Options

Celebrities that are "saintly" or "infamous...

Comments

• Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Madonna really gets far too much stick around here, "fish-wife" just doesn't make a lot of sense. Is she a gossip, hmmm.

I just find "Madonna" a thoroughly ridiculous and absurd person (I find even her name to be like... :confused::D )

I never really could take her seriously even in the 80's but as the years have gone on and she's become ever more desperate to shock and attention seeking in an attempt to keep herself in the "limelight" I just find her a very, very silly and desperate person...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I don't think Elvis was an inherently insane or mad person. I'm sure for the majority of his life he was perfectly lucid and rational...

But I do think there is evidence from what has emerged since he died, that in his final years (1973 to 1977) he became increasingly erratic and irrational and by the end of his life was possibly not in a fit enough state mentally or physically to look after his own affairs...

Which I assume is exactly the situation his leech of a manager and all the "hangers on" at Graceland wanted, because god knows how much they were all fleecing of him while he in drug induced near oblivion.
    I just find "Madonna" a thoroughly ridiculous and absurd person (I find even her name to be like... :confused::D )

I never really could take her seriously even in the 80's but as the years have gone on and she's become ever more desperate to shock and attention seeking in an attempt to keep herself in the "limelight" I just find her a very, very silly and desperate person...

Talented?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overrated? :D

And BTW, the term "fish wife" does apply to "Madge".

Fishwife defintion: "A coarse-mannered woman who is prone to shouting."

Given the way the silly old trout hit's the stage and turn's the air blue within the first ten seconds in a desperate attempt to make herself look "edgy" I think it's a very, very appropriate term.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Given the way the silly old trout hit's the stage and turn's the air blue within the first ten seconds in a desperate attempt to make herself look "edgy" I think it's a very, very appropriate term.:D

How old is her lover?
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Men wrote: »
    How old is her lover?

About 20 years younger if not more
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the charges against Cliff dropped yet?

He hasn't been charged with anything,but one of the cases agains't him has been dropped
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    About 20 years younger if not more

Her daughter is around that age?
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    He hasn't been charged with anything,but one of the cases agains't him has been dropped

So he isn't being accused anymore?
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol this made me laugh :D and I love Madonna but only up until her cowboy phase. After that everything went downhill. Very attention seeking - from that kiss with Britney, that pink outfit in the Hung Up video and the recent single Bitch, I'm Madonna and accompanying video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the thread about Cliff has been removed by DS's admin... Probably best not to "go there" in this thread.

There will come a time when everyone will be able to have their say about Cliff Richard but while a high profile police investigation is going on, isn't it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Lol this made me laugh :D and I love Madonna but only up until her cowboy phase. After that everything went downhill. Very attention seeking - from that kiss with Britney, that pink outfit in the Hung Up video and the recent single Bitch, I'm Madonna and accompanying video.

Dont forget that kiss with Drake!
    I think the thread about Cliff has been removed by DS's admin... Probably best not to "go there" in this thread.

There will come a time when everyone will be able to have their say about Cliff Richard but while a high profile police investigation is going on, isn't it...

really!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

really!?

Of course.

Some of the post's in that Cliff Thread would definitely have been classed as prejudicial while a police investigation and possible criminal proceeding's are taking place.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

.... fair enough if you find her that way, but we're talking icons here, and she's made some pretty good music and iconic images. You seem not to mention she actually makes music, she's not a Kardassian or an Hilton, which seems to be more apposite to the stuff you are saying.

Madonna was what she was christened, blame her parents.

I'm not really a fan, (unlike Jess obviously:confused:) but the woman has managed to stay relevant and sell records for decades, this caricature you put up from the 80s seems harsh, as I said.

Again though, she's probably not done anything I'm interested in since "Ray of Light", but again your summation doesn't really change my view that she's ridiculously harshly treated in here.
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean - I said I loved Madonna up until her cowboy phase - which was how long ago? Never in that post did I say I was a fan... :confused:
    I can however see when someone is trying to stay relevant and being ridiculous, fan or not!
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Sean - I said I loved Madonna up until her cowboy phase - which was how long ago? Never in that post did I say I was a fan... :confused:
    I can however see when someone is trying to stay relevant and being ridiculous, fan or not!

Well I was trying a comparison, and personally I've never been close to loving her or a fan.

Again we're talking about icons, she deserves mentioning, and she, IMHO, can do what she wants, she's earnt it for decades of slog.

Personally, I'm not watching any of what she's doing anymore, but I guess as others seem to know all about it (who is Drake?) it must be working in keeping her relevant.

She's no worse then the Rolling Stones dragging their bony arses out on stage at their ridiculously old age, and countless other artists clutching onto their yoof. I'm guessing many of them have partners much more than 20 years younger.

Seems a tad sexist to me, all the slating Madge gets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the RS want to perform then let them!

Drake is a popular singer who she decided to snog. He looked shocked and she hit his hand away when he tried to stroke her hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A big thanks for making this thread interesting everyone!
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    A big thanks for making this thread interesting everyone!

The darling of the Indie scene, the saintly John Peel, appears to have escaped any publicity, or fallout from associating with Sa-vile in the Seventies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    The darling of the Indie scene, the saintly John Peel, appears to have escaped any publicity, or fallout from associating with Sa-vile in the Seventies.

What and what?
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not true at all. A lot has been said about John Peel and underage groupies in an attempt to link him to Savile-type stuff. Saw a lot of it in the press - Daily Mail et al - in the immediate aftermath, but then it died down.

I'd suggest it's because most people connect his behaviour more with that of the rock stars of the time, where 'schoolgirls' and teenage groupies seemed to be quite a thing in the 70s. Sure, it doesn't make it 'right', it says a lot about what was wrong in the era, but there's no suggestion he was a lifelong perv or anything. It refers to a time when Peel was a young man in his twenties and hanging out with bands (and their teenage groupies.) For that reason, the sh*t hasn't really 'stuck' in the way it has with Savile et al. Same with most of the rock stars of that era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    laurielou wrote: »
    That's not true at all. A lot has been said about John Peel and underage groupies in an attempt to link him to Savile-type stuff. Saw a lot of it in the press - Daily Mail et al - in the immediate aftermath, but then it died down.

I'd suggest it's because most people connect his behaviour more with that of the rock stars of the time, where 'schoolgirls' and teenage groupies seemed to be quite a thing in the 70s. Sure, it doesn't make it 'right', it says a lot about what was wrong in the era, but there's no suggestion he was a lifelong perv or anything. It refers to a time when Peel was a young man in his twenties and hanging out with bands (and their teenage groupies.) For that reason, the sh*t hasn't really 'stuck' in the way it has with Savile et al. Same with most of the rock stars of that era.

"All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do," Peel told the Guardian in 1975. "Girls," he said to the Sunday Correspondent in 1989, "used to queue up outside oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember one of my regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13."
    Thirteen years old! Dude, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's a £ucking duck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do," Peel told the Guardian in 1975. "Girls," he said to the Sunday Correspondent in 1989, "used to queue up outside oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember one of my regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13."
    Thirteen years old! Dude, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's a £ucking duck.

Yes, I know the full story "dude" and have read it. He told it himself. He also married a 15 year old in the States. Have you also checked out the activities of Jimmy Page, David Bowie et al? They did similar. (incidentally, after this period in his mid twenties, Peel got married again and stayed with the same woman until his death. No young groupies. He was not a paedophile. He "didn't ask their ages" was the part you've left out of the quote above.)

As I said, of course it wasn't great to take advantage of teenage groupies in this way. But in the main, it was not seen in the same way then as it is now.

Can you really not see the difference between that and what Savile, Stuart Hall etc did? I'm afraid that regardless of the law, culturally (or rather counter-culturally) things were VERY different back in those days to how they would be viewed now. It doesn't make it 'right' and it's shocking I know, but true.

These things were viewed very differently up until about the mid-eighties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im lost. Who are you talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

John Peel.
  • Options
    Forum Member

John Robert Parker Ravenscroft, OBE (30 August 1939 – 25 October 2004), known professionally as John Peel, was an English disc jockey, radio presenter, record producer and journalist. He was the longest serving of the original BBC Radio 1 DJs, broadcasting regularly from 1967 until his death in 2004. He also admitted to sexual acts with a 13 year old girl, which laurielou thinks is fine because he was just doing stuff that 'went on back then'. He then referred to this kind of thing in interviews, with staggering bravado, up to 1989. Check out the Google pics search for John Peel and schoolgirl and try not to think wrong'en.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Robert Parker Ravenscroft, OBE (30 August 1939 – 25 October 2004), known professionally as John Peel, was an English disc jockey, radio presenter, record producer and journalist. He was the longest serving of the original BBC Radio 1 DJs, broadcasting regularly from 1967 until his death in 2004. He also admitted to sexual acts with a 13 year old girl, which laurielou thinks is fine because he was just doing stuff that 'went on back then'. He then referred to this kind of thing in interviews, with staggering bravado, up to 1989. Check out the Google pics search for John Peel and schoolgirl and try not to think sex case.

OK. I really think you need to calm down.

As a matter of fact laurielou does NOT think it's "fine" . "She" thinks having sex with underage groupies is pretty sleazy and grim - as were many things for women and girls back then in the supposedly sexual liberation years of the sixties and seventies.

But she understand the concept of historical context and that PEOPLE saw these things in a different way back then. And understands, as do most members of the public, that there is something of a sliding scale of severity with regard to historical sex offences because of that.

I think you'll find that's why the John Peel story, when it was reported (and it was) didn't garner the same public reaction as, say, Savile. You clearly wish it had (in fact, seem rather fixated), but I'm just trying to point out why it didn't. It's not some sort of pro-John Peel conspiracy.