Options

Anyone never been abroad?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't we only ever went to places in England and Wales when I was growing up (I am from Scotland) and I still only go to those countries now usually England. the furthest South I have been is London and the furthest north John O'Groats.

I don't have a passport and I am not even sure if I ever will.

Comments

• Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France, switzaland, cyprus, Spain, Italy, new York, belgum, holland....
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A cousin of mine, who is in her 40s, went abroad last month for the first time in her life. Apparantly she hated everything about it - the airport security, passport control, the flight, the language barrier, the different currency, the.different climate etc - and has vowed to never do it again. 70-odd quid on a passport - money well spent...!
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I could never dream of being stuck on this rock never wanting to explore the beautiful planet we live on.

Gives me the fear just thinking about that!!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't not ever travel abroad
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I haven't we only ever went to places in England and Wales when I was growing up (I am from Scotland) and I still only go to those countries now usually England. the furthest South I have been is London and the furthest north John O'Groats.

I don't have a passport and I am not even sure if I ever will.

I went to John O'Groats earlier this year, the place was a bit of a dump TBH. I'd have thought that they'd have made more of an attraction of the place, considering it's pretty famous. There were some lovely views of the Orkney Isles though.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    A cousin of mine, who is in her 40s, went abroad last month for the first time in her life. Apparantly she hated everything about it - the airport security, passport control, the flight, the language barrier, the different currency, the.different climate etc - and has vowed to never do it again.

I know someone like that as well. But to be honest, she's a whining git in the first place and hates everything in life. Everything for her is a hassle!
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I know someone like that as well. But to be honest, she's a whining git in the first place and hates everything in life. Everything for her is a hassle!
    Yes, that sounds a bit like my cousin too...
    Basically, her vow to never go abroad again can surely only be every other country's gain to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to John O'Groats earlier this year, the place was a bit of a dump TBH. I'd have thought that they'd have made more of an attraction of the place, considering it's pretty famous. There were some lovely views of the Orkney Isles though.

I went ten years ago now and had a similar opinion. It wasn't at all what I expected but yeah some nice views I guess. I wish I'd went on the ferry trip to Orkney now.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with travelling abroad is there's too many foreigners. It's bad enough they come over here and steal our jobs, women, council houses, etc but I can't even get away from them when I go on holiday.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 68,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    The problem with travelling abroad is there's too many foreigners. It's bad enough they come over here and steal our jobs, women, council houses, etc but I can't even get away from them when I go on holiday.

:D:D..
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »

You should try Tenerife. I went there with my ex years ago, it was a mass of Brits. The first foreign person I saw was a Chinese girl working in the "authentic English chippy". Trying Spanish food was almost impossible as all the bars sold English breakfasts, chips, etc, etc.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my relatives is well into his 40s and has never been outside of Cornwall. And does not want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    One of my relatives is well into his 40s and has never been outside of Cornwall. And does not want to.

That's mad lol I had an Aunt who had never left Scotland but to never leave a county wow.
  • Options
    ZebedoinkZebedoink Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I also went to Tenerife a few years back and also had difficulty finding Spanish food. We could get Chinese, Indian, British/European but no Spanish (paella/tapas, etc.) The (British) restaurant workers trying to entice you in seemed genuinely perplexed when we asked where we could get Spanish food and were dumbfounded when we indicated that pies flown in from England were not high on our list of desired dishes.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Isle of Wight, does that count?
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been abroad a few times. Netherlands, Spain.

Here's a question though, who classes Ireland as "abroad"?
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't and I'm 24. I want to travel one day but it isn't that big of a deal to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Here's a question though, who classes Ireland as "abroad"?

I don't as its in British Isles. Ditto The Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ditto Canvey Island ?
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol why on earth would anyone think the Isle of Wight is abroad?! I really love the Isle of Wight, it's one of my favourite places, but it's clearly part of Britain and not abroad! Or was your post sarcasm and it's gone way over my head? :blush::D
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member

That's a pretty common thing in Cornwall, then there's others who have only been as far as Plymouth, just over the bridge.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 39 and have left once for half a day on a school trip to St Omer in france, I didn't like it.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been to

Tenerife, Amsterdam 3 times, Texas, Australia 3 times, Italy, Turkey, day trips to Belgium when I use to be a smoker. The world is your oyster it is meant to be explored & can be cheaper than exploring parts of the UK
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My god! That's so grim, who'd ever want to live such a life! :o

Too many beautiful and wonderful places to see, life's too short!
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Male all my life and wouldn't change.