Options

Cleo and Pete

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
Forum Member
Watched Hollyoaks the last two days and both nights, I was creeped out by Pete and Cleo especially when he said to her tonight he wanted to "get reaccquainted". I thought it was so creepy and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that

Comments

• Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to look away, it is so disturbing.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Purple. wrote: »
    I have to look away, it is so disturbing.

I've had to look away from pretty much every scene Pete and Cleo have had alone together, it turns my stomach.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    I've had to look away from pretty much every scene Pete and Cleo have had alone together, it turns my stomach.

Isn't that the point though? He's a paedophile who has brainwashed one of his victims into believing their relationship is not abusive, but is completely normal and built on forbidden love.

It's a compete copycat of Tony and Whitney in EE, and whilst it turns my stomach it's actually one of HO better storylines at least it's interesting.

The Robbie / Nancy shit is actually insulting to viewers
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Isn't that the point though? He's a paedophile who has brainwashed one of his victims into believing their relationship is not abusive, but is completely normal and built on forbidden love.

It's a compete copycat of Tony and Whitney in EE, and whilst it turns my stomach it's actually one of HO better storylines at least it's interesting.

The Robbie / Nancy shit is actually insulting to viewers

It's nothing like that storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    It's nothing like that storyline.

It's definitely VERY similar. A historic case of child abuse brought to the fore by the reappearance of the abuser. I seem to remember Whitney being abused by Tony, her 'mothers' BF and him convincing her that he loved her and that they would one day be a real life couple. Is that not what we're seeing with Cleo?
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Isn't that the point though?

Guess so, I've just never really had that reaction before. I mean obviously I've been appalled at characters before, especially paedophiles, but never felt physically sickened.
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I thought it was going to be more of him grooming her back into a relationship with him. I guess similar to Tony and Whitney's relationship but she seems aware enough to know it's not right (even if it is for the wrong reasons, she doesn't see it as abuse but a betrayal of her mum). But it looks like it's turning into more of him blackmailing her into the relationship again.

The end of the E4 episode tonight I thought was really well done, what with the tear falling as the door slammed. The girl who plays Cleo is starting to up her game.

Has anyone worked out yet how long Pete has been away for? So how old Cleo was when he started abusing her
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be more of him grooming her back into a relationship with him. I guess similar to Tony and Whitney's relationship but she seems aware enough to know it's not right (even if it is for the wrong reasons, she doesn't see it as abuse but a betrayal of her mum). But it looks like it's turning into more of him blackmailing her into the relationship again.

The end of the E4 episode tonight I thought was really well done, what with the tear falling as the door slammed. The girl who plays Cleo is starting to up her game.

Has anyone worked out yet how long Pete has been away for? So how old Cleo was when he started abusing her

Creeps me out to think about it hit I'd guess it like this. Porches is want to be 25? Cleo 17? Porcha was being abused until 15 at least. So that's 10 years ago. She left at somepoint with Celean to sort her eating issue out, maybe 18 then? So....7 years ago? Maybe when she left he started on Cleopatra...which would mean 10 or 11??
    Which would explain her not really seeing it's abuse. To young to realise at the time then growing up thinking it's normal?

Shudders!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Creeps me out to think about it hit I'd guess it like this. Porches is want to be 25? Cleo 17? Porcha was being abused until 15 at least. So that's 10 years ago. She left at somepoint with Celean to sort her eating issue out, maybe 18 then? So....7 years ago? Maybe when she left he started on Cleopatra...which would mean 10 or 11??
    Which would explain her not really seeing it's abuse. To young to realise at the time then growing up thinking it's normal?

Shudders!!

The actor playing Pete is very established and has form for playing bad 'uns on Welsh TV. He played a violent loan shark on Pobol Y Cwn who had the same first and last name as me.....even more disturbed to see him as a paedo now!
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Porsche said it was around 10 years ago & she's 25 so she would've been 15 at the time. Cleo I'm imagining younger than that since she's only 17 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor playing Pete is very established and has form for playing bad 'uns on Welsh TV. He played a violent loan shark on Pobol Y Cwn who had the same first and last name as me.....even more disturbed to see him as a paedo now!

Although I now live in Glasgow I'm a welsh lass I know him well from TV. This SL though really creeps me out because of the nature of his nastiness.

Yuk!
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh 'Pete' is the kind of man that fits into that 'paedo' category to me. On the largish side, builder, mid 40's (I assume!?), etc.

Whereas Tony in EE was younger, & dare I say more nicer looking so people might have thought Whitney had a crush on him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Tbh 'Pete' is the kind of man that fits into that 'paedo' category to me. On the largish side, builder, mid 40's (I assume!?), etc.

Whereas Tony in EE was younger, & dare I say more nicer looking so people might have thought Whitney had a crush on him.

There was a well known case on Cardiff (well to those of us who went to Radyr Comp anyways) of a gang of human traffickers, which Tony in EE I think was hinted to be doing to. The reason it was well known was because one of the lad was in the year above me.he was like 23 when they caught them. Young, good looking....scum. Not to mention the recent case of the disgusting shamed "rock" star from our neck of the woods -shudders-.

Takes all sorts which is what the soaps have shown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »

But Pete isn't a dirty old man either, he's relatively nice looking, caring and seemingly protective of the girls he's helped raise. He does a good job at masking his perversions with the facade of his fatherly love for them.

He a master manipulator, and he has Renee, and all the McQueens wrapped around his little finger which is actually a good sign of just how good he is at what he does.

Pete has a kind face and seems a decent enough bloke from the outside. Like many sex offenders in the real world, he's not the kind of monster many people assume paedophiles to look like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Pete isn't a dirty old man either, he's relatively nice looking, caring and seemingly protective of the girls he's helped raise. He does a good job at masking his perversions with the facade of his fatherly love for them.

He a master manipulator, and he has Renee, and all the McQueens wrapped around his little finger which is actually a good sign of just how good he is at what he does.

Pete has a kind face and seems a decent enough bloke from the outside. Like many sex offenders in the real world, he's not the kind of monster many people assume paedophiles to look like.

What I don't get is after ALL the shit they've gone through they don't stick by Porsha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's definitely VERY similar. A historic case of child abuse brought to the fore by the reappearance of the abuser. I seem to remember Whitney being abused by Tony, her 'mothers' BF and him convincing her that he loved her and that they would one day be a real life couple. Is that not what we're seeing with Cleo?

It's a similar storyline but in no way a copycat of the EE one. With Tony and Whitney it was just him and her but in this storyline Pete abused Porscha but she eventually got too old for him so he moved on to the younger sister.

I don't remember Tony going after Bianca's other kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a similar storyline but in no way a copycat of the EE one. With Tony and Whitney it was just him and her but in this storyline Pete abused Porscha but she eventually got too old for him so he moved on to the younger sister.

Didn't he go after her mates though?
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Obviously its the step father abusing his step daughter but the relationship looks very different. Whitney was desperate for the relationship to continue, Cleo doesn't want to go there. She's being blackmailed into continuing the relationship, she's not blinded by 'love' as Whitney was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    Didn't he go after her mates though?

Whitney's mates? I don't remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are more similarities than differences. But ok maybe not a total copycat.
  • Options
    theiceman2014theiceman2014 Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney's mates? I don't remember.

It was Lauren Branning who he targeted after Whitney got too old for him and it was when Lauren was played by the original actress.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    It's a gross & nasty storyline, but that's the point and it's saved by it's actors who are doing an excellent job with some very heavy material. Unlike others in the cast...
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is with soaps if they wrote a man going after actual children it would be too much for audiences to take. Young teenagers is probably the limit.

With Pete though it isn't just about Porsche and Cleo being underage. He also seems to have manipulated Celine. Perhaps because she rejected him, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    It's a gross & nasty storyline, but that's the point and it's saved by it's actors who are doing an excellent job with some very heavy material. Unlike others in the cast...

Love that point if view. You've the sense riser although it's vile it's got a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    The thing is with soaps if they wrote a man going after actual children it would be too much for audiences to take. Young teenagers is probably the limit.

With Pete though it isn't just about Porsche and Cleo being underage. He also seems to have manipulated Celine. Perhaps because she rejected him, I don't know.

I agree though after the Ben/Stella violent abuse SL I did wonder how far they could/would push it.