :(
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claire Balding bad idea...??
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many times must a man look up before he can see the sky?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the difference between a duck?
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'ask me anything' reminds me of a famous thread on 4chan - something like :

I'm a 13 year old girl - ask me anything

> what's it like to be a 50 year old single bloke

it got more profane . . .
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people have you thrown off a train?
  • Options
    randomelementrandomelement Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Why do different companies have different rules. SWT and Great Western seem to allow people to buy tickets on the train if you talk to the Guard after getting on the train, but I've seen a TV program about GNER and you received a pently fair straight away. This seems inconsitant and confusing to passengers from other regions if travelling on to a GNER train for example.