Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    It seems likely that James O'Brien has been warned yet again by LBC management about his disrespectful attitude to callers..

You obviously have insight into management meetings.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flagship gigs are on the flagship programmes! NF and ID present the most-listened to programmes on the station. They would want to put these programmes on when there is a maximum audience. When JOB is broadcasting a lot of people are out at work.

I thought Steve Allen, James O'Brien and Lisa Aziz have more listeners than Iain Dale. I think Ian Collins might also beat him in the ratings. James O'Brien attracts a big audience for LBC even though he doesn't have a "flagship gig".
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I thought Steve Allen, James O'Brien and Lisa Aziz have more listeners than Iain Dale. I think Ian Collins might also beat him in the ratings. James O'Brien attracts a big audience for LBC even though he doesn't have a "flagship gig".

The thought of Aziz hosting a debate like that makes my ears bleed.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps it's the quality not the quantity that counts. Iain Dale is an experienced and respected political commentator. Judging by today's papers, and Twitter during the show, last night's debate garnered a lot of comment and praise from equally experienced and respected members of the media, which I doubt any of your examples would attract.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's the quality not the quantity that counts. Iain Dale is an experienced and respected political commentator. Judging by today's papers, and Twitter during the show, last night's debate garnered a lot of comment and praise from equally experienced and respected members of the media, which I doubt any of your examples would attract.

That wasn't the point I was making but never mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Between 5am - 7am (which obviously overlaps Steve and Lisa) there are 266,000 listeners. (NF jumps to 710,000), JO'B 508,000, but Iain's show between 4pm - 7pm (I know that is not his complete show) is 513,000. So there are a few thousand more listeners for the Drive programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    The thought of Aziz hosting a debate like that makes my ears bleed.

I find Iain Dale a good listen to though, he is on when I wake up from the night shift and it's a refreshing listen to whilst waiting for the night shift.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't the point I was making but never mind.

Yes, I know. You were picking Martin up on the fact that Drive might not have as many listeners as J O'B, but I felt like saying it anyway.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    If that's the one where they're making felafels, inexplicably out of potatoes, that's Mrs OB's sister. Equally grubby looking and just as smug.

"Felafels are the reason my kids get out of bed in the morning" she pronounces to the two in vests. She was also responsible for the classic "if you cut my kids they bleed houmous".

When Mike says "painfully middle class" I think this is what he means.

Soap and water are also popular with the middle classe. Mr and Mrs Gobber appear to be strangers to it.
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess percentage share is also important ..... its hard to tell from the graphs on Paul Easton's blog what Iain's audence share is compared to the others.

His blog does have LBCs night slot on 10.8% compared to BBC Londons 1.6%.
    Also the 4 - 6am slot 21.8% compared to 1.1% for BBC London.
    It can be very easy to dismiss 0400-0600 as a ‘graveyard’ slot, but at that time of morning around 1.36 million Londoners – approx 12% of the capital’s adult population – are listening to the radio at that time.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    I guess percentage share is also important ..... its hard to tell from the graphs on Paul Easton's blog what Iain's audence share is compared to the others.

His blog does have LBCs night slot on 10.8% compared to BBC Londons 1.6%.
    Also the 4 - 6am slot 21.8% compared to 1.1% for BBC London.

Wonderful viewing, thankyou.

Another spike in all its glory
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain Dale should win a Sony award for this LBC Labour leadership debate. This is sparkling brilliant radio. Well done to Iain and LBC on this. Tremendous radio.

I totally agree,I usually turn my TV on at 7 pm for C4 News but stayed with LBC till 10 pm.

Excellent radio.:)
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between 5am - 7am (which obviously overlaps Steve and Lisa) there are 266,000 listeners. (NF jumps to 710,000), JO'B 508,000, but Iain's show between 4pm - 7pm (I know that is not his complete show) is 513,000. So there are a few thousand more listeners for the Drive programme.
    I know we've been there many times before, Martin, but I do still wonder about those RAJAR figures, particularly in light of the opinion polls before the general election, for example. I'm just not convinced that it's a big enough cross-section of the listening public taking part to give reliable figures and percentages.
    I'm not trying to have a go at you, just interested (and somewhat sceptical), that's all.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    To only have 5,000 less listeners of the show for that time slot is very good. Steve also has good listening figures. I guess they are also the most disliked LBC presenters. As Iain Lee says (I think he stole the quote from someone) " those who like me listen for 1 hour, those who don't listen for 3".
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather telling that Brian is never asked to present a show like the Labour leadership debate. I suppose LBC know that he would only start being rude, throw his toys out of the pram and start acting like Kevin The Teenager.

Imagine what would have happened if "Nigel from Kent" had rung up with James O'Brien presenting the leadership debate. It would have been a debacle as he would be unable to restrain his anti-UKIP feelings.
  • Options
    MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staggered to find that LBC podcasts are only available to subscribers and at a minimum of £2 per month.

Global greed or what.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we've been there many times before, Martin, but I do still wonder about those RAJAR figures, particularly in light of the opinion polls before the general election, for example. I'm just not convinced that it's a big enough cross-section of the listening public taking part to give reliable figures and percentages.
    I'm not trying to have a go at you, just interested (and somewhat sceptical), that's all.

Unfortunately there is no other way at present of measuring audiences. I believe they tried electronic devices, but they were unsuccessful. I know the opinion polls for the GE were wrong, but what can you do?

Companies use them as a guide to know where to place their advertising. I am sure they are not going to waste money if they considered they were not reasonably accurate.

Sometime ago I was actually asked to complete a RAJAR survey for one week. They 'bribed' me by giving me a ball-point pen, and I think £5 Amazon voucher for doing it on-line !!! I was very careful to put down as accurately as possible that I listened to Radio Outer Mongolia on a regular basis :D (I may have also got confused with the Lebanese Broadcasting Company !!).
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Mall wrote: »
    Staggered to find that LBC podcasts are only available to subscribers and at a minimum of £2 per month.

Global greed or what.

It's commercial radio.
  • Options
    tommy2teetommy2tee Posts: 345
    Forum Member

Is that a week or per day?
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to James O'Brien yesterday. :eek:

I noted his FORCED stuttering was in overdrive, and he has an annoying habit of saying 'lickle' instead of 'little'.

He also asked the dumb question, 'why is gold so expensive?' :D:D

Once again, he thought he was posing a question that would make the audience sit up and go 'yeah, why is it..?'

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have to confess that I am no great fan of Iain Dale as a overall media person however I have to concede he is fast becoming the outstanding presenter on LBC.

The Labour debate definitely deserves further recognition with some sort of award.

Iain tries to vary the first hour of his slot with topics which are different from those mainstream ones which have already been aired. He is also very good with callers and quite tolerant whatever their views and he allows them to speak without interruption.

I like his compassion and genuine attempt to understand along with a flexibility towards his programming. An example of this was the other night when the opening hour attracted a very high volume of calls about a sensitive issue. In the second hour Iain introduced a topic relating to Tony Blair of all people however it soon became obvious that callers wanted more of what happened in the first hour so Iain duly gave over a large portion of the second hour to return to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was listening to James O'Brien yesterday. :eek:

I noted his FORCED stuttering was in overdrive, and he has an annoying habit of saying 'lickle' instead of 'little'.

He also asked the dumb question, 'why is gold so expensive?' :D:D

Once again, he thought he was posing a question that would make the audience sit up and go 'yeah, why is it..?'

:D:D

The man is nothing more than a poser and not a very good one at that.

With regards the forced stutter SA has a repulsive false laugh which makes my skin crawl. The two of them are made for each other.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Imagine what would have happened if "Nigel from Kent" had rung up with James O'Brien presenting the leadership debate. It would have been a debacle as he would be unable to restrain his anti-UKIP feelings.

It would even better if 'Nigel from Maidstone' rang him - he would explode.

'James, James, James. Can I sing my song?' :)
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have really, really enjoyed my 'my early nights' with NA, for the past week ;-) Apparently, he is still doing his usual Friday / Saturday slots & will continue to cover for another week.....Great news :)

Just thought that I would post something favourable about LBC :D:D:p

Happy weekend to you all x
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tommy2tee wrote: »
    The man is nothing more than a poser and not a very good one at that.

With regards the forced stutter SA has a repulsive false laugh which makes my skin crawl. The two of them are made for each other.

:D:D Thanks for your kind and amusing and accurate reply. :D
This discussion has been closed.