Options

Will the SNP do the right thing and vote to help keep the fox hunting ban?

Comments

• Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    I don't even know why people are involving the SNP in this. No-one in Scotland is asking for the Law here to be changed.

Thats good then. All references to the SNP in this debate are null and void. I'm beginning to wonder what the point of this thread is. Its certainly got me baffled. But thats not difficult. :)
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even know why people are involving the SNP in this. No-one in Scotland is asking for the Law here to be changed.

Some folk are and on a personal level I would too. The law in Scotland does need to be changed to avoid the loophole that allows Fox Hunting to continue. I'll bet that most Scots think there is a Foxhunting ban here and not continued Foxhunting.
    Robbie Marsland, Director of League Against Cruel Sports Scotland, today called for a clause to be added to the act which would prevent hunters from flouting the law.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/fox-hunting-campaigners-release-secret-video-footage-of-string-of-illegal-hunts-in-scotland-ahead-of-key-vote-10277419.html
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    Thats good then. All references to the SNP in this debate are null and void. I'm beginning to wonder what the point of this thread is. Its certainly got me baffled. But thats not difficult. :)

It has me baffled too. :D
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    While it's right that the SNP do not vote on English only issues, I think it's time to widen what they do vote on to include anything which has any effect at all on Scotland, be that funding or anything else.

In this case it is possible that Scottish based foxes could find themselves in danger in the border areas.

If the establishment doesn't like it, tough. They pulled a massive con trick and fear campaign to keep Scotland in the UK, so now they will simply have to put up with our MPs interfering in English issues. English based Parlaimentarians have always felt perfectly entitled to interfere in Scotland.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a debate this morning regarding this involving Owen Paterson & Brain May. It was very noticeable the amount of time the Tory MP mentioned the law in Scotland - "bringing the law into line with Scotland", "having parity in England & Wales" etc. This was despite the law on fox-hunting in Scotland and the proposed changes to the law in England & Wales being quite different in certain areas (from what I could gather). It did start to come across as something of a pre-emptive strike should the Scottish MP's choose to get involved in the debate. i.e. on the surface to will look like Interfering in English matters and trying to impose a different change in the law in England & Wales from what they have in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it's right that the SNP do not vote on English only issues, I think it's time to widen what they do vote on to include anything which has any effect at all on Scotland, be that funding or anything else.

In this case it is possible that Scottish based foxes could find themselves in danger in the border areas.

If the establishment doesn't like it, tough. They pulled a massive con trick and fear campaign to keep Scotland in the UK, so now they will simply have to put up with our MPs interfering in English issues. English based Parlaimentarians have always felt perfectly entitled to interfere in Scotland.

They'd lose my vote if they started it.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so dog fighting = blood sport, firmly banned
    fox hunting = blood sport (dressed up as 'pest control' ) not firmly banned..

the mind boggles..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They'd lose my vote if they started it.

And you'd then vote for who?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you'd then vote for who?

None of your business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None of your business.

Whoever it would be, those parties would vote on English only issues at Westminster. So you would take your vote away from the SNP if they voted on a mostly English issue and give it to a party who would vote in Westminster on English issues. Brilliant!

Could it be that in your haste to posture you haven't quite thought your position through and have.....out-foxed yourself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm hearing now that it's decided. The SNP are going to vote against Fox Hunting.

Very pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Confirmed.
    As a member of the SNP I am delighted by this. t's the morally right thing to do and that's more important than any tactic.
    Also, it's justified. 533 MPs from non Scottish constituencies got a veto on every amendment the SNP proposed to put into the Scotland bill. The Scottish Affairs Select Committee contains 7 English based MPs to Scotland's 4. And we have a land border with England. Scottish based wildlife is at risk from any bill to reintroduce fox hunting.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Confirmed.
    As a member of the SNP I am delighted by this. t's the morally right thing to do and that's more important than any tactic.
    Also, it's justified. 533 MPs from non Scottish constituencies got a veto on every amendment the SNP proposed to put into the Scotland bill. The Scottish Affairs Select Committee contains 7 English based MPs to Scotland's 4. And we have a land border with England. Scottish based wildlife is at risk from any bill to reintroduce fox hunting.

Yep. Statement from the SNP website;

http://snp.org/media-centre/news/2015/jul/snp-fox-hunting-vote
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever it would be, those parties would vote on English only issues at Westminster. So you would take your vote away from the SNP if they voted on a mostly English issue and give it to a party who would vote in Westminster on English issues. Brilliant!

Could it be that in your haste to posture you haven't quite thought your position through and have.....out-foxed yourself?

There are 3 Scottish Parties with no seats in WM. As a Scot I would have thought you would know that. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are 3 Scottish Parties with no seats in WM. As a Scot I would have thought you would know that. :confused:

And they all stand candidates in every Scottish seat in the UK general election do they?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news with regards to the SNP.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cue demands for EVEL immediately. And who can blame them?
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

The Scottish (SNP) Government are looking to strengthen the law against Fox Hunting in Scotland.

It'd be a tad stupid for the SNP in Westminster to vote to relax the same legislation in England and Wales.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SNP hypocrites should not be voting on this. Shameful.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »

And here they come.

As I've said to a mate tonight, to be honest, politics and trying to make points should come a poor second to plain decency.

I know its difficult on this forum, it really is, as its difficult to get past the dribbling tribalism. But let's, just for once, just look at what's important in this, for whatever reason why it has been done, and that is what was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member

:):):)
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    And here they come.

As I've said to a mate tonight, to be honest, politics and trying to make points should come a poor second to plain decency.

I know its difficult on this forum, it really is, as its difficult to get past the dribbling tribalism. But let's, just for once, just look at what's important in this, for whatever reason why it has been done, and that is what was the right thing to do.

Nope. The SNP have said they would not vote on non Scottish matters in the past. You can't just pick and choose a reason to break that promise when it suits.

I don't have a strong view either way on hunting with foxes. But I can smell the scent of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

Go ahead. Hasten independence please.

You've got to laugh at the cheek of those Tories crying about this. 533 MPs from non Scottish constituencies got a veto on every amendment the SNP proposed to put into the Scotland Bill. The Scottish Affairs Committee contains 7 English based MPs to Scotland's 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope. The SNP have said they would not vote on non Scottish matters in the past. You can't just pick and choose a reason to break that promise when it suits.

I don't have a strong view either way on hunting with foxes. But I can smell the scent of hypocrisy.
    "You can't just pick and choose a reason to break that promise when it suits."

Why not?
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I feel ashamed of my party tonight. I suspected this would happen if we won many seats in Westminster.