Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    See the compatibility report is running every night now.
    Noticed on my HP stream 13 touchscreen that's only a month old with windows 8.1 the reporthas this;
    (!) You won't be able to restore your PC to factory settings after the upgrade
    Microsoft's compatibility report faq here says this about it;
    Why did I see a notification that I won't be able to restore factory settings?

You’ll see this message if the manufacturer set up your PC to run from a compressed Windows image file and included an option to restore factory settings. After the upgrade, you won't be able to restore factory settings, but other recovery options will be available.
    This is going to worry a lot of people, so make sure you backup along with the recovery partition. HP make this easy by backing it up to an sd card or usb stick.
    Not sure if this is saying that the Windows 10 upgrade will wipe out the recovery partition.

Also noticed that the report is now reporting printer compatibility too on my other laptops and desktops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talking of "expensive HD TV tuner cards", Windows 10 won't recognise my Satellite Tuner cards yet but I will see what if anything I can do tomorrow to persuade it otherwise. If I can't get some/any drivers working then it's a no go for Windows 10 from me.

What make and model are these?
    Are you currently using them under win 7 or 8.1?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    What make and model are these?
    Are you currently using them under win 7 or 8.1?

Hauppauge wintv nova s2 (times two, single tuner, pci)
    Tevii s480 (Just one, dual tuner, epci)
    Hauppauge wintv nova T (Just one, freeview tuner)

All working fine under Windows 7.

If I can't make them work I'll just have to wait and see if a new driver is made for them.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I can't make them work I'll just have to wait and see if a new driver is made for them.

What front end do you use? There is no Media Center in Windows 10.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to upgrade but I have my PC running the best it has been, think I'll wait a month or if the reviews are very good.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My Nova-S2 works on Windows 10 with the standard Hauppauge drivers, has done since the first insider build was released. I use DVB Viewer and the standard Hauppauge WinTV software with no problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The current windows 7/8 drivers work fine with all those under windows 10.
    Tevii have their own win 8 specific drivers, prob best to try those.
    What problems are you having with these?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    What front end do you use? There is no Media Center in Windows 10.
    My Nova-S2 works on Windows 10 with the standard Hauppauge drivers, has done since the first insider build was released. I use DVB Viewer and the standard Hauppauge WinTV software with no problems.

FIRST POST IN MICROSOFT EDGE (add dramatic music here)

On closer inspection, after finding the control panel and device manager:

It would seem that it has found the two Hauppauge WinTV devices but it would seem that it's the TeVii s480 that it's having problems with.

Software wise: yes I too use DVBViewer but haven't installed that yet.

(Digital Spy with adverts? That's got to go!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I could always be wrong, but I got the iso from a well known source. System properties looks like this

http://s12.postimg.org/5e4873mql/system.jpg

I got the ISO from a well known source too - the Microsoft Insider website. Just like almost everyone else whose system is now on that build :)
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Are ISO'S going to be made available in general? I will upgrade probably via windows update but probably going to to a refresh after installation
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Are ISO'S going to be made available in general? I will upgrade probably via windows update but probably going to to a refresh after installation

It will be possible to "upgrade" via a clean install. It's mentioned in one of those FAQs linked to above I think - or just Google it.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    It will be possible to "upgrade" via a clean install. It's mentioned in one of those FAQs linked to above I think - or just Google it.

I'll look it up. Just want to do it all correctly without any issues
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to upgrade but I have my PC running the best it has been, think I'll wait a month or if the reviews are very good.

Often worth waiting a bit anyway. Wait for any glitches to be ironed out.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I wish people would just try the new user interface rather than giving up straight away. Windows 10 isn't even out yet! When did we all start hating anything new and trying to make it look like something old?

Not just with Windows but many lack patience with new UIs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Success! I managed to find an old Tevii s480 driver and it installed it without objection. (That's a first for windows!)

As for getting used to a whole new interface: Sorry but that isn't how people are. We spend days, weeks, months getting our desktops as we like them with things where we know they are so that we can get on with what we want to do without hunting for it and/or googling how to do it.

imagine getting up in the morning late for work and someone has hidden your toilet and changed all the cupboard around in your kitchen so you can't find the bread and cornflakes.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    I got the ISO from a well known source too - the Microsoft Insider website. Just like almost everyone else whose system is now on that build :)

I'm not referring to the 10240 tech preview - I got the RTM (release to manufacturers) version that was provided by MS to technet people. It's the same effectively, but doesn't expire. They provide it with temp serials for testing purposes. I was a bit surprised that it upgraded my W7 with no hassle (and no serial), just like Windows updates will after deadline day.

The 'well-known source' is person who often releases stuff like this. I got the info from a website that is a thorn in the side of MS (and has DMCA notices to prove it). I'm sure the site, and the well-known source, are familiar to some people on DS, but I'm not going to post details here.

I don't even want W10, I just liked the challenge of getting it before the 29th. A bit like illicit sex, illegal drugs or after hours drink - forbidden fruit tastes the best.

As for the poss illegality of my W10 RTM experiment, I don't think getting W10 a week early is the crime of the century.

> my $0.02
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »

From the Microsoft Windows 10 Q&A here
    Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I'm not referring to the 10240 tech preview - I got the RTM (release to manufacturers) version that was provided by MS to technet people. It's the same effectively, but doesn't expire. They provide it with temp serials for testing purposes. I was a bit surprised that it upgraded my W7 with no hassle (and no serial), just like Windows updates will after deadline day.

The 'well-known source' is person who often releases stuff like this. I got the info from a website that is a thorn in the side of MS (and has DMCA notices to prove it). I'm sure the site, and the well-known source, are familiar to some people on DS, but I'm not going to post details here.

I don't even want W10, I just liked the challenge of getting it before the 29th. A bit like illicit sex, illegal drugs or after hours drink - forbidden fruit tastes the best.

As for the poss illegality of my W10 RTM experiment, I don't think getting W10 a week early is the crime of the century.

> my $0.02

Just looking at my Tech net all I see is
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 10074 32/64-bit (English)
    and
    Windows 10 Technical Preview 32/64-bit (English)
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10162 was the last official iso wasn't it? I've lost track.

I have a fair few isos saved but they aren't labelled clearly enough (except for my latest 10240,
    which I found by simply searching for 'w10 iso'
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, to the extent that if I suddenly need a new PC I'll go out of my way to find one that has that version installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've really liked using Edge in the preview.
    But will still need to install firefox and chrome in 10 next week for the addons, namely adblockers (mostly for this site), slingplayer and password managers.
    Addons will not be ready for sometime in Edge from what Im reading, real shame.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Not just with Windows but many lack patience with new UIs.

Some just think it makes them look tech savvy or cool. Whatever their reasons, who cares? ;-)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imagine getting up in the morning late for work and someone has hidden your toilet and changed all the cupboard around in your kitchen so you can't find the bread and cornflakes.
    I have a different analogy for you: Imagine you can customise the dashboard and controls on your car. People can now make their car unique, with indicators, screen wipers and lighting controls any way they want. Handbrake on the ceiling? No problem. This is all great until you get a new car, or drive someone else's car. You don't know where any of the controls are any more.

My point? It's actually easier to leave things as they are. It saves having to constantly fight with the interface. Who knows; maybe the UI designer actually came up with some good ideas!
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    There are some serious Windows Explorer bugs in 8.1. Suffice to say, I can't sort or arrange any of my personal photos without Explorer crashing. If Windows 10 doesn't fix these bugs, I'll be downgrading to Windows 7.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft products do not have Bugs, they have Known Issues