Options

Mother of eight Marie Buchan 'The benefits cap will make me homeless':

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Is it really so hard to just say that maybe she should have stopped having children? Why do people have to go with the delightful "kept her legs shut/together" line?

Because they can and that is what she should have done if not using contraception.

Having 8 children is just taking the piss, IMO.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are the ghost of Old Hippy Guy and I claim my £5.

No, OHG is far more intelligent.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    The thing is if you search her name it brings up articles dating back to Dec 2013 saying she will be made homeless because of the benefit cap, 18mths later she is saying the same but because of the budget. I remember seeing her on one of those benefits programs, she stated that she was £2k in rent arrears, in the same program (as somebody else stated) she went out and was spending money left right and centre on Christmas presents, she didn't make any contribution to her rent. She also said her and the kids dad were together on and off, they just can't live together. Her rent arrears was wiped and she was moved, from recent articles it seems she has got rent arrears again. I'm not knocking her, my situation has changed drastically but you can only give someone so much help before they have to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

Thanks for this. I've googled her. This is a radio interview she gave after her first outcry to the media in 2013. Gobsmacked members of the public speak to her too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mrt94

Who on earth brought this woman and her boyfriend up, to have such a sense of entitlement and lack of adult responsibility? She's certainly not new to claiming benefits. I wonder how much money she is given by the public when she repeatedly uses her children for publicity. 4 separate occasions so far. She doesn't believe in contraception or abortion. She also says benefits are far too high. She also produced baby no. 9 after this and she manages to run a car and of course has unpaid fines.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I've googled her. This is a radio interview she gave after her first outcry to the media in 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mrt94

This is one totally irresponsible woman, she's certainly not new to claiming benefits. I wonder how much money she is given by the public when she repeatedly uses her children for publicity. 4 separate occasions so far. She doesn't believe in contraception or abortion. She also says benefits are far too high. She also produced baby no. 9 after this and she manages to run a car and of course has unpaid fines.

I think she undermines everyone that is struggling to survive even before the proposed benefits cut. At the first sign of anything she goes running to the press, I have seen interviews with her in three different papers, plus the benefits programs she does. It's because of people like her genuine claimants get a bad name.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Because they can and that is what she should have done if not using contraception.

Why do people have to be so crude? "Maybe she shouldn't have had so many kids" works better and doesn't resort to the stupid "legs shut" line I see so often online. I'm not even disagreeing with the sentiment, just the way it was expressed,
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people have to be so crude? "Maybe she shouldn't have had so many kids" works better and doesn't resort to the stupid "legs shut" line I see so often online. I'm not even disagreeing with the sentiment, just the way it was expressed,

I think you're a little too sensitive for DS.

Your crusade adds nothing to the debate and is pointless.
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because someone can say something doesn't mean they should and I don't see any of those comments aimed at the father(s).

Why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

I've been doing just fine for almost 2 years, but thanks for your opinion :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. This is an issue of children being forced into poverty and homelessness, the only alternative being going into care and yet some are more outraged about the fact a woman has sex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been doing just fine for almost 2 years, but thanks for your opinion :)

I think others are a better judge of whether you're doing fine or not. these little outbursts of yours suggest that you're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    I disagree. This is an issue of children being forced into poverty and homelessness, the only alternative being going into care and yet some are more outraged about the fact a woman has sex.

I think you'll find that the outrage is to do with conception rather than sex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think others are a better judge of whether you're doing fine or not. these little outbursts of yours suggest that you're not.

Outbursts :confused:

I just responded to a comment I didn't like. Why does that indicate I'm not doing fine?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outbursts :confused:

I just responded to a comment I didn't like. Why does that indicate I'm not doing fine?

I did say 'little' and you seem to be incensed by people using specific terms regarding sexual activity. A little odd and nothing to do with the thread and strikes of over sensitivity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll fined that the outrage is to do with conception rather than sex.

It's quite difficult to manage the first without the second.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite difficult to manage the first without the second.

You're not getting it are you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did say 'little' and you seem to be incensed by people using specific terms regarding sexual activity. A little odd and nothing to do with the thread and strikes of over sensitivity.

It has everything to do with the thread which seems to have a strong aroma of ****-shaming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or... It's just a phrase I see all too often when it comes to women and sex and I simply inquired why it must be used so unnecessarily? It was just a question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not getting it are you!

Mrs Dove provides me with adequate supplies of both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has everything to do with the thread which seems to have a strong aroma of ****-shaming.

I'd say it has more to do with shaming her and her partner/s for being irresponsible. I've not seen any post that comments on her virtue only her decision not to prevent pregnancy.

She's the one who decided to wash her dirty linen in public etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Dove provides me with adequate supplies of both.

Lucky you :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it has more to do with shaming her for being irresponsible. I've not seen any post that comments on her virtue only her decision not to prevent pregnancy.

Except for the remarks that she should have kept her legs shut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except for the remarks that she should have kept her legs shut.

Which means she should have been responsible, not that she's a ****. I'm sure she isn't!

What is your opinion on the phrase 'he should have kept it in his pants' or 'he should have put something on it'??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky you :D

I'm lucky in that my children aren't going to be hungry and homeless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm lucky in that my children aren't going to be hungry and homeless.

I hope you're right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which means she should have been responsible, not that she's a ****. I'm sure she isn't!

No, saying she should have taken steps to avoid getting pregnant would mean that while saying she should close her legs is a vulgar comment on her sexual activity.
    What is your opinion on the phrase 'he should have kept it in his pants' or 'he should have put something on it'??

My opinion is those phrases aren't what we're discussing.