Options

Should children be taught to speak with good diction?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Controversial issue but one I have considered before. There's a story that Steven Gerrard's LA teammates make sure to listen to him very closely because they struggle with the Scouse accent. We have an economy in which more people work in services, including call centres, when the way someone speaks clearly matters. We also have more elderly people and that means hearing difficulties. I get the feeling parents care about how their children talk but schools don't seem to worry about it.

Comments

• Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fake accents should be shunned by society.
    Yuh git me bruh.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Ya Wot
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuh git me bruh.

I hate that! you're white, you've lived here your entire life so why do you sound like a Yardie? :o
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diction does not equal dialect
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    "good diction" is a broad term and somewhat subjective, what do you mean by it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Youre not talking about diction OP, that's a local accent.
    I believe children should be taught proper diction and that should be easily understood regardless of dialect.
    However my daughter has a lisp and people correct her all the time, I don't think its their place to as she speaks better than some of them
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Yes they should.

Good diction and good spelling are equally importent.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controversial issue but one I have considered before. There's a story that Steven Gerrard's LA teammates make sure to listen to him very closely because they struggle with the Scouse accent.

Surely diction and accent is different?
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diction does not equal dialect

Surely dialects are better understood if someone has good diction?
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,860
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Yes they should.

Good diction and good spelling are equally importent.

I agree. If we want children to grow up with as many doors open to them as possible and to have equal access to all opportunities they need to have good diction in standard English. That is not to say they should be discouraged from acquiring and using a local accent or dialect with friends, family, in informal situations etc, they just need to be able to switch registers when the circumstances require it.

The ability for the general public beyond your own locality to understand you is critical to so many jobs. So the inability to communicate well in a widely recognised register creates an access problem akin to a physical disability.

I love that we have local varieties of English and for me these too are to be encouraged but not at the expense of being able and willing to communicate in a widely understood form of the language when the need arises.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Controversial issue but one I have considered before. There's a story that Steven Gerrard's LA teammates make sure to listen to him very closely because they struggle with the Scouse accent. We have an economy in which more people work in services, including call centres, when the way someone speaks clearly matters. We also have more elderly people and that means hearing difficulties. I get the feeling parents care about how their children talk but schools don't seem to worry about it.

Oh purrrleae!!

Where do you get this idea from? Link?

Of course schools care about how children speak just like they care about so much which is the responsibility of parents.
  • Options
    Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuh git me bruh.

I get ya bruv. Dem kidz need to speak better Innit.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before becoming disabled my mum worked as a telephonist for a large company. So always spoke clearly and pronounced words correctly. Something she tried to pass on to me.

After becoming disabled people always assumed she was trying to be posh and using her 'telephone' voice. Obviously not realising her 'telephone' voice has become her standard voice thanks to her job.

She was a scouser btw and the amount of people I heard in my lifetime tell her to stop trying to be posh was pathetic.

Speaking properly around here is obviously not seen as a good thing.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. If we want children to grow up with as many doors open to them as possible and to have equal access to all opportunities they need to have good diction in standard English. That is not to say they should be discouraged from acquiring and using a local accent or dialect with friends, family, in informal situations etc, they just need to be able to switch registers when the circumstances require it.

The ability for the general public beyond your own locality to understand you is critical to so many jobs. So the inability to communicate well in a widely recognised register creates an access problem akin to a physical disability.

I love that we have local varieties of English and for me these too are to be encouraged but not at the expense of being able and willing to communicate in a widely understood form of the language when the need arises.

However, as has already been said, good diction and a local/regional accent are two very different things.

I have a Gloucestershire/West country accent and yet, as I work for a multi-national company, I speak to people all over the world for whom English is a second language and I have never had any problem being understood, and I have never changed my accent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I think people should speak so they're understood regardless of their accent (however if they have speech problems etc this will obviously not be possible)
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree.
    However, as has already been said, good diction and a local/regional accent are two very different things.

I have a Gloucestershire/West country accent and yet, as I work for a multi-national company, I speak to people all over the world for whom English is a second language and I have never had any problem being understood, and I have never changed my accent.

An accent doesn't preclude good diction and the ability to communicate with everyone. If it does then it's something that the person can move between (broad and universally understandable).
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RP is the way forward. I worked hard to lose my accent. Made me more employable down south
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with speaking in your regional dialect with your native accent.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with speaking in your regional dialect with your native accent.

There shouldn't be but everyone knows that a really strong accent can hold you back in certain professions. I heard somebody on the radio a while back saying how he'd worked hard to lose his strong Birmingham accent because he knew he sounded unintelligent and people took the mickey out of him about it.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably not if you intend to live where you are, your chances of getting a well paid job in the south will be negligible however. Dreadful Laandaarn accents are OK though. Don't get me started on the girls who pronounce "book" as "buerk".
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh purrrleae!!

Where do you get this idea from? Link?

Of course schools care about how children speak just like they care about so much which is the responsibility of parents.

It always puzzles me how many people seem to think that 'firty fousand pounds', 'free mumfs' and the like is acceptable pronunciation. If schools are playing their part, how do so many people slip through the net with these horrors?

I went to a grammar school in Liverpool, and I thank the gods of education every day that we had elocution lessons. :)
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    It always puzzles me how many people seem to think that 'firty fousand pounds', 'free mumfs' and the like is acceptable pronunciation. If schools are playing their part, how do so many people slip through the net with these horrors?

I went to a grammar school in Liverpool, and I thank the gods of education every day that we had elocution lessons. :)

I remember when my son a tot, I used to try to make sure he put his 'g' on the end of 'ing'. Bless him, one day he asked me for 'chicking'.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,946
    Forum Member
    Diction and dialect/accent are different things.
    It could be argued that the rural Welsh accent has very sharp diction with emphatic consonants and pure vowel sounds.... but I hardly think it would be acceptable to the OP who, I suspect, wants everyone to be taught RP through elocution lessons.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking properly (and that doesn't necessarily mean with an RP accent), along with numerous other presentation-related skills can get you far in life, so yes elocution should be taught in schools.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »

As teachers we can try and, often, the kids will remember when they are in class but revert to 'monffs' etc when out of the room.

I'm from Liverpool too and my mother-Irish-hated the Liverpool accent because it represented slovenly speech. We were taught to speak properly so that, now, I speak with a Liverpool accent but with clear diction. I am very proud of my Liverpool roots and would never try to lose my accent.