Options

What's going to happen to Greece

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    They're dancing & celebrating around Athens tonight. They are 360 billion in debt, the banks are almost out of money, old folks have had their pensions halved, and people are going hungry.

What are they celebrating???

Being without any sense of reason?
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    That's what i thought Bob.I guess most of them are staying up as so many of them don't have a job to go to today.
    I hear talk of some kind of 'emergency relief fund' for them now.
    What a shower!.
    If i were a young Greek.I'd be getting a one way ticket on a bus to the UK today!.
    That's all we need!.:(.

Aye.
    How can you you have a single Currency across a whole Continent? Can the likes of Portugal, Ireland or Greece have a GDP & compete with the output of a powerhouse like Germany?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Could be :-D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    They are up late celebrating a catastrophe.:confused:

Indeed. Who knew the collective IQ in Greece was so low.

On the news there was one fool saying that "this wasn't a victory just for the people of Greece but for people throughout Europe". Did he include those Europeans whose tax money has been pissed away into the Greek black hole, never to be seen again?

I doubt too many other Europeans are happy at the Greeks essentially saying "yeah, thanks for the 300 billion. We know we're a corrupt country riddled with cronyism and tax dodgers but up yours, you ain't getting a penny from us or any reforms. We just want more 'loans' which we've no intention of repaying".

Well Greece has made its bed so it can ******* well lie in it.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    greece borrowed rhe money so they should pay it all back. if they want to be in the euro club they have to abide by the rules. otherwise go back to their own drachma and start collecting taxes and running an economy properly like theyshould have been doing all along ......not having northern europe and the germans subsidise them and letting syriza play games.[/QUOT

Leaving aside that its virtually certain Greece will remain within the corrupt EU
    and the UK will be among those lumbered with paying their debt - It was suggested on the radio that among reasons for Greece and its debt was that the corrupt EU provided huge funds intended to be spent on updating the Greek fishing fleet but instead was spent with Greek owners and others involved in buying expensive Mercedes and BMWs.

I remember watching a documentary about Greece a few years ago when it first started to go wrong for them.My memory might not be so good.But i distinctly remember a bit about how, when Greece joined the Euro they got loads of cheap (German funded) credit.People rushed out to buy BMW X5's Mercs,Porsches etc.
    Germany was happy as it oiled the wheels of their vast manufacturing industry,and Greece was happy with cheap credit and a land of milk and honey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

I know they're laid back people.But this is just some kind of mass insanity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye.
    How can you you have a single Currency across a whole Continent? Can the likes of Portugal, Ireland or Greece have a GDP & compete with the output of a powerhouse like Germany?

It's all gone Pete Tong!.:p
    It makes about as much sense as the benefits available in the UK compared to Romania.

Now(half serious) talk of Germany leaving the Eurozone!.:D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    And that will help how ?

They can make money from the blood of virgins.

edit: sorry, I misread.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was already confirmed when they elected the hardcore lefty Syriza party into government, led by ex-communist student activists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »

I remember watching a documentary about Greece a few years ago when it first started to go wrong for them.My memory might not be so good.But i distinctly remember a bit about how, when Greece joined the Euro they got loads of cheap (German funded) credit.People rushed out to buy BMW X5's Mercs,Porsches etc.
    Germany was happy as it oiled the wheels of their vast manufacturing industry,and Greece was happy with cheap credit and a land of milk and honey.

I believe many of these beemers & mercs ply their trade as Taxis on Corfu now :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ****ing good for them! I only hope we have the balls to follow

They'll go back to their original currency, the drachma

Your grasp of the fundamentals seems to be on a par with the average Greek 'no' voter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all gone Pete Tong!.:p
    It makes about as much sense as the benefits available in the UK compared to Romania.

Now(half serious) talk of Germany leaving the Eurozone!.:D

Germany IS the Eurozone mate :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Who knew the collective IQ in Greece was so low.

On the news there was one fool saying that "this wasn't a victory just for the people of Greece but for people throughout Europe". Did he include those Europeans whose tax money has been pissed away into the Greek black hole, never to be seen again?

I doubt too many other Europeans are happy at the Greeks essentially saying "yeah, thanks for the 300 billion. We know we're a corrupt country riddled with cronyism and tax dodgers but up yours, you ain't getting a penny from us or any reforms. We just want more 'loans' which we've no intention of repaying".

Well Greece has made its bed so it can ******* well lie in it.

That about sums it all up perfectly.For such a small country,with such a glorious and proud past.They haven't half made an arse of themselves.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm guessing this is a form of mass protest against five years of austerity. It's their way of saying "We've had enough of this", even though they're still in huge trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was already confirmed when they elected the hardcore lefty Syriza party into government, led by ex-communist student activists.

Indeed.They do seem to have a Russell Brand type mentality about them.:p
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really. If the choice for Greece is between being screwed and being screwed, why not choose the option that allows them to at least retain some measure of national dignity?

The money they are being loaned is overwhelmingly going straight back to foreign financial institutions not national spending by Greece on Greeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I believe many of these beemers & mercs ply their trade as Taxis on Corfu now :-D

HeHe!.Now you say that......
    I wonder what the people on the islands think of all of this?.I'm guessing they've been shielded from the worst of this mayhem so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    Not really. If the choice for Greece is between being screwed and being screwed, why not choose the option that allows them to retain some measure of national dignity?

The money they are being loaned is overwhelmingly going straight back to foreign financial institutions not national spending by Greece on Greeks.

We'll see how 'dignified' they are when the banking system collapses.

Pride comes before a fall and the Greeks are about to fall an exceptionally long way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany IS the Eurozone mate :-D

Damn right there Bob.:p
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are they celebrating???

Oh It's likely the poor folks you seen celebrating who told the IMF and their super rich billionare share holders
    to stick extra loans with extreme austerity attached for the poorest greek citizens up their asses im sure the
    middle and upper classes in greece will be crying tonight as well they wanted the opposite :D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Multiple threads about it clogging up DS

For a almost 40 year old film it's getting talked about a lot.

Oh God not a bloody remake is it.

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is a form of mass protest against five years of austerity. It's their way of saying "We've had enough of this", even though they're still in huge trouble.

Very true.I wonder what the rate of emmigration from Greece is just now.I have to be honest and say i'd be offski asap.It is like a failed state.I feel sorry for the few that have paid their many many taxes and played ball over the years.Compared to the ones who made up their own rules and have got away with taxation murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Oh It's likely the poor folks you seen celebrating who told the IMF and their super rich billionare share holders
    to stick extra loans with extreme austerity attached for the poorest greek citizens up their asses im sure the
    middle and upper classes in greece will be crying tonight as well they wanted the opposite :D

'Extreme austerity'? Like having a realistic retirement age in line with other European countries or cutting less than 10% of the defence budget?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HeHe!.Now you say that......
    I wonder what the people on the islands think of all of this?.I'm guessing they've been shielded from the worst of this mayhem so far.

Away from the tourist hotspots, many are pretty poor. We went to an island called Spetses a few year ago & they're were no cars on the place. Horse & cart etc.
    They probably don't even know what's going on tonight?? :-(
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    stick extra loans with extreme austerity attached for the poorest greek citizens up their asses

That may be the case, but when they realise nobody will be prepared to loan Greece even a bag of peanuts in future, the mood may change.