Options

loud annoying children in restaurants ..

Comments

• Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes! I thought holding your cutlery like pens was the correct way!

:o:o:o
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    'Should' being the operative word. We all have different standards and ways of doing things. I could observe a parent in action for an hour and give them plenty of tips/things I don't like, as I'm sure every single one of us could, doesn't mean any of us are doing it right. People are free to do as they please and bring up their kids as they please.

I personally wouldn't let my kids get away with it, but nor do I go to a restaurant on an afternoon - at the weekend - for some lunch expecting piece and quiet. It's a bit like buying an house next to the airport then complaining about the noise.

Go when you know the kids will be at school, or shut up and deal with it.

Firstly, see above.
    Secondly, I never said I condone the behaviour, so what did I say in my first post exactly that could allow you to think I'm selfish? I'm not even going to ask why it would make me a dreadful person because that's just ridiculous.

If you go out to eat on a Sunday afternoon, expect it to be packed with families. If you don't like it, stay at home.

I think we can agree that a parent is "doing it wrong" if their kids can't sit in a restaurant without annoying other diners. Maybe instead of other people avoiding going out to eat, it's the parents who can't keep their kids under some semblance of control that should. At least until they have taught them what behaviour is acceptable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Well I suppose you weren't the only one who wanted to eat there and as they were paying customers too, had as much right to be there. Go somewhere without families if it bothers you so much.If you had gone somewhere children aren't and not deliberately put yourself in that position, you wouldn't be feeling like this.....oh wait maybe you want something to moan at on hereto do with parents or families.

Actually looking around i could see a few other people who looked less than happy at the kids behaviour.
    As for going somewhere else, i've eaten at this particular branch on many occasions (usually at the weekend) and this is the first time that i've encountered a situation like that there.
    I have nothing against parents or families, but on this particular occasion the presence of half a dozen kids running around did actually spoil my enjoyment of a meal that i was looking forward to.
    If i had wanted to be surrounded by kids i'd have gone to Pizza Hut or McDonalds!
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I complained last night about the children last night in a restaurant

We were put between two families with six under fives. They were making so much noise that we couldn't hear herself speak. We were literally shouting over the table

When it interferes with my meal then something should be done. We love the food there - but something should be done

The restaurant was apologetic but why can't adults keep control their kids.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Yes, it is. If you peace and quiet eat at home. It really is that simple.

I disagree. If you want to let your kids shout and run around instead of eating their dinner, then stay at home, It really is that simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Should' being the operative word. We all have different standards and ways of doing things. I could observe a parent in action for an hour and give them plenty of tips/things I don't like, as I'm sure every single one of us could, doesn't mean any of us are doing it right. People are free to do as they please and bring up their kids as they please.

I personally wouldn't let my kids get away with it, but nor do I go to a restaurant on an afternoon - at the weekend - for some lunch expecting piece and quiet. It's a bit like buying an house next to the airport then complaining about the noise.

Go when you know the kids will be at school, or shut up and deal with it.

It's that attitude that leads to situations where children are brought up to have no consideration for anyone else.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree. If you want to let your kids shout and run around instead of eating their dinner, then stay at home, It really is that simple.

The world is full of these people that think everything is someones elses problem, Okay people aren't asking for victorian seen and not heard, But there's a level of acceptable behaviour and if children do not meet that they shouldn't be allowed to disturb others by being there.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its lazy parenting . and its a british thing. ive been on cross channel ferries about 6 times in the last few years.it was very noticeable that the only children who were running around screaming, were British. French children were sitting quietly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's the same here in Ireland. Lots of parents who think it's okay to let their children disturb everyone in restaurants and do nothing to keep them quiet or make them stay in their seats. It's awful, but at this stage I automatically groan inside when I see a family with young children heading for a table near me. Often they're fine, but often they're allowed shout at the top of their voices while the baby bashes his spoon repeatedly off the table etc etc.
  • Options
    louisa320louisa320 Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    all i wanted was to be able to enjoy my lunch in one of my favourite places to eat, but the first half an hour was spoilt by a bunch of annoying loud children, whose parents seemed oblivious.
    i was so tempted to say something either to them or the manager. i just wanted some peace while i ate my salad. Is that too much to ask ?

Were you the "perfect" child then i take it? The one that never made a noise?

What did you expect the parents or manager to do "if" you had mentioned you wanted to eat your salad in peace? Do you think they would have gagged said children? You are rather patheitc!
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,032
    Forum Member
    I prefer the ones that run around. A subtle leg out as they run around the tables makes me feel good as they go flying. Then the parents can say "see, I told you you'd get hurt if you run around" and actually make them sit down.

I suggest a dropkick to those sitting down but still making noise.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teaching children to behave correctly in public is part of being a good parent.

Having said that it is difficult to make them behave without incident all the time. Which is why you should take them to 'child-friendly' places whilst training them and then only to the nicer type of places when they are able to cope.

I'd say they should be able to behave correctly by the time they are 6 or 7. Any older than that and they should understand basic manners and 'inside voice' instructions.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing worse is when a parent says "Behave timothy or the man will tell you off!" No I ****ing wont not my job >.<
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually looking around i could see a few other people who looked less than happy at the kids behaviour.
    As for going somewhere else, i've eaten at this particular branch on many occasions (usually at the weekend) and this is the first time that i've encountered a situation like that there.
    I have nothing against parents or families, but on this particular occasion the presence of half a dozen kids running around did actually spoil my enjoyment of a meal that i was looking forward to.
    If i had wanted to be surrounded by kids i'd have gone to Pizza Hut or McDonalds!

In your OP you said they were loud and annoying, nothing about them running around, now they were running around.
    There's a big difference in being an intolerant person, who just resents the presence of kids, to kids running around in a restaurant and you then being quite rightly fed up. I don't think they should be running around in such a place at all, if that's what they were doing, that is totally inconsiderate of the parents,.If they were loud, but not misbehaving-tough, again-find somewhere kids are not.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Nobody who eats salad deserves peace

Also people who use i in sentences......>:(
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Nobody who eats salad deserves peace
    And if there is any celery involved then it's a matter of utmost hypocrisy.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because i didn't want to come across as a grumpy old man, and because experience teaches me that most parents believe that their children are akin to angels and any suggestion that you don't find them as adorable as they do makes you abnormal.
    Also they had finished their meal, so i was hopeful that they would be leaving.

Exactly. We're all supposed to love everybodys' little darlings as if they're our own.

When the truth is I find 1 in a 100 adorable, the remaining 99% being either nondescript/vile/rude/offensive.
  • Options
    blackcat1blackcat1 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    The only thing worse is when a parent says "Behave timothy or the man will tell you off!" No I ****ing wont not my job >.<

Haha - my thoughts exactly and I actually said words to that effect to a couple of customers just before I retired ( and I didnt care anymore ;-))
    The looks I got were priceless :)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Thing is, we don't actually expect you to, it's just a bit of good cop / bad cop psychology we use on them. ;-)
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yikes! I thought holding your cutlery like pens was the correct way!

It makes for an easier grip!

:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I hate that. And I'm sure if I actually did tell the child off, it would lead to all sorts of issues!
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Whilst there is nothing wrong with kids in restaurants, I would expect their parents to help them understand that it's not a playground, keep their voices down and be aware that it's a public place to be enjoyed by everyone. Some parents however just don't do this and just don't care about anyone else's enjoyment except their own.

Saying that there are also some people who think kids should be seen but not heard, an unrealistic and archaic view IMHO.
    Very eloquently put. Agree with this 100 per cent. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Thing is, we don't actually expect you to, it's just a bit of good cop / bad cop psychology we use on them. ;-)
    I hate that. And I'm sure if I actually did tell the child off, it would lead to all sorts of issues!

It's a good job it isn't meant literally then. See above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It's a good job it isn't meant literally then. See above.

Then don't point at me and say "the lady will tell you off". Why don't people use somebody in their group rather than a random stranger?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then don't point at me and say "the lady will tell you off". Why don't people use somebody in their group rather than a random stranger?

Because "the lady" or "the man" represents the authority of the establishment in the psychological warfare we have with our children in order to have them behave and not cause other adults to become incensed with outrage at the ruin of their "dining experience"

We don't really expect you to tell them off. You'd get chinned if you did, you know that. :D