Options

The Emmerdale Discussion Thread (Spoilers in tags — Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    At the risk of getting my head bitten off - I think good looks can have the advantage of adding a bit of charm and attraction to an actor's performance, but that doesn't mean that all good looking people are brilliant actors. Anthony Quinlan, David Witts, Tony Discipline case in point.

I think the fact that Ross is a good looking, macho, bad boy character means that when it comes to the time for Michael Parr to deliver an emotional performance, it can make it all the more heartbreaking.

But having said all of that, Linda Henry and Steve McFadden are able to achieve a similar switch in their performances and I wouldn't describe them as particularly 'good looking', but they definitely provide the similar hardness and steeliness that Michael Parr does.

Whatever it is, I do think Michael Parr is particularly brilliant, as are many actors in Emmerdale, but Parr is really delivering at the moment.
    Who are/were they? I don't remember them either as characters or actors.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bib: I suspect that she (along with other Ross dissers) would have been cheering and thinking "Hooray! Bad boy Cain! Woo-hoo!"

Yet if Ross did it, the rants would come thick and fast.

As Alanis Morrisette once sang: Isn't it ironic?;-)
    If Ross hit a chicken over the head and stole its eggs to sell, certain people in here would be quick to say that Ross was just being a cheeky chappie. Which is Ironic as Alannis Morrissette wouldn'r say because she thinks it means 'bad luck.';-):p
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Who are/were they? I don't remember them either as characters or actors.

Oh Wyzed, even I know that Steve McFaddon is Phil Mitchell aka Mr Potatohead :D

I think the other one may be Shirley :D
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And funnily enough they both happen to be good looking - it's amazing how good looks can go a long way in determining whether an actor is "good" or not.

Jeff Hordley can be exceptional - when he gets the material

John Middleton has done some great stuff during his time there.

Even Dominic Brunt put in some fantastic performances during Aaron's coming out storyline.

Looks don't equate acting for me...if it did I'd think Kelvin Fletcher was the best actor on the show as I think he's way more attractive to me than Danny Miller or Micheal Parr. I think Charlotte Bellamy is one of the best actresses on the show, but is hardly one of the most attractive females on the show.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hee hee - just watching now.
    yes - he thinks it was Robert. :D

Janet Plank - where are you?
    We all know Ross clonking people over the head with heavy implements makes you annoyed.......how do you feel about Cain grabbing people by their lapels and slamming them up against walls?

Are you shouting at your telly again? :D

I like Cain; he only deals with people who deserve a good hiding. Ross just gives people brain damage for money, when he can't find a car to steal. I didn't have time to watch last evening, but Ross probably put somebody in the B.H.W (Bashed Head Ward) at Wetherfield General. I will start watching again when the 'big cull' has happened, hoping some of the writers will be on the list of fatalities..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Wyzed, even I know that Steve McFaddon is Phil Mitchell aka Mr Potatohead :D

I think the other one may be Shirley :D
    So do they live in Robblesfield or Hotten or somewhere? Don't remember them being mentioned. Only Shirley I know of in it is Edna.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you are lucky, that would be Freddy aka :o and Lindsey on Hollyoaks...one of the worst soap couples ever no chemistry, they can't act and they are propped up like they are the greatest thing ever.

Please Please I beg you not to pollute Emmerdale with anything about that absolutely unwatchable show, I can't even fast forward to the good bits anymore like I used to since there aren't any, none at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    Donna was no better than Debbie! She was a lying, cheating, selfish, criminal, murdering bitch.

Your hate for the unspeakable one is still a big as ever then Star heh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG! I need to watch this again!!!!

HOW did Cain know Ross was the baby's father???????

I really must pay more attention.

He happened to be looking at Moses when Moira was telling him about Ross's visits to jail and was wondering why he would do that and promptly made the logic soap leap of the decade.

Amazingly people actually talked to each other and shared information, that never happens in soap,more has happened this week to forward all the plots than normally happen in six months, its got to with next weeks big event surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donna was a more of a "rootable" character than Debbie. She is nasty to everyone, selfish...and not in an entertaining diva type way like her mother is. Debbie is hard, cold, unfeeling and emotionless which makes hard to care about her. And this current story with Ross is only making her worse.

Yes well Star's hatred for Donna is long standing and for a specific reason I won't talk about here for fear of her Wrath which is terrible when it comes to Donna.:D:D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't like Danny Miller or Micheal Parr?:o They are two of the best actors on the show. Just out of curiosity who do you think are the strongest actors on the show?

I have no opinion on the actors themselves other than they are by no means the strongest actorsbut the characters they play are hateful, and we don't need both of them since they are essentially the same character.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »

Whatever it is, I do think Michael Parr is particularly brilliant, as are many actors in Emmerdale, but Parr is really delivering at the moment.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Then why are these amazingly brilliant actors working very long hours in a soap doing the same character for years for reletively very modest levels of pay:confused: Again as I said elsewhere ED has not produced one single star actor in its 40 + year history. Some look half decent because they look good when compared to the truly atrocious actors that plague ED and soaps. When you're in a show acting with the likes of the Rishi, Jai, Kirin, Priya, David, Ali, Ruby, Rachel, Dan, Jimmy, Chrissie, Lachlan, Tracy, Adam, Victoria, Pete it isn't hard to look quite good.
    Why aren't these incredibly actors in ED being headhunted by producers and given good roles in quality dramas or movies? If Michael is a quarter as good as you and others think he is he will soon walk away from ED and move on to bigger and better things. Maybe he will be the first to make it on ED and go on to be a star???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And funnily enough they both happen to be good looking - it's amazing how good looks can go a long way in determining whether an actor is "good" or not.

Jeff Hordley can be exceptional - when he gets the material

John Middleton has done some great stuff during his time there.

Even Dominic Brunt put in some fantastic performances during Aaron's coming out storyline.

It's a bit patronising to say people mainly like actors for their looks. Tweenies do that kind of thing with boybands but not adults with actors.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    spunger wrote: »
    :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

Then why are these amazingly brilliant actors working very long hours in a soap doing the same character for years for reletively very modest levels of pay:confused: Again as I said elsewhere ED has not produced one single star actor in its 40 + year history. Some look half decent because they look good when compared to the truly atrocious actors that plague ED and soaps. When you're in a show acting with the likes of the Rishi, Jai, Kirin, Priya, David, Ali, Ruby, Rachel, Dan, Jimmy, Chrissie, Lachlan, Tracy, Adam, Victoria, Pete it isn't hard to look quite good.
    Why aren't these incredibly actors in ED being headhunted by producers and given good roles in quality dramas or movies? If Michael is a quarter as good as you and others think he is he will soon walk away from ED and move on to bigger and better things. Maybe he will be the first to make it on ED and go on to be a star???

Oh come on! Why do you always have to jump on anyone who enjoys the acting on Emmerdale? Just accept it, and let us enjoy it.

Yes Mike Parr might leave. Yes, he might get better jobs, or he might sink without trace. That's all for the future. Just let us enjoy him now! He's decent. Ross is a good character. He's getting crap storylines at the moment, but that's not his fault.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Your hate for the unspeakable one is still a big as ever then Star heh

Tell me I'm wrong :p
    Yes well Star's hatred for Donna is long standing and for a specific reason I won't talk about here for fear of her Wrath which is terrible when it comes to Donna.:D:D:o

Wise move, love ;-)

Jenna is doing pretty good for herself so far :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me I'm wrong :p

Wise move, love ;-)

Jenna is doing pretty good for herself so far :)

But Jenna is not an ED product who went from ED straight onto DR Who. It's taken years for her to get to where she is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Jenna is not an ED product who went from ED straight onto DR Who. It's taken years for her to get to where she is now.

She left ED in 2009 and started DW in 2011. Only a couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on! Why do you always have to jump on anyone who enjoys the acting on Emmerdale? Just accept it, and let us enjoy it.

Yes Mike Parr might leave. Yes, he might get better jobs, or he might sink without trace. That's all for the future. Just let us enjoy him now! He's decent. Ross is a good character. He's getting crap storylines at the moment, but that's not his fault.

That is half my problem. Why can"t people just enjoy the characters and actors wirhout resorting to posting ridiculous OTT hyper nonsense? If Exeter City fans posted on a sports forum saying how amazingly brilliant their teams players are they would be laughed off the forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She left ED in 2009 and started DW in 2011. Only a couple of years.

She did other roles after ED. She is not an ED product.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I like Michael Parr, I think he's a great actor, but I don't like Ross.

I don't think Danny Miller is all that good as all he can do is cry, scowl and look miserable (although he was smiling enough in that Amarillo video:D), and I don't like Aaron.

I think Ryan Hawley is really good, but I hate Robert.

IMO Jeff Hordley is the best actor on ED and I love Cain.

I don't think Pete's actor ( don't know his name!) is very good, but I like Pete.

Just liking all the actors whose characters you like and disliking the ones whose characters you don't is a bit blinkered, the characters and actors aren't one and the same.

We all like for different reasons.

Some characters are VERY like the actors - Adam for instance.
    Some characters are nothing like the actors - Sam for instance.
    And that brings us into a whole 'nother argument....... is an actor who is nothing like their character a better actor than an actor who is just 'playing themselves' and just does the same thing all the time in every role they play?

This debate has kept us all talking for ages,maybe its time it did again. :D

I think Mike Parr is doing a good job. I don't think he's good looking.
    And spunger, I do think some adults let their opinions of what is good acting get clouded by an actors looks.
    But then you know that. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is your argument exactly, in a post uppage you claim that all Emmerdale actors ever have sunk without trace and never will and now your claiming that Jenna hasn't sunk without trace but give Emmerdale no credit even though she was in it for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Analysis central usual and Unusual things about Emmerdale last night.

1) Tootsis, she deliberately tried to kill Sandy by running round and round he legs with her lead to trip him up, how did she get out of the house though since she both had her lead on and the door was shut.

2) Sharing information - see Moira and Cain if you talk to each other, don't keep secrets and share information you both have you manage to work out what's going on in regard to Ross and Moses. in about 5 seconds.

3) Poor moses half the tim he was a doll last night.

4) Cain,Dross and Debbie - great scene with Cain telling Debbie the facts and Debbie realising the truth much to her horror.

5) Debbie thinks she made a great error in regard to Gennie - you think.

6)Pete nice guy but soooooooooooooooo stupid.

7) Finn and Victoria are so good in scenes together, pity one of them is bound to die in the big event next week

8) Chrissie and Andy had a great scene together commiserating over Katie and Robert and Chrissie falling over was one of the funniest scenes in agaes..

9) Robert, Lachlan and Lawrence one of them is likely to do something stupid aren't they.

10) Eric had another great scene reading that memorial address but the whole storyline is very stupid.

11) Ruby and Sandy - Ruby was very good with Sandy

12) Harriet this prisoner thing is going to rebound on her big time at some point isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So? She started on ED. She got her other roles off the back of ED. Of course she is an ED product. That was her first job and where she got her other roles from.
    What is your argument exactly, in a post uppage you claim that all Emmerdale actors ever have sunk without trace and never will and now your claiming that Jenna hasn't sunk without trace but give Emmerdale no credit even though she was in it for years.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Analysis central usual and Unusual things about Emmerdale last night.

1) Tootsis, she deliberately tried to kill Sandy by running round and round he legs with her lead to trip him up, how did she get out of the house though since she both had her lead on and the door was shut.

2) Sharing information - see Moira and Cain if you talk to each other, don't keep secrets and share information you both have you manage to work out what's going on in regard to Ross and Moses. in about 5 seconds.

3) Poor moses half the tim he was a doll last night.

4) Cain,Dross and Debbie - great scene with Cain telling Debbie the facts and Debbie realising the truth much to her horror.

5) Debbie thinks she made a great error in regard to Gennie - you think.

6)Pete nice guy but soooooooooooooooo stupid.

7) Finn and Victoria are so good in scenes together, pity one of them is bound to die in the big event next week

8) Chrissie and Andy had a great scene together commiserating over Katie and Robert and Chrissie falling over was one of the funniest scenes in agaes..

9) Robert, Lachlan and Lawrence one of them is likely to do something stupid aren't they.

10) Eric had another great scene reading that memorial address but the whole storyline is very stupid.

11) Ruby and Sandy - Ruby was very good with Sandy

12) Harriet this prisoner thing is going to rebound on her big time at some point isn't it?

1st BIB: Tootsie is the new Cameron. Evil. Sandy is just the first. You heard it here first. :cool:

2nd BIB: I laughed mightily. I love Chrissie. :D

3rd BIB: Yup. Probably all three. :p
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is half my problem. Why can"t people just enjoy the characters and actors wirhout resorting to posting ridiculous OTT hyper nonsense? If Exeter City fans posted on a sports forum saying how amazingly brilliant their teams players are they would be laughed off the forum.

Because people get excited when they enjoy something or someone. Football forums are full of hyperbole. In fact, most forums online are full of hyperbole because people are humans and not robots. We talk with emotion, not cold, scientific logic.