Options

Terence Stamp ... English is now like a foreign language

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3167654/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-English-foreign-language-London-says-Terence-Stamp.html

Having visited other major towns and cities recently, I think he's right and I also think it's a great shame that we often feel like the outsiders in our own country.

Comments

• Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3167654/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-English-foreign-language-London-says-Terence-Stamp.html

Having visited other major towns and cities recently, I think he's right and I also think it's a great shame that we often feel like the outsiders in our own country.

It's the truth, but no doubt he will get criticised for it.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member

No sign there of any plan to make English a minority language!
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I am not so sure about this. I am Asian, and a vast majority of my cousins/uncles kids, nieces/nephews (age range between 8-21) all speak english. Most of them find it easier to speak english than their mother tongue.

Some of the kids, whilst they can understand punjabi, will always answer in english. A couple of them cant even string a couple of sentence together in punjabi. I think its quite sad, that they cant. If the parents have grown up here, the chances are that kids will be speaking english as their main language. The older generation (50+), not so much.

As for the Eastern Europeans, yes I bet they speak their mother tongue. However by the second generation (as with Asians), they (the kids) will be speaking English as their main language.

So I dont think anyone needs to worry about English not being the main language in the UK.
  • Options
    Sport1Sport1 Posts: 8,819
    Forum Member
    Old man sees non-white faces and hears non-English languages and thinks that's all there is. Not uncommon amongst his age group but it's rubbish. Complete rubbish. English is almost universally spoken in this country, but some people speak more that one language. How dare they...
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend said something similar to me the other week, "there hardly seems to be anyone speaking English in London", and she's from overseas herself.

Living in London myself I can honestly say there are particularly a large amount of people from Eastern European countries, and the language I hear is mainly polish.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,613
    Forum Member
    Sport1 wrote: »
    Old man sees non-white faces and hears non-English languages and thinks that's all there is. Not uncommon amongst his age group but it's rubbish. Complete rubbish. English is almost universally spoken in this country, but some people speak more that one language. How dare they...

Good sensible post but unfortunately some folk latch on to these sorts of stories to confirm their own prejudices.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there`s certainly a growing number of native english speakers switching to complete prick as their first language.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having bought fruit off Asian market stall holders in the East End of London without any language difficulties, I've no idea what he's banging on about.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    Many British people cannot speak English properly either. Half the time I don't think even they themselves know what they are saying.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I live in a different part of the country from most of you but I've not encountered any problems with immigrants. We have far less for one thing. In 30 odd years in this town I can remember....(holidays, working summers, and permanent immigrants combined)...

A handful of families emigrating from Pakistan. Own a string of corner shops.
    A few from China. Work in local takeaway.
    A few from Turkey (I think). Work in local kebab shops.
    An Italian girl at school. (Very pretty).
    One Jamaican once. Funny guy, Used to come in and play pool for a couple of weeks.
    Three French girls on some school holiday when I was about 15. First and last time someone came to my town on holiday for no good reason like partner or work. That boggled my mind at the time "you're on holiday.....here?".
    And 4 Polish folk I worked with for a summer who were the best people at that job (temp and manual) that we ever had.

So all positive so far.

I guess the city experience (especially London, Birmingham, Bradford, Leeds?) is very different? You probably meet more immigrants in one day than I have in my immediate area in my life.

Very different worlds and concerns.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Silly old Zod
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly old Zod

See what you did there :D;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Living in London myself I can honestly say there are particularly a large amount of people from Eastern European countries, and the language I hear is mainly polish.

How can that possibly be true? Do Poles follow you around?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heh. He said the same thing back in the 1960s. Usually said when he was challenged whether he was trying to "rise above his station", e.g. his growing wealth and fame versus his working-class roots.

I had worked with Mr Stamp on two occasions. He seemed serious and a little arrogant, but he was lovely if a little shy and introspective at first. When he had a bit of alcohol in him during meals, he offered fantastic anecdotes. Almost all ended up in his book, so there's nothing for me to share here. Yeah, I have a soft spot for the man.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's right, In certain towns and cities and towns it is the case. I'm off down my town centre at lunch, I'll be lucky to hear English spoken.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,286
    Forum Member
    Silly old Zod

:D LOL.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say you're correct.
    Bless him. Speaking from a party in mayfair is rather ironic. His language seems to be bullshine. Amazingly he mentions women with lots of children wearing scarves as an example, no prizes for guessing who he means, yet he grew up in the eastend. Does he really want to integrate with people he looks down on? I wonder how hard he tries. A dollop of snobbery stirred gently with a dollop of xenophobia.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly old Zod

Heh, good work.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can that possibly be true? Do Poles follow you around?

Do people have to be followed around for them to hear what language other people speak? You could be just simply be walking past people in the street and you hear all varieties of languages spoken - it's not hard to grasp.

As it happens I know and associate with polish people and encounter many in London. Therefore, I'm merely saying a lot of the foreign language heard is mostly polish although I do hear English also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Do people have to be followed around for them to hear what language other people speak? You could be just simply be walking past people in the street and you hear all varieties of languages spoken - it's not hard to grasp.

As it happens I know and associate with polish people and encounter many in London. Therefore, I'm merely saying a lot of the foreign language heard is mostly polish although I do hear English also.

That's fair enough, but if you are involved or work with Poles then yes you will hear Polish predominantly. But the average person in London will not, maybe a few but that's all.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    oooh..controversial, living on the edge. oooooh:p
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    back in the real world and out of lefty PC world

http://www.sneps.net/images/graphi28.gif
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    back in the real world and out of lefty PC world

http://www.sneps.net/images/graphi28.gif

british born people are the majority then.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me old fashioned but I like to here English in England. When I travel to parts of London I will feel the minority and feel sad that I don't identify these areas with England.
This discussion has been closed.