Options

Victoria Derbyshire's New BBC Show

Comments

• Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Surely the BBC would save more money by simulcasting the News channel on BBC2 (as they have in the past) rather than setting up a completely new programme with all the expense that entails ? If - as they say - the target is on-line then they should limit it to on-line.

The point is I think they want to get rid of the News Channel, so I think they are quite deliberately trashing the brand so no one watches.

If you want 'My partner is gay' type discussion you are going to tune in to Kyle on ITV. You are never going to think of looking at the News Channel for that type of viewing, so it is guaranteed you will not gain any new viewers, and guaranteed you will lose people who want news to Sky.

A bit like when a train company wants to close a service, but isn't allowed- so schedules two trains a day- one at 6.30 am, and the other at 11 pm, then says 'No one uses this service. Please can we close it?'
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which rather begs the question why did they start the News channel (News 24) in the first place ? The ITN News channel was a complete disaster.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    They ( the BBC ) want a news channel, but they are having to put up with massive budgetary cuts that have been imposed on them, intentionally, by the government.

The license fee was frozen in 2010, what remains is being top-sliced so they have to give a significant percentage to rival broadcasters and yesterday it was announced that the BBC will have to pay for the tv licences of the over 75s. The over 75s thing alone will cost them £750,000,000.

It's coming at them from all angles, to cut them off at the knees, in order to make them less relevant.

That appears to be what the government want to do and they are determined to succeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are only paying for the ''free'' licence for two years - the Tory pledge expires in 2020 and there is no commitment beyond then (unless the BBC volunteer to pay it which seems unlikely). Don't forget they will have an increased TV licence from next year and save £15 million a year on the broadband roll-out (which should never have involved BBC money as it's a commercial operation).Tony Hall is arguing that financially the BBC will actually be better off - that's including his 1,000 job cuts of course.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ( the BBC ) want a news channel, but they are having to put up with massive budgetary cuts that have been imposed on them, intentionally, by the government.

The license fee was frozen in 2010, what remains is being top-sliced so they have to give a significant percentage to rival broadcasters and yesterday it was announced that the BBC will have to pay for the tv licences of the over 75s. The over 75s thing alone will cost them £750,000,000.

It's coming at them from all angles, to cut them off at the knees, in order to make them less relevant.

That appears to be what the government want to do and they are determined to succeed.

Anything that strangles them and reduces their unfair dominance is a good thing. Lets see how popular the BBC is if it had to fend for itself. Or better still, let their fans pay for it and let us who don't need/ want it keep our money.
  • Options
    psmpsm Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I do wonder what the 'don't want the BBC brigade' would do if all BBC services, including Radio and the whole of BBC website, disappeared.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psm wrote: »
    I do wonder what the 'don't want the BBC brigade' would do if all BBC services, including Radio and the whole of BBC website, disappeared.

Well, for a start they wouldn't be taking threads off-topic with their ant-BBC posts
  • Options
    SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psm wrote: »

I would have a cup of tea. Nothing the BBC produce is essential to my life.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the Beeb get so much dislike because of the way they treat people over the TV Licence.

Treating people like criminals and having detector vans was very draconian.

Especially when you see them treat people like VD as though they deserve all the pay they get.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Anything that strangles them and reduces their unfair dominance is a good thing. Lets see how popular the BBC is if it had to fend for itself. Or better still, let their fans pay for it and let us who don't need/ want it keep our money.

The BBC is not dominant at all...and as for subscription, that is a non starter and you know the many reasons why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC doesn't own 35% of the UK national press unlike a certain Australian who is now a US citizen for tax purposes.

If local papers are going down the pan because they're poor and turning into advertising rags it's not the BBC's fault.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,214
    Forum Member
    Just now, on the promo for today's prog.

'If you are straight, and you found out your partner was gay, how would you feel?'

Probably not great, Victoria, BUT IT'S NOT NEWS

so it shouldn't have any place on the News Channel.
    Lol, that's sounds like something Kilroy would say:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayURys9txY
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think we know how popular the BBC's TV channels will be with advertisers if it is, indeed, forced to 'fend for itself'. I think we also know how much damage that would cause ITV.

Meanwhile, about 90% of current commercial radio stations would be wiped out overnight if Radios 1, 2, 4 & Five Live were allowed to run ads.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    I think we know how popular the BBC's TV channels will be with advertisers if it is, indeed, forced to 'fend for itself'. I think we also know how much damage that would cause ITV.

Meanwhile, about 90% of current commercial radio stations would be wiped out overnight if Radios 1, 2, 4 & Five Live were allowed to run ads.

And...?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be pages from BBC website soon off peak times apart from if there is PMQs, Budget or event or sport on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be pages from BBC website soon off peak times apart from if there is PMQs, Budget or event or sport on.

Far better than a bout of VD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And...?

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In terms of the BBC and its funding, it's like asking a vegetarian to put meat in their mouth. Why should I have to pay for it, if I don't want it? and don't bring on the argument of tax etc, because that's a totally different matter.

The BBC, in this day and age is just a luxury (for some).

What works for some, doesn't work for others, and I'm not happy with funding other people's telly watching.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what is constantly overlooked when people call for the BBC to show adverts and axe the licence fee. If that happens just be prepared to lose most free TV channels and commercial radio stations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what is constantly overlooked when people call for the BBC to show adverts and axe the licence fee. If that happens just be prepared to lose most free TV channels and commercial radio stations

I remember reading a report some years ago that said there was not enough money in the economy to support a commercial BBC and ITV and ITV would lose out because most advertisers would want the prestige of being on the BBC.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of the BBC and its funding, it's like asking a vegetarian to put meat in their mouth. Why should I have to pay for it, if I don't want it? and don't bring on the argument of tax etc, because that's a totally different matter.

The BBC, in this day and age is just a luxury (for some).

What works for some, doesn't work for others, and I'm not happy with funding other people's telly watching.

I don't have any kids- but I still have to pay for local schools through council tax..

I don't use the local library, so I don't think I should pay for that either.

I don't go swimming at the council pool, so why do I have to pay for that?

Don't go out after dark- so why should I pay for the street lighting?

And i'll take my rubbish to the tip myself- so why should I pay for the dustmen?

Quite rightly we all have to pay for things we never use for the greater good.

Remember- even if you don't watch the BBC a high percentage of ITV stars (past and present) originally made their names with the BBC, who invested time and money training them up to a standard where they became so popular ITV got their cheque book out, as they don't appear to have any home grown talent of their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I remember reading a report some years ago that said there was not enough money in the economy to support a commercial BBC and ITV and ITV would lose out because most advertisers would want the prestige of being on the BBC.

If there was ONLY bbc1, 2 and 4 there would be enough advertisers for all.

This thread is going off topic. VD programme - is it going viewers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen any ratings recently - the figure of 39,000 on the News channel was being quoted a few weeks ago. Apparently the channel's usual audience in that slot was about 100,000.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And...?

Dearie me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dearie me.

What is this to do with the Victoria Derbyshire TV programme?